Billy centrepage in yesterday's MX

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

MX wrote:SUPERSTAR QUALITY

The rugby league world bowed to Billy Slater when he scored a sensational try for Queensland. But he had a better time at his 21st. RUSSELL GOULD reports.

The story goes that when he was a teenager, Billy Slater wrote to the Brisbane Broncos, asking them if he could come and play for them.

The story gets better: they didn't bother penning an answer.

But as Slater heads to Brisbane for Melbourne Storm's first final this Saturday, he wants to set the record straight: he has never asked the Broncos for a favour.

"I don't know where the story is coming from and I've heard it a few times, but I've never written to the Broncos, ever," he said. "I've never written to any team to ask for a start."

Slater, 21, launched himself in to the upper-echelons of league stars this year with "that" try for Queensland in his first State-of-Origin game in May.

It made him hot property up north, but luckily for the Storm, he loves life here. It's not as predictable as his native Innisfail, near Cairns, but it has its good points and he's staying for the next three years.

"I miss the sun. You hardly ever see it down here," he said of Melbourne.

"When I was growing up (in Innisfail), you never used to know what season it was because the weather was always the same.

"But down here you know exactly what is happening, and when summer is coming, how many days it is.

"But I moved down here for the chance. There were 11 or 12 Origin players in the Broncos' side and most of them were backs (Slater is a full-back).

"I just thought I would have better opportunities at Melbourne and that's the way it has panned out."

Slater returns to Suncorp Stadium this weekend where he scored what rugby commentators called the "try of the century".

"This time I'll have about 50,000 fans against me instead of with me, so this time it will be a little bit different," he said.

It was an outstanding piece of individual brilliance, winning Queensland the game and earning Slater a street-parade in Innisfail when he went home for his 21st birthday.

A local beer maker put on the grog and the whole town turned up for what Slater called "the best few days I've ever had in my life".

"I had my party on Friday and had a few drinks with my mates. And then on Saturday they were going skydiving, so I did that with them in Cairns," he said. And his head stayed in the clouds when he returned to Melbourne, as Slater became our newest sporting hero.

"On the field I was getting a bit of attention before the Origin try, so that didn't really change too much," he said.

"But off the field, for about a month or so I was in the spotlight.

"You've got a lot of things on, talking to media and you have more pressure on, and people are looking for you. It can be hard to keep your mind on the job.

"But it is hard to get a big head because you have the older blokes pulling you back into line."

Slater doesn't play for the cameras anyway.

"We have fun playing football and when you stop having fun, you shouldn't be in the game anymore," he said.

Slater is a superstar and will be for years to come, but that doesn't mean he's any different to family, friends or teammates. Because for all the plaudits that have come his way, he says he's still "just Billy".
Picture

=D>

*For those outside Melbourne, Mx is a free newspaper available at inner city locations and the main train stations during the afternoon peak. Hopefully a lot of commuters took the time to read about our Billy.