Ron Gauci live chat

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

For those that didn't get a chance to see it here it is.

Hi everyone. Ron here. I am on for the next hour with a hard stop at 3pm. I will try and answer as many questions as I can in that time.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:00
2:01

[Comment From Darren Darren : ]
First thing to ask.. what are you going to do about Channel 9 and the way they televise NRL in Melbourne .. always near midnight or after (98% of the time), as it is rare to get a live game
Friday November 19, 2010 2:01 Darren
2:02
Hi Darren, there is an agreement in place between the NRL and 9 which means they can broadcast at their discretion. The new deal in 2013 should address this issue but we are working with 9 about the potential of using their digital channels to address this in the interim
Friday November 19, 2010 2:02

[Comment From SF SF : ]
Ron - any news on new sponsors?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:02 SF
2:03
We are making progress and in negotiations currently but we are not ready to make any announcements as yet but it is looking really positive
Friday November 19, 2010 2:03
2:04

[Comment From Barbara Barbara : ]
After the events of 2010 and feeling as if no one wants us, are the NRL prepared to help us rebuild or do we continue as usual without their help
Friday November 19, 2010 2:04 Barbara
2:05
Thx Barbara. My engagements with the NRL to date has seen them very supportive. We have been given a great start to the season with home games for example.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:05
2:05

[Comment From Dean Dean : ]
Hi Ron, i've noticed many of the other clubs have released their membership packages for next year and was wondering when our will be released? I know many members are keen to know this.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:05 Dean
2:06
Thx Dean. We are going through a process of reviewing our memberships with the recent Member Survey data as an important part of that. We are looking to releasing the packages early in the new year making sure we deliver better value next year
Friday November 19, 2010 2:06
2:07

I have emailed the club before and never got replies. How do I volunteer and help the entertainment team on Game day?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:07 Darren
2:08
Darren, not sure why this has been an issue but please email at info@melbournestorm.com,au and we will see if we can assist.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:08

How could I get a gig as Storm Man one day ? that would be awesome
Friday November 19, 2010 2:08 Darren
2:09
Darren - what a great idea for a competition. Keep watching FB or Twitter and you never know
Friday November 19, 2010 2:09
2:09

[Comment From Jez Jez : ]
Hi Ron, Will the sponsor be better integrated on the front of the jersey this year.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:09 Jez
2:10
Hi Jez. We are looking at sponsorships that match up with what the club is about and the Storm brand and will sit nicely on the front of the jersey
Friday November 19, 2010 2:10
2:10

I've drawn up a few designs for possible future jersey concepts and I was wondering if the club was receptive to fans passing on ideas for stuff like that. If so, how can I do this?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:10 SF
2:11
Thx SF. Again, please use the email address in the earlier comment to send in ideas. The club loves hearing from passionate Storm people with great ideas
Friday November 19, 2010 2:11
2:12

[Comment From Brian Hamer Brian Hamer : ]
If we want to get additional memberships in 2011, how long will we have to to find out new seats? How much extra is memberships likely to increase in 2011?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:12 Brian Hamer
2:13
Majority of membership prices will only incur a minimal increase reflective of CPI for the best seats in the house in the best rectangular stadium in country. The rest of the seating info will be released early in the new year.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:13

[Comment From Jeremy Jeremy : ]
What is the latest with GI? Read Billy's contract was to be extended when will we have more news?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:13 Jeremy
2:14
We remain in ongoing discussion with a number of parties relating to the release of Greg Inglis from his existing contract with the Melbourne Storm. We are hopeful this will be finalised sooner rather than later but the fact remains that there are still a number of discussions that need to take place. Yes we are looking to extend Billy's contract as well
Friday November 19, 2010 2:14
2:14

Can we ask you to push for sponsorships that last for a few years. We have gone through many changes in the last few seasons, and it is a very expensive exercise for the majority of fans to keep up and be current with our awesome team and they way they look in their jerseys???.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:14 Darren
2:15
Darren, we are looking to sign three year contracts so that we can stabilise our sponsorship arrangements
Friday November 19, 2010 2:15
2:19
Away jerseys have become very much a part of any sporting code now to ensure there are no jersey clashes. I am sure that you would hate as much as I would to see Billy pass to Lockyer rather than Cooper due to a jersey mix up
Friday November 19, 2010 2:19

and why do we have to have away jerseys ( i think they are terrible) no one else has purple to cause a clash with us... I think it is a silly money making thing that the English soccer has imparted on to us
Friday November 19, 2010 2:19 Darren

