craig bellamy---his thoughts

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i personally like to read his articles from the australian so we should post them here for everyone to read

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6059951966

Two young men with passion, commitment

ONE thing about our game, and it's probably the same in other sports, is that there are a lot of kids who are good at rugby league from a young age. They might have made junior rep teams and even the Australian Schoolboys.
Everyone close to them expects rugby league will become their career. They are 15 or 16 and get signed by a club, they do their time in the lower grades, and finally make the NRL side.

A lot of players accept that, but without really knowing and understanding if it is their passion in life. So they go through the motions but it hasn't really grabbed their heart and soul.

That brings me to Dane Nielsen, or 'Danger' as he's known around Melbourne Storm, and Manly's Will Hopoate.

It was really nice to see Hopoate decide what he is passionate about at this point of his life and follow that road.

It took a fair bit of courage to make the decision to quit football and begin a two-year Mormon mission. He would have had a lot of pressure from all over the place: 95 per cent of people would have thought he was mad to pass up the sort of money being offered by several clubs.

He's obviously got a passion for his footy too, but his faith moved him more. It was something down deep inside him and he answered that call.

He can still come back to rugby league in two years. But for someone in their early 20s to take the step he's taken is a breath of fresh air.

Obviously, as a game, we're sorry to lose a really good player, and Manly more than anyone. But isn't it great to see a kid follow his passion ?

And that brings me to Nielsen. I know many Queensland fans, and probably a few from NSW as well, won't be too familiar with 'Danger'. He may be unknown at Origin level but he has deserved his opportunity.

Sure, Justin Hodges' boots are big ones to fill. But what you need to know about Dane is that his passion is footy. He embraces the full-time scenario of being part of a footy club; how much time it takes up in your life; how many hours a day you spend at the club around coaching staff and players.

For some players, that part of it is a bit daunting. But not for Danger. If he could live with the whole squad 24 hours a day, seven days a week, doing everything together, he'd thrive on that.

He loves being around the other players. He's got a good sense of humour and he loves training, loves all the gym and recovery work, and of course loves playing games every weekend. He can't get enough of the camaraderie.

But unlike Hopoate, Danger was not a star junior. He was always going to have to work hard to play NRL football.

He's originally from Mackay, Queensland, but Cronulla picked him up first and he spent three years there. He was in the full-time squad for two years at the Sharks but played only two NRL games in 2007.

Then we got hold of him after he'd sort of been pushed out of Cronulla. In his first year at the Storm, in 2008, he just breezed along and didn't really extend himself.

After the first year I had a chat with him and told him if he wanted to be an NRL player he'd have to work a lot harder. Some players respond to that type of conversation and some don't.

Dane did and he worked really hard in the 2009 pre-season to get himself much fitter. He didn't get a chance in first grade until a third of the way through the season, but he kept training hard, showed patience and didn't let his standards slip.

He played really well with our Central Coast feeder team at the time, which meant a lot of travelling from Melbourne. But he kept his chin up, worked hard and played well, even when he was in and out of our NRL side.

About two games before the semi-finals were due to start, we had a player with some personal issues who missed a few training sessions. I had to put Danger on the left wing and he played so well for those two weeks he stayed there for all the semi-finals. He was rewarded by playing in a winning grand-final side. That gave him a lot of confidence and further bolstered his passion.

I see him as a future leader at the Storm because he's one of our best talkers on the field and the guys appreciate that. I don't think Dane sees himself as a leader yet because of the presence of people like Cam Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk, but I think he has the right attributes to be one.

After that 2009 grand final I had another talk with Danger in the pre-season, because I didn't want him to get comfortable given he had had some success. I told him that with the grand final under his belt, he had to keep improving and look at playing Origin.

I didn't want him to hope he was good enough, I wanted him to get out there and work for it. I saw him as an Origin-type player in that he's very reliable and a very good defensive player.

The difference between Danger's best game and his worst is very little. Coaches like that in players because you know what you're going to get every week.

I knew he could be an Origin player after watching him two years ago through that 2009 semi-final series. It's a credit to Dane that he believed in that too and he made it his passion.

