Cooper Cronk is open to offers after putting Storm on hold

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sunday Telegraph 22nd January, 2012

THE asking price to lure Cooper Cronk away from the Melbourne Storm has been set at $850,000 a season by his management team.
It would make Cronk the NRL's highest-paid player, eclipsing Storm team-mates Billy Slater and Cameron Smith and Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston.

South Sydney have been identified as the early favourite to sign Cronk should he leave Melbourne, with the old Storm connection of new coach Michael Maguire, Greg Inglis, Michael Crocker and Matt King a strong selling point.

The Storm hoped to have Cronk signed, sealed and delivered before the start of the season, but the representative halfback now intends to test his value on the open market.

With a substantial increase in the NRL's salary cap guaranteed once a new television deal is set, Cronk finds himself in a strong bargaining position.

As a proven marquee playmaker, the Melbourne halfback is a rare commodity. And if Parramatta are prepared to pay $550,000 a season for Chris Sandow, then how much is a playmaker with State of Origin, Test match and grand final experience worth?

On the Four Nations Tour of the UK last year, Cronk said he was in no rush to negotiate his next contract.

"Obviously you want to play for as long as you can, (but) I'm not one that's going to try and start hanging on for every last breath once I start losing the passion," Cronk said. "Everyone knows their time. I'm still 28, so I've got at least five years left.

"I'll play footy, I'll enjoy a holiday and then I'll sort out what I have to do."

South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson refused to be drawn on whether the Rabbitohs were interested in Cronk. However, Melbourne chief executive Ron Gauci confirmed Cronk's agent Chris Orr had indicated before Christmas his intention to test the interest from rival clubs.

Questioned about the $850,000 price tag, Gauci said: "We're certainly aware of what numbers are out there and we feel our intelligence is fairly accurate."

Gauci urged NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert to scrutinise the third-party elements of any offers from rival clubs.

"It's always hard to tell when everyone is negotiating, but from our point of view he's an integral part of our team and we're going to do whatever we can within the rules of the game to keep him," Gauci said.

"From our point of view, all we ask is that the salary cap auditor monitors the third-party payments that will be used to entice him. And there's no doubt they will be used to entice him.

"We're hoping that Cooper's experience with the club and history with the players around him will come into play when he considers his future. We very much see his future at Storm, hopefully he sees it the same way.

"The impression I get from the conversations we've had before Christmas is that he would rather take the field and know what he's doing rather than have this drag out."

Orr said he was unable to comment on negotiations until he sat down with Cronk in Melbourne later this month.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Where is Cooper quoted as saying he wants $850k? Where is Cooper or his manager quoted saying he is entertaining the thought of leaving? Ohhhh James Hooper article now i see. Wanker. I'll bite and have my say, Cronk is not worth that and even though i like the kid, bye bye if you want to hold the club ransom. Kelly, Hampton, McGahn and Kostjasyn are all waiting for a chance. Slater and Smith have made Coops appear better then he is, and Cronk has never had to play without them at any level, i think Cooper should be very careful here.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently Hampton has been very impressive during the pre-season

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently Hampton has been very impressive during the pre-season

Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Would obviously love Cooper to stay...but not if his salary demands tear the Storm's fee structure apart and place financial pressure on the retention of other players and a decent roster.

Storm have obviously experienced massive financial pressures in 2006 - 2010 to keep their playing list and stars together (albeit manufactured by some less than scrupulous work by some execs). It will never happen again I would suggest.

I agree....any of Hampton, Kelly, McGahan and Kostjasyn MAY be handy (not identical, superior or even guaranteed) replacements....however there might be an even better option on the horizon if Cooper decides to leave.

850k seems far too high even for a top quality half, but if Copper is offered that money I can see why he would leave.

I could also see reasons why he would stay at Storm for 75% of that money.

I hope Coop doesn't turn it into a sideshow event that disrupts the Club....I'd love him to make a quick decision to either stay or leave....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
staticash
Squall
Squall

I dunno about u guys but last season I found coopers kicking game way to repetitive, in saying that I wouldn't mind some fresh blood at halfback who can mix it up a bit. I think coops deserves his chance to chase the money he has served us well I just hope it's not 850k a year from us it will be a waste of money.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
S.W.A.S
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

imo his kicking game turned to crap last year! he tried to torpedo or float the ball nearly every kick, which resulted in less metres and it being misdirected.

when i think about the clubs who have signed players on big money already, the only options should only be broncos, raiders (if dugan leaves), penrith, and maybe warriors. even then broncos have a lot of players they are re-signing to go with all their rep players.

about this 850k asking price, i think clubs will come close to that, i thought adam blairs 500k price was ridiculous, but he got it didn't he?
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Isn't the $850000 pricetag only being bandied about because of the impending TV deal? If that's so its not really a case of Cooper being greedy but more a sign of things to come with new contact negotiations for all players as they renegotiate. Under the current cap I don't think any player is worth that much but if that's what a new is worth then everyone is going to beer throwing that sort of money around. Also if the Rabbits or Nags manage to sign him then they better have a very close look at where the money is coming from

mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Personally I hope this is sorted out real quick - It would be great to start a season without drama
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i want mcgahan to stay so if cooper goes its no big deal...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

If he wants to go, let him go. We've seen it all before. Remember Kimmorley leaving at the end of 2000, Orford turned out to be a very good halfback for the club. Remeber Orford leaving at the end of 2005, Cronk turned out to be an even better halfback. I think the time is right for a new halfback.

