Greg Inglis to Brisbane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
thunderball
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

if inglis stays who goes ?
I aint falling for no banana in the tailpipe
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Noa Nadruku wrote:
"Another factor is Greg's parents. They have just settled in Melbourne and they actually like it there so it all points to Greg staying. My gut feel is he will stay.

"Greg was wanting to stay there all along, if the salary cap stuff never happened Greg would never have thought about leaving."

The Broncos were offered verbal assurances Inglis wanted to link with the six-time premiers, but the negotiations hinged on the Storm's blessing and were subject to NRL directives on Melbourne's salary cap position, which were finalised late last week.

It is believed Brisbane's final contract offer would have left the Storm to pick up $410,000 of his bill over the next two years, under their salary cap, a position Inglis and Melbourne club were unhappy about.
The Titans offer was more viable - valued at $550,000 next year, increasing to the full $660,000 in 2012 - meaning the Storm would pay only $110,000 under next year's cap and nothing in 2012.
Hopefully Storm Spirit and Co read that paragraph very slowly.....  :-*.
If GI comes out and says exactly that...then yes I will admit that I have over reacted.

But this is emotional stuff....it's our Tribe...and we love our Tribe. It polarises people's views and it's what we wait for...and what we love at the end of a working week after slaving our guts out. I want every player to stay...I don't want to lose any of them...but I know that is completely unrealistic.

I was confused and angry and disappointed and sad about the so called mixed messages that GI has been sending out. Maybe there was a reason for those mixed messages.....time will tell.

But there is one thing that I won't apologise for...and that is....for loving this great Rugby League Club and all that it stands for, which includes the sensational coaching staff and the wonderfully commited, dedicated and loyal players.

I hope somehow we can keep GI, Sika Manu and Dane Neilsen.

If Blairy stays then great....but I can probably live with it (sadly) if he has to part company with the Club
Last edited by Storm Spirit on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fair enough SS, I was just ribbing ya.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Noa Nadruku wrote: Fair enough SS, I was just ribbing ya.
all good    ;D  ...sometimes (all the time ??) I wear my heart on my sleeve in these matters.

Probably should learn to "keep my powder dry"
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

GI Confirmed to see out contract at melbourne,heard it less than 5 minutes ago on Triple M
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This article says that GI's parents have settled in Melbourne and love the place.

Only 2 weeks ago...the daily crapagraph (i think) reported that GI's parents were moving back to NSW or QLD.

2010 has proved just how poor the journalistic standards in this country actually are.

The entire journalist/media/newspaper profession should hang their heads in shame.
Monsoon
Monsoon

The same media now reporting he is staying, ill believe it when its officially announced.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Inglis likely to stay with Storm: Cullen

STEVE JANCETIC August 8, 2010 - 5:54PM  AAP

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen believes the Broncos are losing the battle to sign Melbourne superstar Greg Inglis, with a decision on his likely retention by the Storm expected on Monday.After weeks of to-ing and fro-ing as the Storm continue to work on getting under the $4.2 million salary cap for the 2012 NRL season, Cullen suggested that Melbourne were leaning towards holding onto the 23-year-old rather than subsidise his salary at another club.Under the rules being enforced by the NRL in the wake of the salary cap scandal that engulfed the Storm, all contracts had to be honoured by Melbourne.That meant that if Inglis had signed with the Broncos for $400,000, the Storm would have to count the extra $200,000 he was owed next season on their books next season, something new chief executive Ron Gauci is keen to avoid."It's now looking likely, I won't say highly likely, but's it's looking likely that he might stay in Melbourne," Cullen told ABC Radio on Sunday."We haven't been involved in this for a long time now because the last couple of weeks have been taken up with Melbourne's new CEO taking his place in the organisation ... it's come to the fore just this weekend."Even if Greg goes and comes to the Broncos or even the Titans, there's a matter of him still being on the cap for an amount of money and it's looking like Melbourne are saying to themselves 'if he's going to go and he's still got to be on the cap, we're better off keeping him.'"I haven't spoken to Greg himself, but I do know that's become a very strong option for Melbourne, that if they've got to carry for him for any substantial amount on the cap and lose him, they're better off keeping him on the cap and maybe losing one or two others."Whether Inglis is content to stay in the Victorian capital is another question, with his initial interest in heading to the Broncos sparked after his fiance secured a job in Brisbane.Either way, Cullen says he expects a decision on Monday."We'll do our best to tie it all up by tomorrow because it's been very frustrating for all parties including other players at the club that don't know what their future is," Cullen said.

© 2010 AAP

;-)
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/not-o ... 5902737212
The Herald Sun has information about this season's registered player contracts and, based on them, Inglis may be able stay.