What are you most excited about going into the 2011 season?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:19 SF
2:21
Good question SF. I think it is the knowledge that all the commitment, passion and hard work will culminate in the team doing what they do best and what they have always done without the distraction of any off field issues
Friday November 19, 2010 2:21
2:21

[Comment From Isabella Isabella : ]
With the Rebels coming into Melbourne are there any concerns about publicity being taken away from us
Friday November 19, 2010 2:21 Isabella
2:22
I think that any team which helps us grow Rugby in Victoria regardless of code is welcome
Friday November 19, 2010 2:22
2:22

[Comment From Fiz Fiz : ]
A number of us follow our junior sides as much if not more than first grade side so I was wondering if it possible for a list to be put up on the website of players in the sg ball squad and NYC squad.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:22 Fiz
2:24
Great idea Fiz. Some of our players are still arriving from overseas and interstate and when they are all here we will post them all up with photos for you all to see. The Under-20s squadwho are here are developing nicely under Dean Pay. We have recruited far and wide both in Australia and internationally to bring the best possible squad together. We have every confidence in our development systems and hopefully this will enable us to produce another squad full of future NRL stars for our club.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:24
2:24

Will we get a game of State of Origin played in Melbourne this year ?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:24 Darren
2:26
No not in 2011 but we hope to have a game here after that
Friday November 19, 2010 2:26
2:27

[Comment From Joan Joan : ]
I realise that AAMI park disallows banners but what can be done to make it a little more like we had at Olympic Park at times it feels a little cold
Friday November 19, 2010 2:27 Joan
2:28
Joan, the issue is not that at all. It does allow banners. There are restrictions however around their size and placement, particularly if they cover advertising and they should not be offensive. If they are over a certain size they need to be stored at the Stadium.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:28
2:29

Regarding the draw, how did we end up with having so many home games early in the season and very few in the second half? Is this something the club requested or are we just unlucky?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:29 SF
2:30
SF, we did not request it that way however I wouldn't see it as being unlucky. The reality is that having a home ground advantage of that size early should put us in a great position for the run home
Friday November 19, 2010 2:30
2:33
Alan, the main issue is that many of the journalists are on holiday at the moment but having said that, I have been happy with the level of coverage given we are in the off season. Look for it to ramp up in the new year.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:33

[Comment From Alan Alan : ]
Appears to be a lack of Herald Sun coverage - is this that because a lot is not happening at the moment? Also thank all the boys for keeping their heads high last year I along with others were very proud of them
Friday November 19, 2010 2:33 Alan

[Comment From Az Az : ]
Hi Ron, Thanks for taking the time to chat to us today. Just to clear up the GI saga, if a release can't be negotiated, are Storm in a position to keep Greg for 2011?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:33 Az
2:35
We originally stated that we had developed a model which included GI which we could revert to if need be however I think it is clear that the current arrangement is the most desirable for all parties.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:35
2:35

With regards to memberships seating for 2011, will there be access to the Olympic Park side of AAMI park for membership seats?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:35 Az
2:37
We are looking at this as an option based on feedback from our Member Survey. As per 2010 season the opening of Level 3 Western will be dependent on ticket pre-sales and expected game day attendance.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:37
2:37

Are you privy to the arrangement between the NRL and 9 regarding coverage. I'm mystified the Four Nations games, weren't televised live, except the game that was in Melbourne? Can Fox broadcast these games, in a similar arrangement to the AFL and its interstate games?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:37 Az
2:38
We were disappointed as much as you and our fans were. The current legislation makes it difficult for Fox Sports to cover live games in to Vic when they are not the host broadcaster
Friday November 19, 2010 2:38
2:39

but surely GI's desire would be to stay at Storm, and win the 2011 premiership here as retribution for all that happened in 2010 ??
Friday November 19, 2010 2:39 Darren
2:40

If you developed a model that included GI for 2011.. who was going to miss out.. and why arent we doing that as priority number 1 ?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:40 Darren
2:41
I think GI has made his preferences clear. We are very confident of the squad that we have going into the 2011 season. The new boys have settled in to the club very quickly. The club has prided itself on finding diamonds in the rough in the past and Craig Bellamy will be determined to do this again this year.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:41
2:42

Most clubs have their official sites as part of the Bigpond network and as a result, they for the most part all look the same (and to be honest, the overall quality isn't amazing). How much freedom does the Storm have regarding content and features? Any chance of more inside information on the club and players?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:42 SF
2:43
We have total control over what goes on to our web site, highlighted by the recent series showcasing and introducing our Newbies. We are looking to develop our insider content experience further. There's plans for a more in depth coverage next year to give our members a greater insight
Friday November 19, 2010 2:43
2:44

