A message from Acting Storm CEO Frank Stanton

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
superstar5677
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

PURPLE HEART, PURPLE PRIDE
NEVER SURRENDER, NEVER DIE

I <3 Cooper Cronk!!!
*swoon*
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

To all Melbourne Storm Supporters,

As you have no doubt heard, the findings of the Deloitte investigation into salary cap breaches at the Storm have just been released.

It is now estimated that the total value of salary cap breaches between 2006 and 2010 is over $3 million.

There will be a lot of media coverage today and in the days ahead, and this will be another difficult period for the Melbourne Storm family.

But you have proven over the past few months that Melbourne Storm supporters are the most loyal and dedicated in the NRL.

I want to thank you once again for the extraordinary support you have shown and I urge you to maintain your faith.

We are determined to rebuild this club and ensure that the Storm will be a serious contender for the NRL Premiership in 2011.

We still have a lot to do and we do not underestimate the enormity of the challenge ahead of us. A new chief executive officer will be appointed soon and his job, together with the club’s management, will be to ensure that we field a competitive team next year that is under the salary cap.

News Limited confirmed today that it is committed to the Storm in Melbourne – and to rebuilding our great club.

John Hartigan, chairman and chief executive of News, said he shares the pain of Storm supporters because we are all paying the price for the actions of a small group of individuals.
Like me, John believes the Storm will be premiers again – and that the path to that future premiership begins today.

Our team has shown remarkable resilience since April and proven many people wrong by the way they have played for pride, their teammates and their supporters. I am sure that they will do us proud against the Warriors in Auckland on Saturday.

Thank you again for your ongoing and magnificent support and I look forward to providing more information in the weeks ahead.

Frank Stanton
Acting Chief Executive Officer

.......which I`m sure will contain absolutely nothing that hasn`t been approved of by the News Ltd propaganda machine.
        The action to sack the 4 independant directors is nothing short of disgraceful. By your own admissions (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 66,00.html  ) the 4 independant directors have not been implicated in this issue and yet they, and only they , of the Board of Directors have been removed. This is nothing short of a blatant attempt by News Ltd to seize and ensure control of the club, particularly during the period that will now follow where contracts will have to be negotiated with players and players will undoubtedly have to leave. The only real  conclusion to be drawn from this is that Hartigan and Gallop will be able to achieve what they have plainly sort from the outset and be able to control the breakup of the playing group to their satisfaction
        The fact that News Ltd have not seen fit to release the whole audit document, instead sending it to their lawyers for sterilization first, does nothing but reinforce the perception that they have themselves been implicated and are going to whatever lengths it takes to cover their backsides. In short Frank, I doubt that their are many Storm supporters who will trust News Ltd, their representatives or their motives and we will be watching closely
Last edited by Woody on Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacko
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Woody wrote:
.......which I`m sure will contain absolutely nothing that hasn`t been approved of by the News Ltd propaganda machine.
        The action to sack the 4 independant directors is nothing short of disgraceful. By your own admissions (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 66,00.html  ) the 4 independant directors have not been implicated in this issue and yet they, and only they , of the Board of Directors have been removed. This is nothing short of a blatant attempt by News Ltd to seize and ensure control of the club, particularly during the period that will now follow where contracts will have to be negotiated with players and players will undoubtedly have to leave. The only real  conclusion to be drawn from this is that Hartigan and Gallop will be able to achieve what they have plainly sort from the outset and be able to control the breakup of the playing group to their satisfaction
        The fact that News Ltd have not seen fit to release the whole audit document, instead sending it to their lawyers for sterilization first, does nothing but reinforce the perception that they have themselves been implicated and are going to whatever lengths it takes to cover their backsides. In short Frank, I doubt that their are many Storm supporters who will trust News Ltd, their representatives or their motives and we will be watching closely
I am stunned every time I visit your great site and read the vitriol directed at your owners. The fact is they have done nothing but support your great club for 10+ years now at a massive cost to them for virtually no return. If they wanted to, they could very easily use this as an excuse to walk away from the club, but even today they are dedicating themselves to support the club for the long term. I honestly wish they owned the club I support, then I would be sure that we would be around for the years to come.

Those who look to the independent Directors to take over the club are seriously deluded if they think they would be better off with this ownership structure and the financial backing that would mean.

