HOFFY & LIMA SIGN WITH WIGAN

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://sportal.com.au/league-news-displ ... pair-94766

The Exodus continues.  Two great servants of the mighty melbourne storm.  Will Miss them both.
Monsoon
Monsoon

They will be missed, great long term servants, especially hoff who bleeds purple. Both have been average on the field this year though and it makes sense to me, quite happy with the decision to release them in the whole context of things though.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Jeff we all knew was leaving. Still surprised Hoffy was - I guess that means we will need another second rower to come up to fill a bench spot  -  white should stay now.

Thats 400k off the cap plus tolman and tandy must be 130-150 - already shed 450k, another 300K in salary cap takes it to 750K 'saved' ...not looking *that* bad......

Roll on 2011 as i reckon we will still have a top 4 team 
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The exodus to Wigan may not end there, with Wigan boss and former Melbourne assistant Michael McGuire possibly eyeing several other players.
I doubt that Wigan would have any 'empty spots' for more overseas players ?

Bit odd also that there is nothing about this on any on the Wigan sites  :?
Especially since they recently introduced some young 2nd rowers too their 2011 squad.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Monsoon
Monsoon

storm_rhinos wrote: Jeff we all knew was leaving. Still surprised Hoffy was - I guess that means we will need another second rower to come up to fill a bench spot  -  white should stay now.

Thats 400k off the cap plus tolman and tandy must be 130-150 - already shed 450k, another 300K in salary cap takes it to 750K 'saved' ...not looking *that* bad......

Roll on 2011 as i reckon we will still have a top 4 team  
Tolman and tandy dont count for next years breaches as they were uncontracted, same as when finch goes.

I also think you will find hoffy signed a juicy contract when he was a mainstay in origin & Australia, $325,000 easy.Lima was a long time international bookend, wouldnt have been a cent under $200,000
Last edited by 1999 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I hate seeing players go - even though I know that with out this salary cap crap that
we would have still seen several players leave.....

One positive is that they are not going to play against Storm in the NRL....

Maybe a World Club Challenge Cup... hehehehehe  ;D
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

They may as Piggy Riddell is coming back so that frees up one spot, straight swap plus they lost tim smith half way though...i think they are ok that respect. Lima may qualify as a Kolpac player due to Samoan heritage

They were allowed to sign Roberts in 2009 when Carmont qualified for his passport, and then barrett left, and riddell joined. They have room but will then be full

Amos Roberts
Phil Bailey
Pat Richards
Cameron Phelps
Iafeta Paleaaesina (kolpac immune)
Thomas Leulie (6 year resisent - qualifies for UK passport - immune)
Harrison Hansen (kolpac immune)
George Carmont (kolpac immune)
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
WiganStorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Bit confused by this tbh. We (Wigan) are certainly not short of good second rowers. Ian Leneghan has stated that we have signed a prop for next season (although he wouldn't name any names) and it seems a near certainty that we have signed Finch for next year.

Still if true.....are they any good??
WiganStorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

storm_rhinos wrote: They may as Piggy Riddell is coming back so that frees up one spot, straight swap plus they lost tim smith half way though...i think they are ok that respect. Lima may qualify as a Kolpac player due to Samoan heritage

They were allowed to sign Roberts in 2009 when Carmont qualified for his passport, and then barrett left, and riddell joined. They have room but will then be full

Amos Roberts
Phil Bailey
Pat Richards
Cameron Phelps
Iafeta Paleaaesina (kolpac immune)
Thomas Leulie (6 year resisent - qualifies for UK passport - immune)
Harrison Hansen (kolpac immune)
George Carmont (kolpac immune)

Looking likely that we aren't resigning Feka or Bailey  so we are definately more than ok for our overseas spots
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sad to see two great clubmen leave the Storm. They will definitely be missed. Thank you boys for everything you've done at the Storm and good luck at Wigan :)
stormfan2010
Squall
Squall

Bugger !  Gunna miss hoffy the most as he does bleed purple but im happy they didnt go to another nrl team.
I wish them good luck for the future.

joel.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

WiganStorm wrote:
Still if true.....are they any good??
Jeff Lima- prop. Was our 2007 grand final best forward by a mile

Ryan Hoffman-2nd row.  As my friend would say "I would go to war with him!"

Both good players with still a lot to offer
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

StormFront wrote: I hate seeing players go - even though I know that with out this salary cap crap that
we would have still seen several players leave.....

One positive is that they are not going to play against Storm in the NRL....Maybe a World Club Challenge Cup... hehehehehe  ;D
My thoughts exactly.

Hoffy, moreso, as he bleeds purple.

Good luck guys and thank you for being part of the Storm Family.
WiganStorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

The Mauritian wrote:
Jeff Lima- prop. Was our 2007 grand final best forward by a mile

Ryan Hoffman-2nd row.  As my friend would say "I would go to war with him!"

Both good players with still a lot to offer
Excellent, obviously only get to watch a few storm games on tv so its hard to form solid opinions on players.

Still no press release of any sort over this way although thats not surprising as IL is normally very shrewd about signings.
Although this does seem to have come out of the blue, romours were that we were signing Luke Bailey for next season

I
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Both Hoffy and Jeff will be regarded as Storm family for good.

Great that they both played their best League to date with Storm.

Purple legends !
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time