Thanks for your time Ron. I'd just like to say well done in your efforts during a tumultuous time. Also its great to see the Twiiter feed and facebook updates keeping fans informed of club developments and player updates during the off season.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:44 Az
Thanks Az. I appreciate the comments and acknowledgement of the team's efforts to keep everyone informed
Friday November 19, 2010 2:44

I totally agree about Craig Bellamy he is a master genius. I cant wait to see what he does with our lads for the next season
Friday November 19, 2010 2:44 Darren
2:46
It is not just the work he is doing with the new players that you should admire, you should see what he is doing with the Kevin Walters and David Kidwell as our new assistants
Friday November 19, 2010 2:46
2:46

[Comment From Leanne Leanne : ]
What is the contract status with Cooper Cronk?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:46 Leanne
2:48
Cooper has another three years to go and is ready to go. The recent four nations has been a great series for Cooper. Whilst on the Four Nations - Our Four Nations players, except for Gareth Widdop, will be back at training on January 3. It’s been a long year for the squad and they deserve a break – I’m sure they will come back refreshed both mentally and physically. Gareth will be back at training in the next few weeks and I’ve been told that in the past, when the likes of Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater, Adam Blair and Sika Manu, it’s a real lift for our younger players. Hopefully they will have a similar effect this year.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:48
2:48

I'm sure Kevvy and Dave will go a massive way to fill any gap left by Steve Kearney leaving us
Friday November 19, 2010 2:48 Darren
2:49
Kevin and Kiddy are looking great and already having a great impact.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:49

[Comment From Leanne Leanne : ]
Thanks Ron - thats good news about our boys
Friday November 19, 2010 2:49 Leanne
Thanks Leanne
Friday November 19, 2010 2:49
2:53

Ron, thanks heaps for this. Seems like I stole the show a bit with the number of Q's fired at you.. but I am passionate about Storm and whilst still seething over this years events, I see the light ahead of us and our ongoing battle against the rest of the world. Bring on 2011. Maybe I will get to have a beer with you during the season, and hope to clink glasses with you at Grand Final celebrations. Cheers mate !!!
Friday November 19, 2010 2:53 Darren
2:54
Thanks Darren. I appreciate the commitment. Spread the word for us so that we can get as many supporters signed up as members as possible to make a statement
Friday November 19, 2010 2:54
2:54

How have you enjoyed the job - a little more of a challenge than you thought?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:54 Barbara
2:55
Barbara, I am really enjoying the club, the people, supporters and the challenge. I have come in to the role with all eyes open and excited about what we can still achieve once we all put this year well and truly into the past
Friday November 19, 2010 2:55
2:55

Any chance of having chats like this in the future with Craig, Cam or any of the players?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:55 SF
2:56
SF, I intend to make myself available on a regular monthly basis but yes we are also looking to do this regularly with others in the new year
Friday November 19, 2010 2:56
2:56

Hi Ron, Does Storm have a full list, or is there still a spot remaining for a signature later in the year?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:56 Az
2:57
Az, we are keeping a spot open for what may come in the new year
Friday November 19, 2010 2:57

To all the Storm Family - have a great Xmas and here is to a great 2011
Friday November 19, 2010 2:57 Barbara
2:58
Thanks Barbara and big ditto from the club. It seems our time has run out. Thank you all for joining me today. I have no doubt this team will be the hardest working in the competition. The results have already been impressive during the pre-season. Their destiny will definitely be in their hands and it will be an exciting journey in 2011. Keep you support and passion coming. Bye for now. Ron
Friday November 19, 2010 2:58
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looks like they're keeping the spot open just in case the Inglis deal falls through. So that must mean we can sign 1 or even 2 quality players.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

This guy never really says anything. He also sound like he is running for election. I wish he would say something that is not the party line.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

First thing to ask.. what are you going to do about Channel 9 and the way they televise NRL in Melbourne .. always near midnight or after (98% of the time), as it is rare to get a live game
Friday November 19, 2010 2:01 Darren
Hi Darren, there is an agreement in place between the NRL and 9 which means they can broadcast at their discretion.
Gauci should talk to Gallop as that's not what was published about the Melbourne coverage when the current TV rights deal was signed!
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

If we want to get additional memberships in 2011, how long will we have to to find out new seats? How much extra is memberships likely to increase in 2011?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:12 Brian Hamer
Majority of membership prices will only incur a minimal increase reflective of CPI for the best seats in the house in the best rectangular stadium in country. The rest of the seating info will be released early in the new year.
Friday November 19, 2010 2:13

Bad mistake there Ron, considering what happened this year. You would think that the Storm should have repayed the loyal members who will renew this year, by NOT increasing the membership price for next year at the very least.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

OK.............Just got home from an interesting night out & thought I'd check the forum.
The jury is still out on the 'Hi I'm Ron' hour.
Though it's utilising a different medium to Waldron & previous it's still a case of.