The figures aren't total payments, because the Deloitte report found several players were receiving money not listed on NRL paperwork.

Details of how undeclared money was spread around are contained in the report that is the subject of inquiries by the Australian Tax Office and the Victorian Fraud Squad.

But the report revealed only seven Storm players received unregistered payments and two of those won't be at the club next year.

That could leave Storm with up to $600,000, after paying all 25 player's wages, to cover any extra payments to the five remaining players.

The sticking point could be a small six-figure shortfall needed to cover all unregistered payments, which could mean another player has to go.
Totally confused by all that ^.    Someone care to explain in layman's terms?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

jellyhead wrote: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/not-o ... 5902737212
The Herald Sun has information about this season's registered player contracts and, based on them, Inglis may be able stay.

The figures aren't total payments, because the Deloitte report found several players were receiving money not listed on NRL paperwork.

Details of how undeclared money was spread around are contained in the report that is the subject of inquiries by the Australian Tax Office and the Victorian Fraud Squad.

But the report revealed only seven Storm players received unregistered payments and two of those won't be at the club next year.

That could leave Storm with up to $600,000, after paying all 25 player's wages, to cover any extra payments to the five remaining players.

The sticking point could be a small six-figure shortfall needed to cover all unregistered payments, which could mean another player has to go.
Totally confused by all that ^.    Someone care to explain in layman's terms?
I've got no *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK*ing idea....

How can Storm have to pay unregistered payments when they weren't part of the registered contracts. That sounds like absolute CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP.

Hang on Schubert and Gallop are involved......it must be something to completely friggin screw Melbourne Storm.

On a really sad note...I think we may have an answer why Danger didn't line up last night from the same Crapagraph article...

"The sticking point could be a small six-figure shortfall needed to cover all unregistered payments, which could mean another player has to go.

Off-contract centre Dane Nielsen, who was due for a pay rise, could be the unlucky one. "

.....I feel so sorry for Danger if that is the case....this whole sorry mess might just have claimed another innocent victim.
Last edited by Storm Spirit on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Basically only 5 players who were recieving illegal payments NOT declared to the NRL this year will be in our 2011 25 man squad. Based off the HS figures the total salary for the top 25 (not including illegal payments) is about $600,000 below the cap, but those unregistered illegal payments need to be honoured (about $750,000 worth)

So basically we need to shed another player worth 150k to keep GI and stay under the cap, the article suggests nielsen might be the man shown the door.
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

1999 wrote: Basically only 5 players who were recieving illegal payments NOT declared to the NRL this year will be in our 2011 25 man squad. Based off the HS figures the total salary for the top 25 (not including illegal payments) is about $600,000 below the cap, but those unregistered illegal payments need to be honoured (about $750,000 worth)

So basically we need to shed another player worth 150k to keep GI and stay under the cap, the article suggests nielsen might be the man shown the door.

Ah thank you!  Now I get it.  :lol:  That sucks if it's Nielsen though :(
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote: Basically only 5 players who were recieving illegal payments NOT declared to the NRL this year will be in our 2011 25 man squad. Based off the HS figures the total salary for the top 25 (not including illegal payments) is about $600,000 below the cap, but those unregistered illegal payments need to be honoured (about $750,000 worth)

See...that's the part of all this that I just don't get.

if the so called overs payments weren't meant to be made (ie. weren't lawful)...then how can unlawful payments be enforced.

Shouldn't they just evaporate...the players therefore shouldn't get that money.

In effect, the NRL are saying to Melbourne Storm that they have to make illegal payments to players.
Monsoon
Monsoon

jellyhead wrote:

Ah thank you!  Now I get it.   :lol:  That sucks if it's Nielsen though :(
Yep its not fair, he's been great this year and i believe is an all round better centre then chase. TBH i wouldnt be surprised too see O'Neill partner GI in the centres if the rumours are true were keeping quinn also. Hopefully all 2011 squad details are released with the GI announcement tommorow as promised and we can start moving forward .

9/8/10 : D-DAY
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm Spirit wrote:

See...that's the part of all this that I just don't get.

if the so called overs payments weren't meant to be made (ie. weren't lawful)...then how can unlawful payments be enforced.

Shouldn't they just evaporate...the players therefore shouldn't get that money.

In effect, the NRL are saying to Melbourne Storm that they have to make illegal payments to players.
We wont have to shed any players if those illegal salaries dont become those players actual salaries for 2011. The NRL knows we cant afford to continue paying full freight under the cap legally, thus forcing us to release players or "share the talent around". Thats why they wont allow pay cuts either. Itll look bad on them after we cheated the cap so badly and still were able to keep most of the illegally assembled star-studded squad, like the dogs of 02'. Were being made an example of.