Round1- Raiders vs Storm.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

Ino its still two weeks till round one, but i'd like too see your opinions on what you think the storms line-up should/will look like?

Well for starters i have a feeling were gunna put it all over the raiders and win by 20+.
Now for the line-up im really liking mahe fonua, his a future star and his got alot of talent! but i think if he is gunna make his debut its gunna be on home turf which is rd 2 but idk..
Line-up i would like too see for Rd 1:

1.billy slater
2.duffman
3.fonua,chamber,danger( not sure there but would like to see fonua)
4.justin oneil ( needs more ball, his being wasted out on the wing)
5.sisa waqa
6.gareth widdop
7.cooper cronk
8.jesse bromwich
9.cameron smith
10.jason ryles
11.kevin proctor
12.sika manu
13. ryan hoffman

Interchange:
14.hinchy
15.bryan norrie
16.greenfield
17.vave

18. maurice blair

I would love to see vave in the top 17, from what i seen last year this big boy can make alot of impact which is what we missed last year abit i think, and his the one i reckon. Well thats my opinion anyway..
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

here is the line up I think will be there Rd 1

1. Slater
2. Duffie
3. Chambers
4. Neilson
5. O'Niel
6. Widdop
7. Cronk
8. Norrie
9. Smith (c)
10. Bromwich
11. Manu
12. Hoffman
13. Proctor

14. Hinchy
15. Blair/Quinn
16. Vave/Ryles
17. Lowe/Greenfield
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This is my Round 1 line-up. Injuries aside, I just hope Bellyache keeps a consistant backline this year. At the end of last year, I thought a few of the new recruits might not be any good, but after having good trials, they look like they will make a presence in the first 17 this year.

1. Billy Slater - Obvious.
2. Matt Duffie - Needs to work on his defence this year and hopefully has bulked up a bit. Otherwise, all good.
3. Will Chambers - I hope Chambers replaces the overrated Dane Nielsen. Chambers is a much better player and has a better all round game.
4. Justin O'Neill - O'Neill has to play centre this year, he struggled on the wing last year and I hope he stays injury free.
5. Anthony Quinn - I've still got my faith in Quinny that he can keep doing what he does best, scoring short range tries from inside the opp 20.
6. Gareth Widdop - Widdop has to take the reigns away from Cronk more this year and start working on his kicking game.
7. Cooper Cronk - Obvious selection, but Cronk needs to stop being a kicking hog and let Widdop take the pressure off him this year.
8. Jesse Bromwich - Had a great year last year as a starting prop, but needs to keep it up this year and not let his good form drop away.
9. Cam Smith (C) - Obvious.
10. Bryan Norrie - Should keep his spot in the starting line-up.
11. Sika Manu - Had a supurb 2011 and was the only forward last year to make any decent metres at the end of the season. Hope he stays injury free.
12. Kevin Proctor - Deserves his spot in the starting line-up after being the only player to play every game for the Storm last year.
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe - Bellyache needs to get Hincy off the bench. It's time for him to step up to another level and play lock for the whole year.

14. Rory Kostjasyn - Should most likely be the utility off the bench this year. Very underrated player.
15. Ryan Hoffman - I think Hoffy should play on the bench this year and come on the field after twenty minutes of game play and make an impact.
16. Jason Ryles - At 33, Ryles might be the oldest player but the Storm didn't sign him to play in the NSW Cup. He is a big unit and will bring much needed size to the forwards
17. Mitch Garbutt - A huge front rower and like Ryles, should make a very big impact in the forwards this year.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

No love for todd lowrie here
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

1. Billy Slater
2. Justin O'Niell
3. Dane Nielsen
4. Maurice Blair
5. Will Chambers
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Bryan Norrie
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Jesse Bromwich
11. Sika Manu
12. Kevin Proctor
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Rory Kostjasyn
15. Jason Ryles
16. Ryan Hoffman
17. Sisova Vave
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

NevilleB wrote:No love for todd lowrie here
I think Todd is a consistent player, but unfortunately I don't think there is any room for him in the starting 17 this year. He will probably spend the year being on standby and covering for injuries while playing most of his games in the NSW Cup.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm surprised about the lack of love for one of our best players last season: Maurice Blair. Imho if he'd been fit for the prelim we would have made the GF. Unfortunately - a dismal Beau Champion meant we didn't. Harsh I know but fair. Blair was one of our best week in and week out. Unless he's under an injury cloud he's earned a walk in start at centre.

