LOOK WHO IS COMING HOME----HOFFY

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6064419742

RYAN Hoffman is on the verge of returning to Melbourne next season as the Storm takes its first significant step towards replacing New Zealand international Adam Blair.
Melbourne football manager Frank Ponissi confirmed an approach had been made to the club on behalf of Hoffman, who left the Storm at the end of last season to play with Wigan.

"We have had an approach about him potentially coming home," Ponissi said. "That is a fact. I can guarantee no deal has been done but we have had a chat."

Hoffman was one of the most respected players at the Storm but became a victim of the salary cap scandal, which forced the club to shed players.

He has also attracted interest from the Rabbitohs - the club Wigan coach Michael Maguire will join next season - but it is understood he would prefer to re-join Melbourne, where he spent eight years and made 170 appearances before departing

Returning to the Storm would allow him to pass 10 years and 200 games for the Storm, something only one player has managed to do - former winger Matt Geyer.

Captain Cameron Smith will become the second player to enter the 200-game club tonight when he takes the field against Cronulla.

Hoffman's return would also help fill the void created by Blair's departure.

The Kiwi international is widely tipped to join the Tigers, whose salary cap position eased yesterday when it was announced fullback Wade McKinnon would head to England next year to play with Hull.

McKinnon had one year remaining on his deal but the Tigers will not stand in his way. His departure is likely to mean Tim Moltzen will stay at the Tigers after South Sydney dropped its interest in the utility.

However, forwards Bryce Gibbs and Liam Fulton have been given permission to negotiate with rivals and it is understood the pair met Penrith officials earlier this week to talk about next year.

At least one of the two is likely to leave. Meanwhile, Tigers chief executive Steve Humphreys has taken aim at those responsible for spreading rumours of an altercation between three of his players - Benji Marshall, Gibbs and Fulton.

The rumours began early this week but reached a crescendo on the internet yesterday, forcing Humphreys to speak out.

"It's just a sad indictment on the way people conduct themselves that they can spread such baseless rumours that are not only untrue, but very hurtful to the people involved," Humphreys said.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

cant say im ecstatic. So he will replace blair, back row should be sika and proctor

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bench
Monsoon
Monsoon

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/d ... 6064496426

THE next six weeks is crunch time for Melbourne Storm, with decisions looming on whether up to 10 players remain at the club next season. Storm officials have signed 19 of the 32 top-squad players for 2012, including all bar two of tomorrow's 17-man team - veteran prop Adam Woolnough and New Zealander Adam Blair.Centres Beau Champion and Chase Stanley will be leaving and forward Blair is expected to follow, leaving up to a dozen spots vacant.Melbourne football manager Frank Ponissi said players contracted for this season would be looked at first, then the club's under-20s would be examined for potential first-graders before Storm's recruiters looked elsewhere. Among those looking for another contract are giant young centre Elijah Niko who had been a try-scoring machine for Storm's Queensland Cup feeder team but was yet to crack the NRL. "We've spoken individually to all of them so they know where they are," Ponissi said. Ponissi said the club was in the market for an experienced centre from another NRL club, and possibly a forward.It is believed Storm has unofficially spoken to former star back-rower Ryan Hoffman, who has been playing with UK side Wigan under former Storm assistant coach Michael Maguire, who will coach South Sydney next year.There has been speculation Hoffman could join him at the Rabbitohs but a return to Melbourne hasn't been ruled out.STORM centre Dane Nielsen looks likely to hold on to his Queensland spot for State of Origin's second game on June 15 after Maroons centre Willie Tonga was ruled out for the rest of the series with a shoulder injury sustained in Wednesday night's win.

19 players signed?

Slater
Duffie
O'Neill
Neilsen
Widdop
M.Blair
Cronk
J.Bromwich
Smith
Norrie
Proctor
Hinchcliffe
Lowe
Kelly
Johnson

There's only 15 hahaha. He also states all bar A.Blair & Woolnough from tommorows 17 are signed?? Lowrie, Manu, Quinn... Try doing a little research next time Russell you goose lol.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can't say i'm too fussed either way to be honest. As we all know he wasn't much chop towards the end of his days with us but if Bellyache can reinvent his role within the team as opposed to the one he was playing then i think there's still he a chance he can bolster us. Whether that happens or not is another thing.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I said 3 years ago Hoff needs to change to a work-horse type 13 who makes at least 40 tackles a game.

That is the only way I want him anywhere near the top 17 as I guarentee you by RD1 2012 Tohu Harris will be the better option as an edge backrower.

But then again Kenny Bromwich is turning into a gun lock.

So, meh, go to Souffs Ryan.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We will welcome him back with open arms. It was a sad day when we had to say goodbye to the 2010 squad.

Come back Hoffy!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

We're about winning, not about sentiments. But if Craig wants him then I want him. For in Craig I trust

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Not excited, but he knows the plays and attitude of the club so that's a plus

CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Loved him and all that, but I think we should be looking to the future with players like Harris.

However, if he came dirt cheap, which I doubt, he'd be handy as a back up.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sika, proctor, vea, hinchcliffe and Lowrie are doing a great job in the back row/lock positions. Then there's the likes of Harris and Bromwich coming through the ranks. They certainly wouldn't want to be throwing too much money Ryan's way, he'll probably spend most of the year playing NSWCup with the talent, and enthusiasm, ahead of him.

simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yeah, im not sure if another backrower is what we need, i would have thought we'd need another prop or backline player.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wouldnt be surprised if we picked up a couple Knights discards. I heard a little rumor that we're looking at Wes Naiqama. Maurice Blair definately has some potential and could cement a spot in that right centre role.
Really wish Elijah could get a run soon.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Wes Naiqama would be an awesome pick up if Newcastle are silly enough to let him go. M. Blair should be dropped. He's not an NRL player, he's a passenger. He couldn't get a game with Penrith and I can see why.

storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

some of the better backs we have unveiled in the past have come in late in the season, tomane, nielson, maybe niko will do the same!

i think we are lacking punch up the middle and i dont think hoffy will increase too much for us, we need some good go forward up front! does lima want to come back? and get paea to go with norrie wool and thomo!