He will most likely play outside Darren Lockyer and Sam Thaiday on Queensland's right-hand side, when he plays mainly left centre for us. Unfortunately there's not enough players like him in our game. He can play left or right - it doesn't worry him.

What I like about Nielsen and Hopoate is they have identified what they are passionate about and are committed to making it happen.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

im guessing the player with personal issues was joe tomane

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

ahhhh thank u i was trying to work that one out

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Thanx for posting great article

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

Tomane was injured when Danger came into the side. I'm taking a guess the player Craig is talking about is Chris Walker - I think he was still at the Storm then, and certainly had personal issues, not least of which was missing training!!!
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Was Joe.

He missed training a few times.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Whatever happened to him anyway?

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote:Whatever happened to him anyway?

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
John Cartwright happened.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chris Walker was 3 years gone - was Tomane
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i think it was when he became a father

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

I stand corrected :-D
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Rejig schedule leading into Monday night Origin

I WANT to add my support for changing Origin from Wednesday nights. Monday is the go in my opinion.
But my idea is to experiment a little the weekend they name the Origin teams.

For those three Origins alone, let's introduce a Thursday night game, then play a double-header Friday night and on Saturday play the rest of the club games.

I'd even like to see a Saturday afternoon game. Bring back day-time rugby league on a Saturday like we used to, because it's one of the real sellers for the AFL.

So everyone would be done playing by Saturday night. There is no Sunday or Monday games.

Sunday is free for both Queensland and NSW to name their teams and begin Origin camps.

That gives them eight days to get ready for the game, which is the amount of time Mal Meninga currently has as he doesn't name his team until Tuesday.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Ricky Stuart is naming the NSW team on Sundays this year so they can start camp on Monday. But the Blues have the Saturday off anyway, so they get the eight days preparation too.

I know introducing a Thursday night game is new, so the week before you would have to make sure those teams didn't play on the Monday or Sunday.

But the AFL has introduced a Thursday night game at stages throughout the season.

So if the NRL is going to be fair dinkum about having a stand-alone Origin, we can tinker with the schedule and have all the club games wrapped up between Thursday night to Saturday night, with a brand new Saturday afternoon time slot.

Origin has continued to be so strong, I believe we can play it any day of the week, because it is such a big event. We all understand the need to consider the commercial requirements, sponsors, TV rights etc. However, I believe it is equally important, if not more important, to factor in the welfare of our players, because without them, there is no Origin.

So that's my Origin solution. But it got me thinking about the television scheduling to be discussed by the new independent commission and the broadcasters for 2013.

The recently struck $1.2 billion AFL broadcast deal for 2012 onwards has the eight "outpost" clubs - two in WA, two in SA, two in Queensland and two in NSW (including GWS) - enjoying their home and away games "live" or close to "live" on free-to-air.

So we should look at giving my club Melbourne that kind of help. And if Perth comes into the competition in 2013 it would help them too because these teams won't be in a rugby league heartland.

The more NRL matches that are televised on free-to-air means the more eyes that come across our game, so the more advertisers and sponsors we can interest.

In my visit last month to the Brisbane Lions up at the Gabba when Storm played the Broncos, they were telling me what a great boon for business that free-to-air "live" game coverage will be for the club.

This is the sort of thing the NRL needs to look at because we've all seen the comparisons with some of our regular club games compared to the AFL and our ratings are sky-high.

So we should have a pretty good bargaining chip, as opposed to the TV networks having all the say.

That brings me to the draw. The AFL has a fixed draw so for 24 rounds you know in January where, what date and what time your team will be playing from March through to September.

We should have enough power for our next television rights deal to demand that rugby league followers can also have that certainty about when their team is playing. We celebrate so many great rivalries and historic clashes between clubs these days and people need adequate time to plan.

If you only know four to five weeks in advance, it's hard to do.

All the clubs should then have an equal amount of Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday games because the full season is laid out. Right now some clubs get a lot more Friday and Monday nights than others.

Finally, tomorrow the Storm plays Souths which means all my guys play one of their best mates and one of Melbourne Storm's best products in Greg Inglis.

Everyone knows how we all feel about Greg. It's hard for me to accept even now that he's playing for another team.

But having said that, Greg knows he's got a job to do for Souths and we've got a job to do for Melbourne.