Cronk has been a club legend, but if he decides to scarper, Luke Kelly or maybe even Rory Kostjasyn could turn out surprise packets in the number 7 jersey in 2013. As long as Bellamy is at the club, it is all good - he will create someone into a halfback. He made Cronk the player he is and without Bellyache, Cronk would have remained a fringe first grader and probably would have faded away long ago.

It does surprise me that Cronk would be offered more money than Golden Boot winner Jonathon Thurston or even Billy and Cam. He is just not as good as them. I agree with a few comments here, his kicking game is no where near as good as it was and his game style has completely changed and become predictable.

Alarm bells must be ringing at the Rabbitohs if they think they are in the market for Cronk at $850,000. Just hope this doesn't distract the Storm's season this year.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Regardless of whether Cooper Cronk stays or goes - Or if he is paid anywhere near that ridiculous sum of money only one thing is certain !!
That ONLY MELBOURNE STORM will be subjected to scrutiny & vitriol over 'salary cap' .Every other club appears to be a protected species with paper bag & 'exempt' ? 3rd party deals :evil:
I DON'T CARE WHICH PLAYERS STAY OR GO !!
It is after all their job & their future.
I will support & defend our entire playing roster.Both 1st grade & U20's
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

mattstormy wrote:Alarm bells must be ringing at the Rabbitohs if they think they are in the market for Cronk at $850,000.
Don't be silly. Everyone knows it's only Storm players who need to be concerned about alarm bells ringing. I mean, it's not as if club owners, administrators, player agents or the league need to concern themselves with those silly alarm bells. Just the Storm players.

If Cronk's agent isn't shopping him around to see what other clubs are willing to pay for him then he's not doing his job properly. Just because a figure of $850k is being thrown around, it doesn't mean that a) a club is 100% committed to offering that much, b) Cooper actually thinks he's worth it or c) Cooper isn't willing to take less to stay in Melbourne. If someone wants to pay him that much and he takes the deal - fine. Just know that I'll be laughing pretty hard if another club explodes due to the salary cap.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

mattstormy wrote:If he wants to go, let him go. We've seen it all before. Remember Kimmorley leaving at the end of 2000, Orford turned out to be a very good halfback for the club. Remeber Orford leaving at the end of 2005, Cronk turned out to be an even better halfback. I think the time is right for a new halfback.

Cronk has been a club legend, but if he decides to scarper, Luke Kelly or maybe even Rory Kostjasyn could turn out surprise packets in the number 7 jersey in 2013. As long as Bellamy is at the club, it is all good - he will create someone into a halfback. He made Cronk the player he is and without Bellyache, Cronk would have remained a fringe first grader and probably would have faded away long ago. It does surprise me that Cronk would be offered more money than Golden Boot winner Jonathon Thurston or even Billy and Cam. He is just not as good as them. I agree with a few comments here, his kicking game is no where near as good as it was and his game style has completely changed and become predictable.Alarm bells must be ringing at the Rabbitohs if they think they are in the market for Cronk at $850,000. Just hope this doesn't distract the Storm's season this year.
Agree with all the statements but re the ones in bold...the thing is CB creates or molds players to fit the team and game plan (and it works) but maybe thats why his kicking game has become so predictable? Cronk didn't remain a fringe player because CB & co. saw something in him & its been proven more often than not...could another coach have done that? Probably not, but maybe if he had got a break somewhere else that natural talent (or whatever it was CB saw in him in the first place) might have developed into something more, less predictable, etc, who knows because thats not what happened. I would say Cronk is very grateful to CB & Storm for the chances he has got & he may well have not got anywhere else. I'm sure he would be grateful to have learnt his craft at NRL level under a coach that knows how to bring the best out of players like few others can. Good luck to him - who knows whats still in store for him?
it would be really interesting to see how he fares elsewhere under a coach that is a little less structured. I wonder also whether we will see Adam Blair return to form at the Tigers for that reason? I found the games exciting when CB seemed to let them go and have a bit of fun in that wretched year of playing for no points. We saw a few great moments in those games that showed some of the players had a fair bit of magic.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Chip wrote:Agree with all the statements but re the ones in bold...the thing is CB creates or molds players to fit the team and game plan (and it works) but maybe thats why his kicking game has become so predictable? Cronk didn't remain a fringe player because CB & co. saw something in him & its been proven more often than not...could another coach have done that? Probably not, but maybe if he had got a break somewhere else that natural talent (or whatever it was CB saw in him in the first place) might have developed into something more, less predictable, etc, who knows because thats not what happened. I would say Cronk is very grateful to CB & Storm for the chances he has got & he may well have not got anywhere else. I'm sure he would be grateful to have learnt his craft at NRL level under a coach that knows how to bring the best out of players like few others can. Good luck to him - who knows whats still in store for him?
it would be really interesting to see how he fares elsewhere under a coach that is a little less structured. I wonder also whether we will see Adam Blair return to form at the Tigers for that reason? I found the games exciting when CB seemed to let them go and have a bit of fun in that wretched year of playing for no points. We saw a few great moments in those games that showed some of the players had a fair bit of magic.
this, i think everyone can agree on! that's why we were so hard to beat before origin, because they played with some freedom in attack.