New Jersey

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote:
onlooker wrote:
Bourbon Rat wrote:
:?
Maybe they're still trying to offload old stock first.

A quick check of the 'sponsors' section of the official website doesn't show anything new either.
Going by fans actions and beliefs, if they are waiting for people to buy that they are silly people. The fans have been covering up the sponsorships of the jerseys they already have that have ME bank on them, they aren't going to buy new stock with ME bank on them.

ah well.
And it's not got anything to do with the fact it looks like crap?

Its the manufacturers who make your jerseys look poo
Storm should really move away from "Super leagueishness" and they
would look proffesional,Xblades and Kooga make a terrible design

Reebok and ISC make a decent looking jersey,i hope you guys sign
up with either of these 2 before your next update otherwise you'll
have something as bad as that wigan shit,or perhaps the "wolverine
designed" jersey that saints used and somehow got out of
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

:? I think we'll pass on the 'reebok' suggestion

Nike - Fila - Canterbury - Bok - Kooga - We've had a few.All of whom,(except for Nike),tried to remove / re-invent the lightning bolt logo,(that SHOULD be left alone :evil:), to suit their own basic design models.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm pretty much on the fence when it comes to our current jersey (and we've got two more years with it). The replica version that we can buy is pretty good - the sponsor placement is okay and the piping is minimal. However, the players' version is a cluttered mess. There are too many thick white lines and the sponsor ruins the twin lightning bolts. The lightning bolts we have now don't look as nice as they did the year before - the shape is weird (even though it's the exact one from the logo) and they need to come from the shoulders. The little gold scoops are pointless and don't really match any of the lines. Not only that - the shorts don't match anything on the jersey at all (the lightning bolts aren't even the same).

At some point last year, I posted a concept I did for what I think our jersey should look like. Since then, I've greatly improved my jersey template and now, I'm really happy with what I've come up with.

To me, this jersey links the look we have now with 1998. The best jerseys are bold, simple and timeless. Dropping the lightning bolts might be controversial, but honestly, I don't think they work so well with sponsors - I think a simple V does. I'm not anti-lightning bolts at all. I liked the gold numbers we had for the last game against the Knights this year so I kept those. This is just my opinion and I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. I'd also love to see other people's ideas, even if they're just quick sketches.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

absentee wrote:I'm pretty much on the fence when it comes to our current jersey (and we've got two more years with it). The replica version that we can buy is pretty good - the sponsor placement is okay and the piping is minimal. However, the players' version is a cluttered mess. There are too many thick white lines and the sponsor ruins the twin lightning bolts. The lightning bolts we have now don't look as nice as they did the year before - the shape is weird (even though it's the exact one from the logo) and they need to come from the shoulders. The little gold scoops are pointless and don't really match any of the lines. Not only that - the shorts don't match anything on the jersey at all (the lightning bolts aren't even the same).

At some point last year, I posted a concept I did for what I think our jersey should look like. Since then, I've greatly improved my jersey template and now, I'm really happy with what I've come up with.

To me, this jersey links the look we have now with 1998. The best jerseys are bold, simple and timeless. Dropping the lightning bolts might be controversial, but honestly, I don't think they work so well with sponsors - I think a simple V does. I'm not anti-lightning bolts at all. I liked the gold numbers we had for the last game against the Knights this year so I kept those. This is just my opinion and I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. I'd also love to see other people's ideas, even if they're just quick sketches.
I think it looks awesome great job. I like the V for Victoria instead of the 1980's lightening bolts. Lightening bolts are tacky and lame. :) You should send this to the club.
onlooker
Squall
Squall

TC wrote:
onlooker wrote:
Bourbon Rat wrote:
:?
Maybe they're still trying to offload old stock first.

A quick check of the 'sponsors' section of the official website doesn't show anything new either.
Going by fans actions and beliefs, if they are waiting for people to buy that they are silly people. The fans have been covering up the sponsorships of the jerseys they already have that have ME bank on them, they aren't going to buy new stock with ME bank on them.

ah well.
And it's not got anything to do with the fact it looks like crap?
That could also be part of the reason as well, never said it wasn't. The thing that made that jersey look like crap was the sponsor changing to the colour green, the same jersey with the blue (i think it was) was not that bad at all.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah...I've got our 2009 PREMIERSHIP year jersey with the Blue Me Bank and it is a good looking jersey.

Although ME bank are shitty useless pricks...I'll keep this jersey as we won our 2009 PREMIERSHIP in it
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like the design suggested here, think you should definitely send it to the club, I know there are rules about changing jerseys but we could probably plead special circumstances here (wanting to move away from the past years bad memories etc.) and perhaps we could even have the club survey members about it and have a vote, I reckon that design would get up.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

too close to the start of the season to change the design now i would think, but i like that design, mainly the sponsors blending in and not trying to be the main feature and ruining it! they do need to be noticed or else they wont pay money to be on there, but the big green front was CRAP
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

onlooker wrote:That could also be part of the reason as well, never said it wasn't. The thing that made that jersey look like crap was the sponsor changing to the colour green, the same jersey with the blue (i think it was) was not that bad at all.
Sponsors throw money at organisations to advertise their product.... can you imagine the advertising dollars on our jersey with the green ME logo?
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

No 2011 jersey available for sale until Storm sign new sponsors.

I don't see why they don't stick with Jayco and Suzuki until new major sponsors can be found.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/melbo ... 5993839214

MELBOURNE Storm could start its fightback season without a major sponsor as the club continues to rebuild its commercial credibility. As negotiations for the right deal continued, club chief executive Ron Gauci conceded the team could run on AAMI Park in Round 1 in jerseys devoid of sponsors' logos. And Storm will not make its 2011 strip available for sale to fans until a sponsor is found.