1. Slater
2. Duffie
3. Chambers
4. Blair
5. O'Neil
6. Widdop
7. Cronk

8. Norrie
9. Smith
10. Bromwich
11. Manu
12. Proctor
13. Hinchcliffe

14. Hoffman
15. J Lowe
16. Ryles (if fit)/Greenfield
17. Kostjasyn

Hoffman may start but I'm keen to give Hinchy first crack and see Hoffs impact off the bench. Lowe did enough to earn a spot this year but hoping he's put in the hard yards to warrant Bellamy selecting him. He may be a week 2 or 3 call up.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree, can't believe some of you don't have Bobby in your teams. He was so good when he played for us last year, in attack and defense. Wouldn't be dropping Danger either, he was good last year too and played Origin. If I was going to drop anyone in the backline it would have to be Duffie, I thought he was quite weak in the back end of 2011.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ryles wont be playing Rd 1
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

1. Slater
2. Duffie
3. Chambers/Fonua
4. O'Niel
5. Waqa
6. Widdop
7. Cronk
8. Norrie
9. Smith (c)
10. Bromwich
11. Proctor
12. Hoffman
13. Hinchy

14. Blair
15. Manu
16. Ryles
17. Greenfield

Blair's skill and defence last year is why i have him as utility
check out the speed in the back line, wouldn't that be good to see at full flight
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

For the love of all that is good and holy can we stop throwing up Sisa Waqa as a prospect to play any first grade in 2012!?

I'd like to see Blair get the nod to be honest. I would be very loathe to throw chambers back in straight away. Put him in NSW Cup to find his feet. The guy has spent 2 seasons in the centres catching a cold playing rugby. He's probably forgotten how to tackle. I reckon Quinny and Juzzy will be looking over their shoulder at Mahe Fonua. From what I've seen he has potentially to shake up the make up of our three-quarter line. My round one team would be;

1.Slater 2. Duffie 3. Nielsen 4. Blair 5. Fonua 6. Widdop 7. Cronk 8. J. Bromwhich 9. Smith 10. Norrie 11. Proctor 12. Hoffman 13. Hinchcliffe

Res: 14. Kostjaysn 15. Greenfield 16. Manu
17. Ryles (if fit).

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

whats waqa done to you?
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Diehard_Storm wrote:I'm surprised about the lack of love for one of our best players last season: Maurice Blair. Imho if he'd been fit for the prelim we would have made the GF. Unfortunately - a dismal Beau Champion meant we didn't. Harsh I know but fair. Blair was one of our best week in and week out. Unless he's under an injury cloud he's earned a walk in start at centre.
I don't think Blair will get much game time this year. He is a good player, but he is very injury prone.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

LESStar58 wrote:For the love of all that is good and holy can we stop throwing up Sisa Waqa as a prospect to play any first grade in 2012!?
Agree, Waqa is an Elmer Fudd. He can have an OK game one week where the best thing he does is score a very simple try and might make a good catch but he will have an absolute shocker the next. Remember the game against Parramatta last year?
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

I agree with you leSSstar58 about mahe on the wing! He is the one everyone is going to be looking behind there shoulder at, im a fan of mahe and I think he would be a better choice pick for wing then quinn and sisa. His got the afl leap. The try he scored against broncos was the best try of the game. He looks the goods, his also a very powerful and strong player. I'd have him and duffie on my wings with Oneil and bobby/chambers .

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image