It's time to build a bridge!!!!
your kettle is black
Squall
Squall

Jacko wrote:
Woody wrote:
I am stunned every time I visit your great site and read the vitriol directed at your owners. The fact is they have done nothing but support your great club for 10+ years now at a massive cost to them for virtually no return. If they wanted to, they could very easily use this as an excuse to walk away from the club, but even today they are dedicating themselves to support the club for the long term. I honestly wish they owned the club I support, then I would be sure that we would be around for the years to come.

Those who look to the independent Directors to take over the club are seriously deluded if they think they would be better off with this ownership structure and the financial backing that would mean.

As a Tigers fan I agree with much of what you say about the support from news ltd, but look at it from the storm fans POV - this club is being torn apart and they have no idea what will happen next and just want to vent at those responsible - their owners!

Not the NRL.

Not even David Gallop.

The Storm management have stabbed themselves in the heart and bloodletting is well and truly in order.

I'd love to see news get out of the game (as an owner of the comp and a team) completely, and just pay the bucketload of cash the TV rights deal is worth instead of the reduced amount they get away with under the current deal. Time to rebuild Storm - and it's a long and winding road if it's done without a bottomless pit of cash.
Any other club caught doing similar deserves equal punishment!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jacko wrote:
I am stunned every time I visit your great site and read the vitriol directed at your owners. The fact is they have done nothing but support your great club for 10+ years now at a massive cost to them for virtually no return.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Are you honestly naive enough to think the money News have put in over the years has not only been re-couped by them and then some by the money they make in tv rights, print media, league sponsorship etc by having a team in the second biggest city in the country? There's a reason why they've held onto the Storm for so long and it sure as shit isn't out of the goodness of their black heart.

Come back when you actually get a clue about how the big bad world out there really is and how it works and until then *lima lima lima duck* back of to join the other brainless halfwits at LU who have even less of a clue than you.
petawilk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Jacko wrote:
Woody wrote:

Can I tell you why we are shitty with News Corp?  They own the Melbourne Storm, half of the NRL and Fox Sports. Part of the problem is that News and their employees are blaming everyone else, other than News corp people; they refuse to address or take the members interests into accounts; part of the "overs" are to do with deals between players and Fox Sports; The people who have caused this huge problem were championed and appointed by News Corp. News Corp flunkies (ie Gallop) have no empathy for our players, who, while they have benefitted by the "overs", they are innocent of wrongdoing, but are having their lives turned upside down.

The fans have had the threat of our beloved club being wiped from the earth.

So, it's gonna take a big bridge!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

So, it's gonna take a big bridge!
Especially with News Ltd removing the people willing to gather the materials & construct that bridge  :roll: Whilst leaving 'unscathed' a couple of very cunning bridge burners  :evil:

Show us the FULL & un-doctored audit data & the cap rules given to Deloitte by the NRL & we'll see what we have to build a bridge with.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Jacko, I can understand your bemusement regarding the vitriol levelled at News Ltd but then you haven`t seen your club taken from what it was three months ago to being compared to some of the greatest sporting scandals in history and I sincerely hope you never have to. You haven`t  watched the entity that owns you, News Ltd, and has done since the clubs inception, use its media outlets to systematically destroy your reputation with very little factual evidence other than intial facts of the case that were established when the cap breaches were found. You aren`t being controlled by a group who expects you to be stupid enough to believe that even though they have equal representation on the board and employed directly the person labelled as the chief architect  that they had no knowledge of what was happening
News Ltd have sacked the four independent directors. Why? It cant possibly be to suggest that they have had anything to do with the situation because their own “independent “ audit has not found any evidence to implicate any one of them. So what has happened to the rumoured information, again distributed by News Ltd media, intimating that at least one of the directors was directly involved that appeared in the papers again no later than last week?
Our players have been branded as cheats and have had there reputations permanently damaged over the last three months by leaks from an audit that yesterday cleared them of any wrong doing. The participation of our players in the audit was apparently not required for media to suggest that G.I. had received a boat illegally or that our Captain had signed three contracts and yet, again, no players yesterday were found to have done anything wrong . This even though the articles that made these allegations suggested that the evidence had been found and would be included in the audit. Misinformation? ...Character Assassination possibly?
News Ltd have admitted, have  actually flaunted , that they have no intention of releasing the whole audit document for perusal because it would be “too difficult”. Why? Our clubs reputation and brand has been badly damaged by the actual event, as well as the constant speculation and unfounded accusation over the last three months. There can`t possibly be anything left that we haven`t been accused of that could do more harm. To reduce a three month forensic audit to a twelve page “ summary” would effectively mean that less than a quarter of one page has been devoted to each player involved, assuming that only the first graders have been targeted and that absolutely nothing has been written about the club, it`s internal processes or anyone else. I think it should be pretty obvious that that is patently obsured. So what hasn`t been reported in the media that was in the audit?
To use a phrase that has been put out frequently since this all started “ There have been rats in the ranks” and those rats have caused some very real problems and we must now deal with the consequences, but rats are attracted to smells and things that are off and this whole things reeks of News Ltd

