Billy in the 4N Final / Tournament

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
CentralParkWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

His errors especially the dropped bomb will no doubt get highlighted BUT even without the latter part of the game I have never seen Billy so quiet. Looking at the Aus backline weakened by losses like GI, Izzy the team IMO had to rely heavily on Billy. Yet for whatever reason nothing seemed to be played through him/at him to the point that was probably his quietest game in the Green & Gold. Any ideas why? The little moment of magic for the try was Billy Slater. The lack of energy / involvement for much was not Billy.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

CentralParkWigan wrote:His errors especially the dropped bomb will no doubt get highlighted BUT even without the latter part of the game I have never seen Billy so quiet. Looking at the Aus backline weakened by losses like GI, Izzy the team IMO had to rely heavily on Billy. Yet for whatever reason nothing seemed to be played through him/at him to the point that was probably his quietest game in the Green & Gold. Any ideas why? The little moment of magic for the try was Billy Slater. The lack of energy / involvement for much was not Billy.

Because its his last,he knows who will be back in contention next year
CentralParkWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Duggan? Hayne? Boyd? Gidley?

Cannot think of anybody else :P
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

CentralParkWigan wrote:Duggan? Hayne? Boyd? Gidley?

The man with a better game/try strike rate than anyone in the current game ofcourse
CentralParkWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

William Hopoate :lol:

;) The injury prone FB with off field drama is not a bad player but Slater is so much better it isn't funny.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

CentralParkWigan wrote:William Hopoate :lol:
;) The injury prone FB with off field drama is not a bad player but Slater is so much better it isn't funny.
Id rather William than Slater anyways,but at Manly we have even better
Oldfield is faster than both of them and can only get better in time,probably end up as a winger though
because somehow Hopoate is rated higher

Stewart's strike rate > Any other fullback

My order of fullbacks would be

1 Stewart
Equal 2nd Slater,Dugan,The Count
Equal 3rd Boyd,Hayne,Hopoate,Coote
After 3rd they become less fullback and more fullhack
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

nah.. its just a heap of judgment put down on slater because he dropped 1 ball..

What did locky do.. nothin.. what about the forwards? they got dominated..

Billy will be back.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

simo wrote:nah.. its just a heap of judgment put down on slater because he dropped 1 ball..

Billy will be back.

Its not just the dropped bomb,he made little to no impact,nor did the forwards,Lockyer went alrightish
but Cronk seemed to play outside him,theres a lot of others who didnt perform
CentralParkWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Lockyer is living on borrowed time and IMO had a very poor game even allowing for the lack of dominance. I do think Cronk guides a team around the park well enough to add more danger and flair at 6.

Billy, I have never seen him so lack lustre. He is normally the Energizer Bunny.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Eagle wrote:
simo wrote:nah.. its just a heap of judgment put down on slater because he dropped 1 ball..

Billy will be back.

Its not just the dropped bomb,he made little to no impact,nor did the forwards,Lockyer went alrightish
but Cronk seemed to play outside him,theres a lot of others who didnt perform
the whole team was luck lustre and made no impact.. no one was good.

there was worse then Billy..
CentralParkWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Cam Smith was very good, Brent Tate whilst on the field was very good, Greg Bird was very good, Paul Gallen was decent. Cronk was decent.
superstar5677
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

The majority of the Aussies weren't up to the challenge, they probably focused on keeping Benji quiet for the game, and then the Kiwi forwards came in and flattened them. Billy just had one bad game, and he's probably already beating himself up about it enough so that we don't even have to talk about this.
And coops has been awesome :) :) :)
And Cam's had a great tournament, probably his best ever :)
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The Eagle wrote:
CentralParkWigan wrote:Duggan? Hayne? Boyd? Gidley?

The man with a better game/try strike rate than anyone in the current game ofcourse

hahahahahahaahhahahahahah I love how you think Stewart is better than Slater.....atleast Slater can get through a season without getting injured every 2nd game :P

Sorry mate don't wanna be harsh on you but if you really think Stewart is better than Slater than you have no idea about what makes a class footballer.

Before you mate can think about dethroning Slater he needs to worry about getting his origin spot back from Hayne (both hayne and gidley are ahead of him in the pecking order) that makes him the 4th best full back in the game
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't get it. ???

Billy was always there to be used but wasn't.

He got smashed a couple of times and took a while to regain composure but before and after was always there abouts..
Many times he was at dummy half getting the team going.

Was easily one of the better players for Oz.
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
CentralParkWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

IMO Klutz that was not the Billy Slater we all know out there. From minute 1 to 80. Ignoring the mistakes he was just not involved how he normally is. I gave it some thought and think either Sheens instructed the team to play a certain way or so many players not being in the NRL play offs took their sharpness away.

Billy, Cam and Cronk are almost telepathic at their best. Given the absences for Aus I would have built my attack in the backs around Billy more than ever.

I actually think lack of ambition / fear of being bold with ball in hand typified the final and increasingly typifies big games. It was only when the Kiwis were staring defeat that they tried to be bold and ambitious. Interestingly and I fely he had a good game, Aus 6-0 up ball goes to Cooper. NZ after the previous week dropped their wings behind all the time. Man less in the line. Aus 3 men over, Cooper kicks a grubber and gets a repeat set but a simple play as you see it play and a try / 6 more points. Aus leading 12-0. I thought Cronk was unlucky with the chip and grubber kick play.