We wish him all the best and hope he comes through this game so he can get back to Origin. But we'll be looking to keep him as quiet as we can.

HE ALWAYS MAKE SO MUCH SENSE
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Much to admire in GI and Mini's returns

GREG Inglis's return to the Origin arena brings a wry smile to my face. I don't want to open old wounds but the treatment he received late last year from a fair few Queensland fans was really unfair.
There was the lengthy dispute between Melbourne and Brisbane over Greg's release after the Broncos had offered him a contract. It dragged on for more than 10 weeks and then Greg decided to go to Souths.

For that he copped a whole heap of criticism. Exactly how quickly does a player have to make a decision on his future? The Storm and the Broncos did not seem to be able to reach agreement and it was getting late in the year - almost too late for players to find a new club as the pre-season had already started for most. Russell Crowe is a strong personality with loads of charisma and significant clout, combined with a great passion for his club, South Sydney. If Crowe is ringing your phone to strike a deal that secures your future, most people stop and listen.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
I know some of the abuse directed at Greg on websites and blogs came from Broncos supporters calling him a traitor. But it seems to me a lot of those people would have done the same thing if they were put in Greg's shoes. I think it is really harsh for anyone to come down on him.

I find it amazing that after missing the first Origin game through injury, Greg is now back and all those Queenslanders who criticised him will be among the many cheering for him on Wednesday night.

It reminds me of the time back in 2007 when I played him at five-eighth for the Storm. I still think fullback is probably his best position. We had Billy Slater there and we were strong in the centres with Matt King and Israel Folau but we needed a five-eighth.

I honestly think now, as I did back then, that he can play five-eighth. But again he copped a lot of criticism for something his club asked him to do. He was only 20 years old but that criticism was relentless that year. It does affect you but Greg kept it inside of him and then went on to win the Clive Churchill Medal as the best player in the grand final that year as a five-eighth. So when people want to know why he's able to play so well in the big games, all I can say is that he has this ability to put all that stuff to one side and funnel his great amount of natural athletic ability into his football.

Remember, Greg had to give up playing for Australia at the end of last year to undergo shoulder and then hip surgery. He certainly doesn't take playing representative football lightly.

After the year he had last year with Melbourne being stripped of competition points and then the caning he was subjected to in the media and from the public over his Souths contract, he would have been looking forward to playing for his country.

Then the hip flared again during the Anzac Test last month. I'm sure many people who saw him icing his hip on the sidelines thought he wouldn't be playing Origin at all this year. He hasn't played a lot of footy so far and had a compromised pre-season.

But the one guy you can really depend on is Greg Inglis. I've never seen him play poorly in a big game. I can tell you from personal experience, I would much rather have him in my team than against me, he has won games almost single-handedly. Greg was born to play Origin, it's just a shame he has the wrong state's jersey on his back.

I don't know Anthony Minichiello as well as I know Greg, but his resilience through a terrible injury period shows his tenacity and strong self-belief.

Mini was in outstanding form for years and won the Golden Boot award in 2005 as the world's best player. He won the Wally Lewis Medal that year as well as the best player in Origin. He was the most brilliant fullback in the game at the time and then he got cut down with two serious back injuries. The injuries hung around him for a long time and made him miss most of the 2006 and 2007 seasons - and restricted him in 2008 and 2009 when his ankle and neck flared up. If someone had said 18 months ago that Minichiello would be back playing Origin, I don't think many would have thought that possible. He's come back and he's basically done it through sheer determination and hard work. And now he's forced his way back into the NSW side after four years.

It's an amazing story; it's inspiring. It shows what a confident and positive person Mini is because he never gave up, even though he must have been tested during his rehabilitation. He must have questioned whether he'd make it back to the NRL, let alone to State of Origin.

We often see our players and think what a great lifestyle they must have. They have the opportunity to earn a good living doing something they absolutely love. But Mini is an example of the downside of being a footballer. He's been dubbed the best player in the world and suddenly it falls in a heap and it looks like he might never play again.

He overcame that adversity. There must be a real strength of character to the man because it would have been so easy for him to give up. Good luck to GI and Mini on Wednesday night