Sorry for the big block of writing
Last edited by Woody on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudski
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Jacko wrote:
Woody wrote:

Well said. Im sure News have better things to spend their money on, like a Central Coast or 2nd brisbane team.
A lot of people seem to be forgetting what happened here. The Storm cheated, and cheated badly. To say the players and coach had no idea what was going on is just absurd. you dont sign 2 contracts and have giftvouchers/free flights/free cars/cheques from charity orgs just given to you and not  have an inkling something si going on.
The Storm and their fans need to stop playing the victim and just accept that they got busted doing something very very bad
Last edited by Rudski on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With all due respect Frank, STFU you NEWS LTD puppet. And any who comes in here and defends NEWs after what theyve done to league can go step in front of a bus. NEWS are doing here what theyve always done, look after themselves. The Storm have more then paid there way when you consider pay tv ratings.
Jacko
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I genuinely sympathise with your position, but the truth is that News Limited didn't do the deals that caused this problem, Waldron & others did. News Limited did write the cheques and despite your fears of being wiped out, News Limited have consistently and repeatedly assured you that they will continue to support the club.

I agree there will always be conflicts of interest whilst ever they own half of the NRL, but seriously, I haven't seen a single action from News Limited aimed at damaging the club. Yes, News sacked the four Directors that News appointed, but it's their legal and moral right to hire who they see fit to run the club. Those same Directors refused to cooperate with the owners investigations into what had happened. Frankly I am surprised they weren't fired weeks ago.
Rudski
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Any good the storm has given to the game has been undone and more the past few months.
As for the poster above, I also feel for storm fans, it must be a prick of a situation to be in. I used to live down there and used to quite like the team (circa 98-02) but frankly what theyve done to this great game stinks. its not the NRL's fauklt, its Not News Ltd's fault, its Brian Waldrons, his board and his players. To say they had no idea it was going on is just ridiculous. Cameron Smith knew exactly what he was signing, boats dont just appear, gift vouchers dont just appear, cars to familes dont just appear.
The NRL needs the Storm but they need to clean the entire place up ASAP before Rugby League in gheneral suffers any more.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Rudski wrote: Any good the storm has given to the game has been undone and more the past few months.
As for the poster above, I also feel for storm fans, it must be a prick of a situation to be in. I used to live down there and used to quite like the team (circa 98-02) but frankly what theyve done to this great game stinks. its not the NRL's fauklt, its Not News Ltd's fault, its Brian Waldrons, his board and his players. To say they had no idea it was going on is just ridiculous. Cameron Smith knew exactly what he was signing, boats dont just appear, gift vouchers dont just appear, cars to familes dont just appear.
The NRL needs the Storm but they need to clean the entire place up ASAP before Rugby League in gheneral suffers any more.
GI Bought that boat with over the cap payments,he wasnt just given it he physically payed for it,the so called journo that said it
was a gift was guessing,news limited papers make me lolz
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
Rudski
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Ok then, i take the boat part back
luvin.the.storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Rudski wrote: The Storm and their fans need to stop playing the victim and just accept that they got busted doing something very very bad
What did I do!? What did we all do, besides support our team, while everyone else was sticking the boot in??
Im going to keep playing the victim until everything is done and dusted because im 100% sure I had NO KNOWLEDGE of the rorting..  :icon_frown: