Bulldogs and Souths 2012 - almost a team of former stormers

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Has anyone else noticed how many former Storm players are at the Dogs and the Bunnies next year?

Dogs:

Tolman
Kite
Turner
Luke MacDougall

Bunnies:
King
Inglis
Crocker

- Feel like I'm missing someone too
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

there are storm players in nearly every team

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

also how sad is it that steven kearney (i loved him when he was at the storm) is stealing craig bellamys techniques and making his team WORK in the preseason....jarryd hayne Horo hinmarsh matuia all working on consruction sites digging holes ect...bellamy has made our players do that for the last 6 yrs since he started at the storm

Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

* shrugs shoulders *

They can take players
They can take coaches & backroom staff
They can even take,(copy), attack & defence styles

But the culture is - NOT TRANSFERABLE :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:also how sad is it that steven kearney (i loved him when he was at the storm) is stealing craig bellamys techniques and making his team WORK in the preseason....jarryd hayne Horo hinmarsh matuia all working on consruction sites digging holes ect...bellamy has made our players do that for the last 6 yrs since he started at the storm

I hope they dig very deep holes for themselves...just showing my pet hate for that club!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

don`t forget the christmas elves have Madge as their coach.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

sallymay wrote:also how sad is it that steven kearney (i loved him when he was at the storm) is stealing craig bellamys techniques and making his team WORK in the preseason....jarryd hayne Horo hinmarsh matuia all working on consruction sites digging holes ect...bellamy has made our players do that for the last 6 yrs since he started at the storm

I don't really see it as stealing ideas. I think he's been taught by a fine coach & I reckon even Bellamy would get satisfaction from seeing Steve Kearney pass on his teachings (even if it is for the Eels). Kearney is plying his trade now & I hope he has success (even if it is the Eels!!) because if he is successful it will be because he has earnt/deserves it - any success will depend on how well he's learnt, his own ability to lead & garner loyalty from those around him. So its all on him to get whatever success he can & if it doesn't happen over time then he obviously isn't the same calibre as Craig Bellamy. I'm excited for him & hope he does do well & one day comes back to the Storm after proving himself.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Merritt: ‘Storm’ brewing at Souths
Co-leading NRL tryscorer in 2011 Nathan Merritt is convinced South Sydney’s Melbourne connection will place the Rabbitohs in good stead to launch a serious premiership campaign in 2012.

Merritt believes the arrival of former Storm assistant mentor Michael Maguire as head coach at Redfern, along with a playing roster that boasts key former Melbourne stars including Greg Inglis and Michael Crocker, has the potential to have Bunnies’ fans hopping for joy.

“Yeah Greg is fitting in pretty well with the team… it is going to be better for him this year, he has got a coach now [Maguire] that coached him down in Melbourne – we have a few ex-Melbourne boys now in the team,” Merritt enthused.

“So as soon as he gets back from the (Four) Nations I think he is going to fit in pretty well. You know, we’re looking for a big season with Greggie.”

First on the agenda for Merritt though is the likelihood of a third consecutive cap for the Indigenous All Stars, an occasion the Redfern local rates the equal of anything he’s achieved in the game.

“It is probably up there with the highlight of my career, getting in the game with the Indigenous team,” he told NRL.com. “The boys are all great… we all enjoy each other’s company and you want to get out there and play against the NRL All Stars.”

Merritt says the build-up to the annual clash is hugely rewarding for the players.

“Just going out and seeing the young kids and seeing the smiles on their faces and getting up there and getting the opportunity to give back to the community…” Merritt continued.

“It’s always great for us to go back to schools and do work and interact with the kids… it’s always fun to see the smiles on their faces.”

Merritt, who grew up idolising fellow Aboriginal rugby league stars Steve Renouf and Anthony Mundine, says he is driven by the opportunity to give back to his community.

“I grew up around this area so I am a local junior with ties in the local community,” he said. “I am a local boy… I always give back to the community boys out there helping out the kids.

“I did a Teacher's Aide course back at the school where I grew up, so it’s always great to go back to the old school and help out with the young kids and give back.”

Merritt said he doesn’t feel any pressure to repeat his try-scoring heroics of 2011 and is confident that with the right preparation, results will flow again.

“We have a good side here [at Souths], we are training pretty hard and if you get all the training done and get ourselves fit, we’ve got no pressure whatsoever,” he said.

“The opportunity to play fullback gave me the chance to roam around on the field, pop up wherever I wanted to and attack on either side of the field,” he said of his flurry of four-pointers over the closing rounds of 2011.

“We have got a lot of players that can offload the ball and make half-breaks so it is just a matter of being instinctive and looking to where the gaps are going to appear.”

Merritt described playing for the Indigenous All Stars as a “massive honour”.

“You are playing with all the best Indigenous players in the NRL and you are playing for your people all across Australia so it’s a great privilege to be out there,” he said.

“The first year… the highlight was just getting it together and getting the game on, being a part of it and actually coming away with a win.

“It’s a great concept… hopefully the fans vote me in! It would be great to see us all running around. It will be a special occasion and we’ll enjoy going out there and doing battle.”

------------------------------------------------
god this makes me angry
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yeah and it cheeses me off as well, Cooper would really top it off

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

they all want to be us, but they never will be! they dont have the discipline on and off the field to get to the top and stay there
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Funny how other clubs such as Souths think that the former Storm players they recruit are going to perform as well as they did when they were at the Storm. The only players that come to mind that did any good at another club after leaving Melbourne was:

Matt Orford (Manly)
Brett Kimmorley (Cronulla)
Paul Whatuira (Penrith, Wests Tigers)
Nathan Friend (Gold Coast Titans)
James Maloney (Warriors)

Inglis was a passenger for Souths in 2011 when he wasn't injured and only gained form at the back end of the season when it was too late and they missed the finals. Crocker has only started to come good after missing most of 2009-10 with injury and I highly doubt Matt King is going to turn back the clock to his 2007 form after spending four years in England.

If Souths are going to be successful next year :lol: , attempting to buy a premiership with former Storm players isn't going to get them far.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

What South Sydney need more than anything is for Russell Crowe to shut the F*&k up and leave the coaching and team selections to the coach,I think all the coaches that have been there since that knob head took over have suffered the same fate , obviously Mr Crowe thinks he knows best , and as long as he is making payments to the players ( under the table ) then he is calling the shots.