Same shit - Different day.

The condensed info..............................

The GI saga continues

We still get screwed over by channel 9

Membership will cost more,(surprise surprise)

AAMI Park will continue to be a tad soulless & quiet

Did I miss anything that was REALLY informative ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

I have emailed the club before and never got replies. How do I volunteer and help the entertainment team on Game day?
Darren, not sure why this has been an issue but please email at info@melbournestorm.com,au and we will see if we can assist.

Ron you idiot
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Massive mistake to increase membership prices 'in line with inflation'.

It ignores the fact that members/fans/players/everyone got royally screwed over by the systematic rorting of the cap by its 'owners'.

The 'owners' now need to front up and discount the memberships as a clear sign of reconciliation.

My heart was ripped out last year - and I'm sure many feel the same. Wounds are still raw - and I know I'm not the only one. As much as I want to look forward, the 'owners' still have some ground to make up.

In 'increase in line with inflation' is just another slap in the face. A CPI increase aint going to make one ioata of difference the the multi-national conglomorate which is News Limited - so why go there?

It makes no sense. I would offer a minimum 10% reduction - if not 20%. Thats a $400k - $800k (rough math based on 10,000 members) peace offering - but could be a massive difference between getting 4,000 members or getting back to 10,000+.
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Cowbell-Mark wrote:[Comment From Darren Darren : ]

Ron you idiot

What do you expect him to say? lol

I thought he did well.

Gave good insight to the on goings of the off season training, told us all when each player woulf be back at training.

He cleared up the banners thing in regards to AAMI.

He answered everything he possibily could and clarified many things.

Also mentioned the possibility of Melbourne getting Channel 9 games at the same time as the rest of the world on channel 9 digital channels until the new deal comes into affect in 2013.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

onlooker wrote:

Ron you idiot

I thought he did well.

Gave good insight to the on goings of the off season training, told us all when each player woulf be back at training.

Also mentioned the possibility of Melbourne getting Channel 9 games at the same time as the rest of the world on channel 9 digital channels until the new deal comes into affect in 2013.
How about: "Call the club direct" or "Email me direct" or "I'll get someone to give you a call"...

It's hardly rocket science...

The poster complained about a lack of responses to their previous emails. So the CEO asks them to send yet another email... :?
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
Hi Ron, Does Storm have a full list, or is there still a spot remaining for a signature later in the year?
Friday November 19, 2010 2:56 Az

Az, we are keeping a spot open for what may come in the new year
Friday November 19, 2010 2:57

Keeping a spot open means there is $50-$80K left in the salary-cap.

This does'nt correlate at all with what Gauci was saying to the press last week i.e. we cant pay the $40-$50k Inglis wants as this means we would have to release a player.

I really want to like you Ronny G......
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Diehard_Storm wrote:
onlooker wrote:

Ron you idiot

I thought he did well.

How about: "Call the club direct" or "Email me direct" or "I'll get someone to give you a call"...

It's hardly rocket science...

The poster complained about a lack of responses to their previous emails. So the CEO asks them to send yet another email... :?
Wouldn't any reasonable person call the club direct anyway if their emails were not being answered??
That too is not rocket science - some people need to be spoon-fed every bloody thing.
I guess there's many people who are tarring him with the same brush as Waldron & Co without giving him a chance - he's damned if he do & damned if he don't ::)
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Our Previous CEO used to beat the drum and say how he was going to do this and that! and tell Channel 9 when to screen games etc etc. And look where he got us!!
Give Ron a chance, He joined the club at its lowest ebb and to be fair in his short term hasn't done anything wrong, if after 2 years he is still answering questions like a politician then start complaining.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don't know why people think Ron Gauci can do anything about Channel 9. If the NRL hasn't done anything by now - and I don't know if they've tried or not (I doubt it though) - Ron Gauci isn't going to walk in and magically make things right. Supposedly Channel 9 is going to be allowed to use their secondary channels to screen the NRL outside of NSW and Queensland from next season, anyway. Gauci and the Storm have nothing to do with that.
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

I'm not having a go at Ron, I'm just saying that his response for that very question was poor, considering the bloke was just looking to volunteer and help the club.