Game Day support for Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Watching the Liverpool v Man U game the other day on TV...I was in awe of the chanting and singing that the crowd was producing. This is a real trade mark of the EPL.

It got me thinking that sporting crowds in Australia, both NRL and AFL are fairly vocal with support (when things are going well on the field) but light on in terms of atmosphere.

I know last year it was deathly silent when the boys went behind or were down for long periods in a game (eg Broncos game).

In my opinion, there is a real need for some orchestrated and integrated crowd support with chanting and songs of support for the team and club. I could imagine as a Storm player...being absoluetely humbled and moved by the crowed being in unison in chant or song.

It COULD be a really imposing trade mark of Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park if it was done well.

Or maybe it could just be a load of romantic shite to think that we could reproduce such atmosphere at an NRL game?

I noticed on the TV that the Rebel's crowd was getting into the chanting and singing to create some atmosphere.

Any thoughts ?
Last edited by Storm Spirit on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

:o Thats what the Thunder Squad is for

except the few ppl who wanted to create the thunder squad didnt want to join with others so now it just another membership package
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

SuperLeague is awesome for that stuff. It sounds like an entire orchestra has rocked up to the game. To create an atmosphere like that at Storm games would be so cool.
The cow bell has been a great tradition for many years, and it revs the crowd up really well. It's starting to lose it's mojo when you have multiple bells that are out of sync with one another, and sirens, horns, etc.
The Warriors game last year at Etihad on Anzac Day was pretty cool. It was the first game after the salary cap debacle and the crowd was going nuts. Mexican waves about 300deg around Etihad was something to behold.

I suppose if all else fails we could just howl like dogs when we play Canberra :P
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote::o Thats what the Thunder Squad is for

except the few ppl who wanted to create the thunder squad didnt want to join with others so now it just another membership package

Isn't the Thunder Squad just confined to a small area at the front of the north stand though ?

I am talking about the WHOLE of the eastern stand crowd and the WHOLE of the northern and southern stand crowds being involved.

Maybe it's just un-Australian to chant and sing songs enouraging the Storm.
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

LOL good luck, we need to take it one step at a time. For example, people in the thundersquad need to stop complaining about loud noises!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

A number of years ago i got some seats under the coaches boxes on the Western Stand at Olympic Park. I was quite vocal and got some very stern looks from a rather sedate crowd.
The Eastern stand, and outers, was always more of a boisterous crowd, with some chants thrown in too.
At AAMI we've all been spread all over the place. Maybe this year, being our 2nd season, we'll have formed some tribes who may be able to get some carnival action happening.
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

It's really hard to get all the "vocal" group in the one area. I am behind the goals in the thundersqaud with about 10 people, cow-bells etc but no-one around us joins in. lima lima lima duck annoying to be honest.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I realise that everyone is different and people express themselves differently BUT...

If I see one more Storm member/supporter/person this year decked out fully in all their Storm gear just watching the game passively with a blank glazed eye look on their faces, without any emotion or offering any sort of vocal support...then I think that I'll just *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK*ing throw up. :puke:
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

We need all four sections of the crowd challenging each other. That will get noise going in the crowd.I think the club song should be played more, I think they should play it before the team run out and also at the end of the game,no matter if we win or lose.
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

I'm always vocal at the Sydney games, and Newcastle and Canberra games if they are played and if it's possible to be there.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It pains me to say this,but watch a super league game when Leeds are playing and listen to the supporters,they are chanting the whole way through the game win or lose,and it is not just one section it is all around the ground..That is what we need happening at AAMI Park,Constantly through the whole game.And I know it pisses other teams supporters off..but thats what we wanna do isn't it,as well as letting the boys know we are there :-D .
I know this has been tried before,but we should try and get a type of song sheet printed out to give to people as they come in,with specific songs to sing at specific times..when we are attacking..when we are defending..when we score..when they score ect ect,and you never know it just may catch on.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Rose Madder wrote:It pains me to say this,but watch a super league game when Leeds are playing and listen to the supporters,they are chanting the whole way through the game win or lose,and it is not just one section it is all around the ground..That is what we need happening at AAMI Park,Constantly through the whole game.And I know it pisses other teams supporters off..but thats what we wanna do isn't it,as well as letting the boys know we are there :-D .
I know this has been tried before,but we should try and get a type of song sheet printed out to give to people as they come in,with specific songs to sing at specific times..when we are attacking..when we are defending..when we score..when they score ect ect,and you never know it just may catch on.
It will catch on
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

everyone seems to agree, so what chants can we come up with? small and simple to start off with i think
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I disagree.
Our game doesn't need chanting.
The whole chanting and singing thing comes from football (soccer) crowds who need to entertain themselves during long periods of inactivity in the game (and I am a huge world football fan). The game is very low scoring and often there are sustained periods where one side will defend and be intent on coming away with a nil-all draw.
Rugby league (and the two other major Australian football codes other than soccer) doesn't have prelonged periods of inactivity. The game is moving at a fast pace for the whole 80 minutes.
Frankly, I am too busy watching the game and keeping up to date on what's going on to have any time to sing and chant.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Likewise - Plus I'm wearing the sports ears,(and occasionally questioning decisions made by officials - LOUDLY :lol: ) And yelling support for the lads - heckling the opposition. Never went in for 'organised chanting',which is hard to get going on a large scale.The small groups that do chant / sing do it quite well & usually get a good response from the crowd in their areas.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields