2011 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

apprently stanley went back to sydney and now sisa is training with the storm he hasnt actully signed yet
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Sisa is the winger/centre. Stanley is the big prop.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sisa has talent but i wouldnt get too excited. Didnt do too well at the Roosters.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote:Sisa has talent but i wouldnt get too excited. Didnt do too well at the Roosters.

Neither have a heap of discards we've picked up from other teams ;) As we all know a large part of our past has been built on recruiting unwanted players and/or no names from other clubs so he could very end up being yet another one of those regardless of what he did at the Rooters. If it turns out he actually has signed and Bellyache did so over Stanley then i think it's fair to say he saw more potential in him than his brother/cousin or whatever relation he is. Either way time will tell.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

bula wrote:Sisa has talent but i wouldnt get too excited. Didnt do too well at the Roosters.
no one did well at the roosters in 2009! but for bellyache to sign him means he has something and craig will bring it out. im just liking the extra speed he will bring, my concerns with the team for 2011 - we are 1 big hard frontrower short and we needed 1 guy out wide with speed to burn, so that would solve 1 of the problems in my opinion.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lol, they have no relation at all. Sisa, if signed, would easily be the fastest over 100 at the club. He just needs to be coached and taught the game abit better imo. But you're right, definately some potential. Still gutted Stan didnt work out.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

so no chance of stanley waqa signing? i thought i read somewhere he was given a fitness program when he left to go back to sydney to cut his weight (apparently he was 130kgs) and will be assessed soon. any truth in that?
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storming wrote:so no chance of stanley waqa signing? i thought i read somewhere he was given a fitness program when he left to go back to sydney to cut his weight (apparently he was 130kgs) and will be assessed soon. any truth in that?
we'll just have to wait and see.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i just noticed 2 new names ive never heard of on the list of boys training Thorpe and Jacks (no first names)
Anyone have any info on them
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Wellington development camp was held on the weekend.
Thanks to all the volunteers and supporters who helped make the Storm Camp and Golf Classic such a huge success.
7 boys have picked up training scholarships with the Storm which will see them travel to Melbourne in 2011 for a 3 day elite camp.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cant wait to find out who the kids are, weve done well out of this partnership in the very short time its been going
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

MELBOURNE Storm chief executive Ron Gauci yesterday backed rising Queensland stars Dane Nielsen and Justin O'Neill to fill the void left by superstar centre Greg Inglis.
Gauci also effectively ruled out any chance of Inglis returning to Melbourne should the NRL block his proposed three-year deal with South Sydney because of salary cap breaches.

Nielsen and O'Neill were named in the Queensland State of Origin emerging squad this month and are set to get first crack at the centre berths at the Storm next year.

But Shane Neumann shapes as a wildcard, with the Easts Tigers junior returning to Brisbane as part of Melbourne's new two-year affiliation with the Troy McCarthy-coached club. Neumann played six NRL games for the Bulldogs this year.
Gauci was in Brisbane yesterday to sign off on the deal and spoke about the Storm's readiness for 2011 when once again they will play for premiership points after being rendered impotent this year because of salary cap rorts.

"We think our stocks are healthy," Gauci said.

"(Coach) Craig Bellamy used last season as an opportunity to try some of the younger guns and that middle tier of player stepped up to a point where we won as many games as we did in 2009. Dane and Justin came along well and suffice to say big things are expected of them.

"As far as Greg is concerned, the NRL, Souths and Storm are working towards trying to honour his preference to play with the Rabbitohs, but I think we've already seen that anything is possible.

"I'm not wanting to turn that into a headline, but the reality is we have to wait for the NRL to assess the contract."

Gauci said he was confident the drawn-out Inglis saga had not had a negative impact on the Storm's playing roster, even though Inglis is still contracted to the club.

"We think we know where this is going to end up and we've chosen our players and settled on our roster," he said.

"We're keen to get on with 2011 and the affiliation with Easts is a perfect example of how this club is moving to secure its future."

The Storm will provide a minimum of three players a week to Easts, who are looking to climb the ladder after failing to make the finals this year.

Easts were previously affiliated with the Broncos, but with four other clubs also in the Broncos' loop it was not uncommon to go several weeks without an allocated NRL player.

"We think this is a better fit for us," Easts chief executive Des Morris said.

Melbourne will play a trial against Easts at Langlands Park on Friday, February 11.

Former Melbourne centre Willie Isa has signed with English club Castleford.

A Penrith junior, Auckland-born Isa played three NRL games last season
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:i just noticed 2 new names ive never heard of on the list of boys training Thorpe and Jacks (no first names)
Anyone have any info on them
http://www.qrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=ar ... s-&-losses

Easts Tigers

Gains: Rhys Jacks (Gold Coast Titans/Ipswich Jets), Shane Neumann (Canterbury Bulldogs), McKanah Gibson (Norths), Liufau Hala (Redcliffe Dolphins), Ben Henaway (Burdekin), Geoff Holcombe (Ipswich Jets), Fred Pakutoa (Melbourne Storm), Matt Minto (Central Comets).

Losses: Scott Ireland (Ipswich Jets), Matt McPhee (Ipswich Jets), Dane Phillips (Souths Logan), Ben Vaeau (France), Nathan Pill, Jace Van Dijk.
One of the gains for the Easts Tigers is Rhys Jacks, who is a halfback / five eighth, who played NYC with the Titans and some Qld Cup with Ipswich this year. He is an Easts Tigers junior. Could this be the Jacks that was listed on training group?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

wow if it is rhys jacks then thats kool...i kinda have been following is carrer cause his brother plays afl which i always found strange
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

His Dad Gary Jack was a great Fullback if thats the same family.