Origin: Bellamy must go

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Clancy
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I understand the cries for a scapegoat to be cut - in this case Bellamy, but surely the buck stops with the players. At club level, sure, blame the coach to a degree. These NSW players (and QLD) are supposed to be the elite of their state playing in the highest level of league (arguably) in the world. If these elite players cannot perform to a consistent high level, then don't put your hand up to play origin. I understand guys have a bad patch but there were a handful of Blues who could walk off with their heads held up (in my opinion). At this level, a coach should have to relay his game plan, give alternate options and then ring the changes on game day. The players should almost be able to coach themselves through the plays. The selectors, match commitee and supporting coaches would all have input into game plans as well.
In this case, blame the selectors (Bellamy included) and blame the players. Not chosing the best players for position and players not stepping up is more to blame than just the coach.
It's Storm season.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ice wrote: I hope he's not coaching that bunch of rabble next year because we're going to need him at the Storm next year as much as or more than we ever have. Selfish i know but with Origin being such a massive distraction for a club coach as well i'd just rather him soley concentrating on rebuliding our team next year. As much as i hate the arrogant NSW halfwit supporters and their scummy tabloid journalists i'm actually hoping they can turn this thing around and win. Clearly NOT for them, but for Bellyache because he doesn't deserve even a small amount of shit he's been copping from the *lima lima lima duck* up there.
=D> =D>
noa nandruku
Squall
Squall

No coach has ever won without talent or lesser talent. That is Bellamys predictament atm but I have no sympathy for him as I felt he should never have taken the job
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The NSW selectors (possibly including Bellamy, not sure how much say he has in selections) need to go. They don't have enough strength or faith to pick a genuine five eighth. Lyon doesn't even want to play five eighth. Gidley would probably be on the bench if I picked the team, yet he is captain. Hayne should be at full back, as for Cooper he is a very good attacking player at NRL level but isn't up to Origin level and is not a very good defender imo.

Another issue NSW have is leadership on the field. I thought if I had Gidley on the bench who would I pick as captain. The only options I came up with were Lyon (co-captain of Manly) and Kimmorley (ex-captain of Sharks). Lyon didn't want to play Origin last year and Kimmorley probably only got picked because Pearce was injured.

Whereas there are a number of players you could pick as captain in the Qld side and no one would raise an eyebrow. Lockyer, Thurston, Civoniceva plus Smith who was injured. I would even pick Thaiday as a captain ahead of anyone in NSW team.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I thing NSW will continue to try and replicate QLD structure and appoint a non NRL coach to get the advantages of objectivity and the lack of conflict with another major coaching role.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Des Hasler or lose more origins,NSW's choice
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Doesnt matter who coaches NSW, they will lose. QLD players are just too good atm, in fact they havent even been stretched over the last 3 years. If they went out and played hard for 60 mins theyd win by 50.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bah,your probably right but id rather give it a go instead of just letting them win without trying new things
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I have to laugh every time I hear Gidley is picked!