Storm vindicates NRL, says Gallop

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm vindicates NRL, says Gallop Stathi Paxinos

NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday said it would not be a bad look for the competition if Melbourne Storm won this year's premiership and declared that the rebuilt team's position vindicated the governing body's stance after Storm was busted for salary cap cheating.

With its actions to punish Melbourne, the NRL was keen to avoid a repeat of what happened with Canterbury, which rebounded from its salary cap scandal of 2002 to win the premiership in 2004 with a largely intact roster after the players took salary cuts.

Storm was forced to shed 12 players, including superstar Greg Inglis, but the table-topper is now on the verge of winning the minor premiership, has notched a club record-equalling 11 consecutive wins and is favourite for the premiership.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... z1VAqpdg71
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Oh will you shut up Gallop! :violent1:
Gallop would have said, 'we were vindicated' if we were on the bottom of the table also.
I can't wait for David to disappear from the NRL altogether
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

"Gallop's a wanker!!"

Clap, clap..clap, clap, clap

"gallop's a wanker!!"

just practicing for when (or if) he ever does come slinking down to Melbourne. lima lima lima duck worm!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Run Sika Run
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

This season has just got better and better for everyone who love`s the storm. :lol: I can`t wait to see the look on Gallop`s face as he hands over another peace of silver ware to Cam. :-[

(Let`s purple up our stadium)
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

What else is he going to say. I was wrong last year. I do not think so.

Gallop is more likely to say what we did last year was not enough lets strip them of all this years points as well.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Go Storm wrote:"Gallop's a wanker!!"

Clap, clap..clap, clap, clap

"gallop's a wanker!!"

just practicing for when (or if) he ever does come slinking down to Melbourne. *lima lima lima duck* worm!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
30k people singing this at the crowd and another million other fans around the country will join in!
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I understand the not playing for points thing.

What I cant forgive is that they stripped away the premierships from the record books and the players - and not a single action has been taken against Waldron, Hanson, O'Sullivan or any player agents.

I believe O'Sullivan continues to be employed by the Roosters, and nearly all the player agents (most of whom were clearly involved in the rorting according to the NRL's own report) continue to be employed and negotiate player contracts to this very day.

This situation is incredulous and an absolute joke on the limp-wristed administration of the NRL.

They are powerless to do anything, other than the strip everything away from the fans, players and coaches to the point were the team was an inch away from non-existence.

The NRL and Gallop only handed out these overkill penalties to save any embarrassment or accusations of conflicted interest due to the fact the employees involved with News Limited employees.

On the verge of the ultimate redemption in claiming back a minor premiership, and hopefully a Grand Final trophy - I dont expect Gallop to say anything less than 'this proved the penalties were just'. He has no other stance to make. Now to see him sucking up Bellamy ass and recognising their accomplishments is now just shameful.

I personally will be giving him every ounce of my fury when he comes to AAMI Park. Not because I dont accept the Storm cheated - but I cant ever accept the manner in which this joke of an organisation handled it, investigated it and continues to operate with its eyes shut, both hands tied behing their backs, and their head in the sand.

The independent commission may improve things - but I seriously doubt anything will really improve as long as Gallop continues.

Rant. Over.

PS - Just how poor an organisation the NRL is - is well known to Victorians in the way were treated with FTA coverage of the Storm and the NRL in general. However, its now becoming obvious to anyone who bothered to look at Greater Western Sydney and the struggles League is having (in its supposed heartland), and the GWS AFL team hasn't even kicked a ball for points yet. A serious competitive threat in its own backyard is starting to reveal the true state of inactivity, procrastination and lack of strategic direction that Gallop and the NRL will be best remembered for in years to come.
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

I totally agree Diehard. They only punished the fans, players, coaching staff, and let's not forget the independent directors. The sole purpose of which was to avoid the embarrassment of the Storm winning anything in the forseeable future, as happened with the Bulldogs. Player agents are allowed to continue operating in the NRL, O'Sullivan is still working for the Roosters, Waldron and Hanson are outside of the NRL and have no legal case to answer, and lo and behold, the News Ltd directors are blameless and are still around!!!!

As much as Gallop tries to soften this up by saying the NRL were vindicated in their punishment, absolutely everybody, even Gallop, knows that the Storm being successful this year is a major embarrassment to Gallop and the NRL. In my mind it actually vindicates the restoration of the trophies to the Storm, as it proves that money did not buy success.

Rant over!!!!
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

waveydavey wrote: In my mind it actually vindicates the restoration of the trophies to the Storm, as it proves that money did not buy success. Rant over!!!!
That's the completely ironic outcome. But you would never hear Gallop acknowledge this, but its what most people are thinking.
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

Gallop never acknowledges his mistakes, and he's made more than a few in his years as CEO, either through no action, completely over the top reaction or by different applications of the rules!!! Maybe we should start a thread, "Gallop's top ten LIMA LIMA DUCK UPS!!!?"
storm77
Squall
Squall

QUESTION:

CAN ANYONE NAME ONE GOOD OR PROGRESSIVE THING THAT ZOMBIE-BOY HAS DONE SINCE HE WAS PUT IN CHARGE?.

I can't.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

waveydavey wrote:Gallop never acknowledges his mistakes, and he's made more than a few in his years as CEO, either through no action, completely over the top reaction or by different applications of the rules!!! Maybe we should start a thread, "Gallop's top ten LIMA LIMA DUCK UPS!!!?"
I always laughs when he fails to acknowledge his weak as p_ss outcome in the last TV rights he negotiated.

He actually chooses not to acknowledge the poor result of the NRL deal, but instead to state the AFL 'got lucky' with Kerry Packer making a 'deathbed' offer for AFL that pushed Channel 7/10 to the max price.

I dont care what you like to call it David. Any TV rights deal that sees the code have ABSOLUTELY NO FUGGING CONTROL over when and to who, their games are broadcast to is poor.

He backed this up with a 'use it or lose it' threat that Channel 9 pretty much laughed at, and actually started showing their games later into Saturday and Monday mornings. Great stuff David.

The eyes of Australian sport will be on Gallop next year. If he doesn't deliver something equivalent to AFL (with NRLs larger viewing audience) he will be seen as the useless prick he really is.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I really hope the STORM supporters really give it to giddyup on Friday night.

"giddyup is a wanker" sounds like a really great chant.SING IT LOUD AND PROUD STORM SUPPORTERS
giddyup was hoping that Storm would struggle this season and that a mediocre sydney team would step up and win the premiership and he wouldn`t have to face the STORM faithful but he never considered the winning "culture of the Storm".
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Has it been confirmed he is going to be there Friday night? He said he would either come to last home game or the first final. It has now been agreed tha he will present the minor premiership, (if we win it) after the first final. I can not see this man coming to Melbourne twice in three weeks.

He has not been here all year and it took him ten months to bother to come and talk to the club last year. But remember how well Storm is going this year shows he was right last year!!!!!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There's been a speight of Gallop "on the record" quotes going around lately. A bit of fear from the bloke with his dick caught in his zipper obviously!