Storm/Warriors moved to Sunday

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
onlooker
Squall
Squall

The Storm/Warriors clash for round 7 (ANZAC and Easter weekend) has been moved to 2pm Sunday.

The Monday games are 4pm Roosters vs Dragons and 7pm Raiders vs Knights.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Disappointing that the game isn't on ANZAC Day.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Disappointing - but I'll take it, I guess. I like Sunday afternoon matches. Hopefully the club promotes it like crazy.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It was moved because the Roosters/Dragons match is the "traditional" Anzac Day game, I do believe the tradition has not been around long, the NRL wanted to be like the AFL with Essendon/Collingwood game. Foxtel wanted the Raiders/Knights game to be the Monday night game.

The Storm/Penrith game is the channel nine game. I wonder if we will see it on Sunday afternoon in Melbounre?
onlooker
Squall
Squall

most likely not.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think the NRL should make the STORM vs warriors game a traditional game for ANZAC Day.The NRL could do alot to promote this game on such a special day for Australian and NZ. I felt so proud to go to the game and sing the National Anthem,have the minute silence and the Last Post. :swav: . :fla_australia:
What is so special about a chooks vs draqueens game on ANZAC Day?
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

stormy wrote:I think the NRL should make the STORM vs warriors game a traditional game for ANZAC Day.The NRL could do alot to promote this game on such a special day for Australian and NZ. I felt so proud to go to the game and sing the National Anthem,have the minute silence and the Last Post. :swav: . :fla_australia:
What is so special about a chooks vs draqueens game on ANZAC Day?
You mean apart from the roosters/dragons game being a traditional game that stretches back over 10 years, not sure exactly how long.

Upsetting our game is not on ANZAC day but Sunday afternoon should be alright fora crowd of an sizable number to attend.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep... good fixturing by the NRL ::)
the only game featuring a side from both parts of ANZAC - 26k there last year...
We don't want crowd maximisation - lets go with an Easter Sunday arvo game where there will be 10-12 instead of 20+ ::)
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Big Ron aint happy and rightly so from a marketing perspective. It was a great opportunity to try take advantage of the AFL ANZAC match in getting some of them to come across the road, that said i still think we'll get a pretty good crowd against the Kiwi's. If i'm totally honest, while i'd have been more than happy to have it on Monday night having it on the Sunday would suit me better especially with the day off on Monday.
KingFD
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

If the game is on Sunday we will be attending for sure. We had plans which meant we were out of the country on Saturday, but we will change flights and head back earlier. Looks like we will be bringing friends back with us for the game as well, unfortunately they are Warriors supporters. I'll have to balance that out with inviting more local storm supporters.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Ice wrote:Big Ron aint happy and rightly so from a marketing perspective. It was a great opportunity to try take advantage of the AFL ANZAC match in getting some of them to come across the road, that said i still think we'll get a pretty good crowd against the Kiwi's. If i'm totally honest, while i'd have been more than happy to have it on Monday night having it on the Sunday would suit me better especially with the day off on Monday.
A Monday night game would also have been fine as we get the Tuesday off for the ANZAC holiday since it's both Easter Monday & ANZAC Day on the 25th.
Sux that the NRL won't acknowledge the significance of a game between anyone & the Warriors!
onlooker
Squall
Squall

KingFD wrote:If the game is on Sunday we will be attending for sure. We had plans which meant we were out of the country on Saturday, but we will change flights and head back earlier. Looks like we will be bringing friends back with us for the game as well, unfortunately they are Warriors supporters. I'll have to balance that out with inviting more local storm supporters.
The more the better!!!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

This is extremely dissapointing. The NRL had an opportunity here they are just too stupid to see. I'm not talking as a Storm supporter or as a ticket collector's perspective either.
Two games are being played on Anzac Day. One's the traditional Sydney derby, you can't mess with that. The other should be a true trans-Tasman battle that is Storm V Warriors. This was already becomming a tradition, 2011 would've been it's 3rd successive year.
WTF has Canberra V Knights got that's remotely traditional or Anzac?

Next year the AFL will probably fill the SCG with a Sydney V GWS Anzac clash, whilst they fill the MCG on the same day, and maybe even play a Suns V Lions game in Brisbane on Anzac Day too.

Gallop's dropped the ball again! Another knock-on!

------------------------------

We'll still have a great game on Sunday afternoon, but what a wasted opportunity. What a shame
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think having the game on Anzac Day would have attracted a very healthy crowd - at least 20,000. It's hard to compare with the last two years - one at Olympic Park and one a few days after that day - but I think 20,000 would be realistic. Having it on Easter Sunday might make things a little harder to draw a crowd like that but I think if they start building it now as the way to spend the afternoon I think it'll do just fine. There's no reason they can't still promote it as an Anzac game, anyway.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As much as it's the NRL's fault by being spineless turds and letting them do it in the first place when negotiating the rights, it's the tv networks (Foxtel in this case) that has scheduled the game on the Sunday and not the NRL. Why i'll never know given they could quite have easily put the Raiders v Knights on the Sunday and us on the Monday night instead.