Cooper Cronk Press Conference

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cooper had a press conference today and he didn't give away any hints as to what his future will be 2013 onwards. Does anyone think he is going to hide his decision for as long as possible?

Interview video is on Melbourne Storm website.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

league week stats he will do it in the next two weeks....

in my opinion if it goes longer he has left the club
storm77
Squall
Squall

Let him go.

I know he has been a great contributor to this franchise but we have to look to the future.

We have a number of young 6/s and 7/s that we need to look to for the future.

I would say the same thing if it is a choice between Billy and a great up and coming FB or if it was Cam and a great up and coming hooker.

The administration should always be looking to put the future of the team first and who knows how much longer any of the three are going to play or play at the level that they have.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I would like Cam,Billy and Coops to stay and help out the up and comings, so our club can maintain its standard.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Luke Kelly is the future. Cronk usually signs as soon as he can.
Kelly is alot like Cooper from the few games I've seen of him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Coops has not even mentioned that his first preference is to stay with the Storm...that's what I am disappointed with.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

surely he wouldn't announce his intentions before the season has even started... right?
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Havent watched the interview yet but let me guess, cliche, cliche, cliche, yawn, yawn, yawn.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Michael :P wrote:Havent watched the interview yet but let me guess, cliche, cliche, cliche, yawn, yawn, yawn.
Pretty much, I watched the whole interview but I was bored after about a minute of it. It was so predictable what Coops was going to say (something along the lines of "I understand it's a topic of discussion/point of interest but there is no point speculating over things I haven't done yet. I understand that in due course there will be a process that will have to take part but until then there is not much to discuss about it"). I just wish Coops would just hurry up and make up his mind whether he is staying or going because this is exactly like what happened with Kimmorley and Orford - they dragged out their decision for too long and all it did was disrupt the club with unnecessary pressure and speculation.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Sorry guys don't really know how to cut in paste but here goes :
Sign-up
BETA VERSION
10:15PM Wednesday Feb 15, 2012 3,538 online nowSee today's paperFairfax DigitalSMH Real Estate Cars Jobs Dating Newsletters More
The Sydney Morning Herald
League HQ
News
Ladder
Fixtures
Experts
Clubs
Tipping
Live Scores
State of Origin
You are here: Home Sport League HQ League News Article
Search smh: Search in:
Rugby League
Domino effect: Cronk's decision to impact on rival halfbacks
Brad Walter
February 15, 2012
Read later

"Rumours are already doing the rounds in league circles that Cronk is set to join South Sydney as part of a halfback merry-go-round." Photo: Stuart Walmsley
A MEETING between Cooper Cronk and his agent in Melbourne next week may hold the key to this season's NRL player transfer market, with rival clubs closely monitoring whatever decision he makes on his future.

Earmarked to be the Australian and Queensland halfback following Darren Lockyer's retirement at the end of last season, Cronk is the biggest name off-contract this year. If he decides to leave the Storm it will have a ripple effect on the player market.

Rumours are already doing the rounds in league circles that Cronk is set to join South Sydney as part of a halfback merry-go-round that involves Brisbane's Peter Wallace heading to Melbourne and the Broncos luring Daly Cherry-Evans home to Queensland from Manly.

Advertisement: Story continues below
However, Cronk's manager, Chris Orr, denies having yet spoken to any other club about the Storm star halfback and Souths, Brisbane and the Storm all insist there is no truth to the speculation.

''All this speculation is going around and around, and there hasn't even been a conversation. That will happen next week,'' Orr said. ''I have had someone ask me if the Knights were a chance, and another guy rang and said was there any truth to the story I had been seen at The Coffee Club with the Broncos chief executive [Paul White].

''I don't know where people get that stuff from. All I get is people saying this club is interested or that club is interested, but I am not taking anyone's calls from a club point of view until I sit down with my client. There is no use a club being interested in him if he is not interested in going that way so I am not having any discussions with any club about Cooper until I know what direction he wants to head.''

Cronk has been linked to Souths, the Broncos and the Melbourne Rebels Super Rugby franchise during the off-season but the 28-year-old has played a dead bat to all questions about his future. The Herald has been told by rival club officials and player agents that Cronk was headed to Redfern next season to play under former Storm assistant coach Michael Maguire, and the Broncos had now turned their attention to Cherry-Evans.

Rabbitohs officials insist they have had no contact with Cronk and are not even sure they would make him an offer as Maguire has confidence in rookie halfback Adam Reynolds and wants to give him a chance to secure the No.7 jersey.

However, it is understood Souths would be in a position to make Cronk a substantial offer as the club does not have any players with clauses in their contracts entitling them to a pay increase of the same percentage that the salary cap rises at next year. Some clubs are banking on the salary cap being raised by to $1 million when the new television deal is finalised.

Should the cap increase by that amount, Manly will come under pressure to give Cherry-Evans a significant upgrade on the contract he signed before winning the rookie of the year and representing Australia in his debut NRL season.

Cherry-Evans is signed to the Sea Eagles for another two seasons but he has been linked to Brisbane as a fall-back for Cronk. However, Broncos football manager Andrew Gee said the club had not spoken to either Cronk or Cherry-Evans and was determined to retain Wallace.

''We are very keen to keep Peter here, we have been talking to him for a couple of months and there will be a formal offer coming soon,'' Gee said. ''There has been interest in him from other clubs … but Peter has told us he is keen to stay here so I am sure we will get a deal done in the next few weeks.''

Wallace's manager Allan Gainey recently expressed his frustration at Brisbane's announcement of five other re-signings before even tabling an offer for the former NSW Origin halfback and suggested Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy would be interested.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... z1mRrU3ZEU
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mystormboys wrote: Rumours are already doing the rounds in league circles that Cronk is set to join South Sydney as part of a halfback merry-go-round that involves Brisbane's Peter Wallace heading to Melbourne and the Broncos luring Daly Cherry-Evans home to Queensland from Manly.
Rumours of Peter Wallace joining the Storm - I didn't see that one coming :?
staticash
Squall
Squall

If Cronk leaves it would be a horrible idea to sign Wallace... In saying that I don't think the mighty storm would even consider that with the likes of Luke Kelly waiting for his chance to take the number 7 jersey and make it his own.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
S.W.A.S
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

luke kelly knows melbourne storms style, attitude and training expectations. why bring wallace in? it doesn't make sense. also with hampton and mcgahan coming through there is no need to bring in other halves. to me it sounds like a desperate reporter listening to a random drunk at the pub.

but cronks manager let some info slip:

''I don't know where people get that stuff from. All I get is people saying this club is interested or that club is interested, but I am not taking anyone's calls from a club point of view until I sit down with my client. There is no use a club being interested in him if he is not interested in going that way so I am not having any discussions with any club about Cooper until I know what direction he wants to head.''
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Starting to feel sick :(
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have absolutely no ideal why but i'm feeling pretty comfortable about the situation. Usually i'd be fretting badly and while i have no idea what he's thinking and i could be epically wrong, i don't think he'll be going anywhere.