2013 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'll give an update for you non QLD/NSW peeps as soon as he mentions anything.

yourhero wrote:You would have to think it would be a retirement announcement.

I take it your preference would be the former?
Yea it has to be him calling it a day, surely.

Tough to see a player retire but I think it's time for him personally. He hasn't quite handled the speed of the game so far and we've got youngsters waiting in the wings.

Hopefully he does stay around in a coaching role.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think many of us have held the opinion that coaching has been a part of the plan since the day he re-signed.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Storm's Finch hopes for coaching role

Melbourne veteran Brett Finch says this NRL season is set to be his last but he's hoping to stay with the Storm in a coaching role.

After 15 seasons, Finch - who turned 32 this week - feels it's time to make way for the next generation of players.

"I think I'll hang them up which was always my plan," the five-eighth said ahead of their Sunday clash with Parramatta at AAMI Park.

"I need to sort something out soon because I need to get a job somewhere."

He said he hoped to stay a part of Melbourne, which was a reason for his return to the club.

The former Canberra halfback played in a grand final with Sydney Roosters in 2004 and won a premiership with Melbourne in 2009 which was later stripped, before joining Wigan in the Super League where he pocketed a Challenge Cup winners medal in 2011.

He spent two seasons there before returning this year to the Storm, where he has chalked up a total of 50 games.

His value to the defending champions sky-rocketed following a season-ending hip injury to Gareth Widdop, with Finch taking over the playmaking role.

Finch is the first to admit he took some time to again get used to the pace of the NRL and was grateful coach Craig Bellamy gave him time to keep working at his game.

Over the past month, he and star halfback Cooper Cronk have clicked, which has been crucial to the Storm's return to form.

"I struggled for about a month; it had been two-and-a-half years since I'd played NRL and I was off the pace," he said.

"I found it quite hard and I was struggling to find my feet.

"I feel a lot better now but I don't have the world's hardest job to do and, once the boys came from Origin, it certainly made things easier for me."

The Storm have spent the week in Nelson Bay, south of Newcastle, following their hard-fought 13-point win over the Knights.

They've used the time to recharge and also plan for their finals campaign.

http://www.nrl.com/storms-finch-hopes-f ... um=twitter
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looks like the footy show has been scooped :lol:
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep Finchy retiring.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Salford's Jewitt hot property
Three of the strongest clubs in the NRL have expressed interest in barnstorming Salford prop Lee Jewitt. Souths, Manly and Melbourne are all talking to Jewitt's management hoping to lure the talented front-rower to the NRL. A Wigan junior, 26-year-old Jewitt has played over 100 games for Salford and is regarded as one of the most consistent front-rowers in British football. He also has the ability to play long minutes - a feature of his game that has drawn the attention of the three NRL clubs involved in talks.
The success of the Burgess brothers in the NRL has opened the door to a host of other English players hopeful for a crack at the NRL. In recent years, there have been barely any Brits in the NRL - but talent scouts are now taking a long look at the British game and all that is about to change.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/news/n ... day-249457
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Someone needs to tell me how Souths and Manly have got room in the salary cap. All the big game players have back ended contracts should be off loading players, not buying them.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lee Jewitt sounds promising and sounds like he would be a good addition to our forward pack if he signs with us.

With Widdop and Finch both leaving at the end of the year, we have a couple of holes to fill in the halves. Notwithstanding the fact that Hampton (or McGahan) should get first crack at the number 6 jersey, I think we should sign Cody Walker from Easts Tigers to fill one of the gaps in the halves.
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Confirmation that Lodge is in full time squad next year
As a Melbourne Storm trainee, Lodge completed some pre-season training with the NRL squad and will join the full-time senior list in 2014.

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news-d ... gn=Tuesday
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lol u are too fast
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I dont care about that guy. A quick look on his facebook shows me that hes going to be a temporary fixture unless he matures at a quick rate, if he sticks around for good then I will be concerned at what the club is turning into.

He openly talks about 'month long benders' and a 'passionate hate for all gay people'. That doesnt represent anything to do with Melbourne Storm on any level and its not something I want to be associated with as a supporter because a view like that will grow.

Oh and I have left out the fact that if you are a storm supporter/rugby league supporter and you speak in your native language while you are in Australia you can "get lima lima lima duck" according to our newest scholar.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ummm..
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well hopefully instead of worrying if its in the public domain the club gets Bellamy to sit him down and have a not so quiet word with him.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Wow what a douche.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thats pretty shit if its true. Do you have a link Nacho? I've tried finding his profile on FB and come up with nothing.