Storm v Warriors Anzac Clash game thread *spoilers*

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
heraldsun1
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

tugga wrote: A lot of first-game n00bs there last night, which is good. Hopefully they come back. Felt like an away game at stages.
Unfortunately Tugga it wasn't a great game so I'd be surprised if many of those first gamers ever come back
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

heraldsun1 wrote:
tugga wrote: A lot of first-game n00bs there last night, which is good. Hopefully they come back. Felt like an away game at stages.
Unfortunately Tugga it wasn't a great game so I'd be surprised if many of those first gamers ever come back
It was a poor standard, but n00bs might not have realised that. Most n00bs feed off the energy of the crowd and that could not be doubted last night.
It was a horrible to sit through though. Just never reached any great proportions.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Go Storm wrote:That was the warriors GF! For some reason they play their best game against us, probably won't win another all year.
I reckon our forwards did ok against those monsters. Remembering also that Woolly, Norrie and Vea were under injury clouds and hadn't trained.
Far too much dropped ball killed us tonight. Duffie, slater, Quinn and neilson all need super glue on hands.
Coops kicking game was woeful! He never went wide to open wingers on the last, and when've kicked out of our half it found their players every time.
Refereeing was definately the WORST I have seen for a long time.
Champion bombed two tries. First time he drew defenders but passed too late. Duffie then had about 1m to work with and got crunched. Next one was just greedy. I don't like to berate individuals when team plays shit but that effort was crap. He tried to slip through 3 defenders instead of passing to an open Duffie with 6m of free real estate between them= certain try.
Widdop's kick on the first was a good attempt at something different when everything else wasn't working. Slater was taken out but the shithouse refs missed it. All 4 of them ! I wonder if the replay shows this and if the co
Mentators picked it up??
Proctor played really well I thought. When on field he was into everything and almost made a couple of busts. Same great try saving tackles too. I can't believe some ppl on here have bagged him when I've picked him as my man of the match.
We need Sika and Thommo back

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
The commentators did notice that Billy was taken out. The only people who missed it were the blind refs.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

The commantators said the Storm players asked the question of the refs as to whether Billy was taken out and they replied that Billy ran into the back of the Warriors players.

Foxtel then replayed it and both commantators said that Brett Seymour changed his line and moved inot Billy's path and it should have been a plenty.

One Commantator, Mark Braybrook is an ex ref. He should know. But players taking Billy out happens a lot, but I have never seen him get a plenty for it. But I have seen lots of other fullbacks get a plenty for it. Namely Bowen!!!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Regardless if Billy was taken out or not, I think the play was wrong.
I couldn't believe how worried I got every time a bomb went up. I was screaming for pressure but I guess Maloney could have kicked which ever way he wants and our boys would drop it.
I know Duff is very reliable usually, but this is such a big weakness in Quinn's game, I thought he was much better around the middle.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Quinney may be better utilized as a 2nd rower, centre, or utility player. This could give O'Neil his wing position back and show both and Champion that their positions need to be earnt to be retained.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

billy didnt get hit...billy saved a try by using his body to stop the try
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:billy didnt get hit...billy saved a try by using his body to stop the try
??

The discussion is actually about Widdop's decision to kick on the first tackle from a scrum win in our red zone. Slater was running onto the ball as it was a set play rehearsed during the week at training. He was clearly impeded and yet no penalty was awarded.
I think you may be thinking of an incident in the first half when Billy was the 13th man in the tackle needed to stop a Mack truck from running across the try line.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

tugga wrote:Great crowd though. Was surprised to see there was 'only' 23,600. Seemed to be 26k easily.
A lot of first-game n00bs there last night, which is good. Hopefully they come back. Felt like an away game at stages.
At half-time I went outside to have a ciggie and I saw stacks of people from Swan St. who snuck into the ground, its easy to do if you pick the right entry/exit. Very close to 26,000 after half-time and I hope some of them come back and pay next time around :-D
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

CooperCronk wrote:
tugga wrote:Great crowd though. Was surprised to see there was 'only' 23,600. Seemed to be 26k easily.
A lot of first-game n00bs there last night, which is good. Hopefully they come back. Felt like an away game at stages.
At half-time I went outside to have a ciggie and I saw stacks of people from Swan St. who snuck into the ground, its easy to do if you pick the right entry/exit. Very close to 26,000 after half-time and I hope some of them come back and pay next time around :-D
The ground staff have no idea how to organise large crowds. My daughter and i were running a little late and ended up in our seats right on kickoff, i'm dissapointed to have missed the last post and anthem, etc.

Anyway, when we got there we bolted up the stairs only to be told huge delays experienced and that gate 7 was no ques. So i ran like a madman with my 4yo on my shoulders through swarms of people waiting to purchase memberships and entry tickets.
Now why weren't they directing people towards gate 7 from ground level instead of waiting for them to climb the stairs and then be turned back? There was heaps still coming up as we were going down.

I'm glad i'm a member otherwise it would've been impossible to get in.

22200 they announced at the game. I looked around wondering where you'd fit the other 8000 people.

One thing to their credit is that at halftime it was still very quick and easy to use toilet and get some food. AAMI Park has always been exceptional in this department. The graveyard was very slow, and AFL games are a nightmare. I wasn't drinking so can't comment on bars.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

CooperCronk wrote:
Gates are open for everyone at half time anyway, just like they're open from three quarter time at the AFL.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tigger wrote:
CooperCronk wrote:
Gates are open for everyone at half time anyway, just like they're open from three quarter time at the AFL.
Unfortunately not anymore Tigger.

I tried to get into an AFL game at 3/4 time last year after attending Storm game and the attendants said that the open door policy at 3/4 had been scrappred some time ago.

Hopefully Storm have a more liberal policy as it may encourage someone to come in and have a look and then come back for more !!
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm Spirit wrote:
Hopefully Storm have a more liberal policy as it may encourage someone to come in and have a look and then come back for more !!
kind of makes sense when you look at it like that ;)
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

Go Storm wrote:
CooperCronk wrote:
tugga wrote:
One thing to their credit is that at halftime it was still very quick and easy to use toilet and get some food. AAMI Park has always been exceptional in this department. The graveyard was very slow, and AFL games are a nightmare. I wasn't drinking so can't comment on bars.

The corporate seats were almost empty.

Something that seems doesn't happen to the Union games.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

We arrived after half time for the Gold Coast game after being at a wedding. The gates were not open, we still had to produce a ticket.

I agree with the corporate seats being almost empty. I think there was a couple of reasons for not selling as many this year. What happened last year did not help, the Rebels coming into super rugby and the fact the corporate packages were not released until three weeks before the season started.

They need to do better next year as the corporate dollar is where the money is.