Storm's position in the sponsorship market has changed markedly since last season's salary cap scandal, when several long-term backers withdrew support. Gauci said he had been looking outside the "traditional" sports sponsorship market for backers and, while increasing club revenue remained a priority, he would not settle for a second-rate deal.

"We want to get the right sponsor at the right level for the right term," he said. "We are prepared to take to the field without a sponsor logo if that means taking the time to get it right. "It's no different to what we did with the memberships or anything else. We are building internal systems and all these things take time if you want to get it done correctly the first time, and we are prepared to take that time."

Storm released its 2011 membership packages and slogan "Playing for Everything", a reference to having played last season for no premiership points after being stripped of eligibility.

Gauci said the theme had been endorsed by the coaches and players, and reflected many of the football department's aspirations for the coming season.

Without revealing specific numbers, Gauci said there had been solid interest from would-be 2011 members and the club still hoped to pass its record of 10,360, which was set last year.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/melbo ... 5993839214

MELBOURNE Storm could start its fightback season without a major sponsor as the club continues to rebuild its commercial credibility. As negotiations for the right deal continued, club chief executive Ron Gauci conceded the team could run on AAMI Park in Round 1 in jerseys devoid of sponsors' logos. And Storm will not make its 2011 strip available for sale to fans until a sponsor is found.

Storm's position in the sponsorship market has changed markedly since last season's salary cap scandal, when several long-term backers withdrew support. Gauci said he had been looking outside the "traditional" sports sponsorship market for backers and, while increasing club revenue remained a priority, he would not settle for a second-rate deal.

"We want to get the right sponsor at the right level for the right term," he said. "We are prepared to take to the field without a sponsor logo if that means taking the time to get it right. "It's no different to what we did with the memberships or anything else. We are building internal systems and all these things take time if you want to get it done correctly the first time, and we are prepared to take that time."

Storm released its 2011 membership packages and slogan "Playing for Everything", a reference to having played last season for no premiership points after being stripped of eligibility.

Gauci said the theme had been endorsed by the coaches and players, and reflected many of the football department's aspirations for the coming season.

Without revealing specific numbers, Gauci said there had been solid interest from would-be 2011 members and the club still hoped to pass its record of 10,360, which was set last year.
"We want to get the right sponsor at the right level for the right term," he said. "We are prepared to take to the field without a sponsor logo if that means taking the time to get it right. "It's no different to what we did with the memberships or anything else."

I hope the team does not take that attitude, I don't think we have it quite right. We wont get it right until approx. round 10. So we wont turn up for the first 9 rounds.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yeah - he completely keeps missing the point.

He had time to get this stuff together. So far - memberships were grossly late and still no sponsor.

Spend the time to get it right - sure. But dont leave it late!

It's not like we lost the sponsor at the end of the season. We lost them in April ffs. Gauci started back in July from memory.

He's had seven months to secure a major sponsor(s). It will be nine months if we run onto the field in March still without one. Unforgiveable if it happens.

We're in Australia's second biggest city with as Gauci claims - 400,000 Storm supporters - making us one of the biggest supported teams in any code (cough) - and we're owned by Rupert's Corporation.

Surely they have some contacts? Surely they have someone other than crawling back to Gerry Ryan going 'Please sir, can I have some more?'.

Here's an idea: How about the Herald Sun come on as major sponsor? Fox Sports? Valimanda? Perhaps that last one was a joke...

If you think I'm being hard on Gauci - you're right. But so should everyone who loves the Storm. He's got a tough gig no doubt, but he was chosen by News Limited as THE guy to rebuild the club.

Soooo....let's get some damn runs on the board and do it quickly.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

The search for new sponsors should have started day two. Yeah, I know there were a lot of problems last year and yeah, I know it's hard for sports teams to find sponsorship these days (harder in our situation). But really, is there seriously nobody out there willing to invest in the Storm? If there really are a few offers - and I'm sure Gauci said something to that effect at the members thing last month - what's going on? Maybe instead of sitting around waiting for that dream sponsorship to come along they should just take what they can get and make it work - as long as the money is right and the sponsor doesn't negatively impact the club's image.

On a personal note, I'm done wearing my old sponsored gear - I want some 2011 stuff. I'm sure a lot of people are the same - who'd want to wear anything with sponsor logos for companies that deserted us? I didn't tape over logos last year but I might have to this year. Maybe instead I'll just pick up one of these jerseys and be done with it: http://www.league-online.com.au/product ... econdary=0
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

absentee wrote:The search for new sponsors should have started day two. Yeah, I know there were a lot of problems last year and yeah, I know it's hard for sports teams to find sponsorship these days (harder in our situation). But really, is there seriously nobody out there willing to invest in the Storm? If there really are a few offers - and I'm sure Gauci said something to that effect at the members thing last month - what's going on? Maybe instead of sitting around waiting for that dream sponsorship to come along they should just take what they can get and make it work - as long as the money is right and the sponsor doesn't negatively impact the club's image.

On a personal note, I'm done wearing my old sponsored gear - I want some 2011 stuff. I'm sure a lot of people are the same - who'd want to wear anything with sponsor logos for companies that deserted us? I didn't tape over logos last year but I might have to this year. Maybe instead I'll just pick up one of these jerseys and be done with it: http://www.league-online.com.au/product ... econdary=0
thats what i did last year because i didnt want the green ME bank crap on it!

i read a couple of months ago something about redbull being interested in sponsoring the club. i personally think red bull on the front would be pretty cool!!