Legal action launched against NRL

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Just reported on SEN legal action has been launched against the NRL in relation to sanctions imposed on Storm.This is great news & well done to the 4 independent directors.
Last edited by mb09 on Fri May 14, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well Done directors...you have the full support of everyone who loves the Melbourne Storm - the fans, the players and the coaching staff.

=D>

This is not about whether the Storm breached the Cap.  This is about due process, and treating the club fairly and lawfully.

It is courageous for these four to go up against News Limited.  In doing so, they put themselves at risk - both financially and reputationally - however they are doing it because the Storm has been treated unfairly.

We as fans can only support them in this move - and hope whatever happens - justice will be achieved.

A note of warning:  We need to have our eyes open to the risks.  They're taking on News Limited.  We are biting the hand that feeds us.  Its not impossible to recongise that we could lose the club over this.

However, I'd rather take this risk on, and try to get back what was rightfully ours rather than accept a gutless and contrived News Ltd-owned shell of a team.

It's the ultimate riskk v reward tradeoff.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Stick it up 'em.
You had me at meat tornado.
chrismeister
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Agreed let's stick it up them they have been out to get us for years but will never break us.

Whoever is funding this should start up a fund for members & supporters to contribute whatever they can. If all 10,000 members contribute $20 then we get $200,000 which would surely help out.
cider
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Well done Directors!

Chris you beat me to it,  we need a "Fighting Fund"
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

ABC_Sport wrote:The four independent directors of Melbourne Storm have voted unanimously to commence legal proceedings to challenge the NRL decision-making process and penalties imposed on the club over the salary cap scandal.

The NRL stripped the Storm of two premierships and all competition points they accrued this season after the club owned up to salary cap breaches totalling $1.7 million over five seasons.

The Storm's independent chairman, Rob Moodie, says the penalties placed on the club are unfair.

He says the directors are angry that the NRL never gave the club the option of getting independent legal advice.

Mr Moodie says the writ was issued in the Supreme Court today and is being independently funded by supporters of the club, but he would not say which supporters.

He says the directors are seeking a fair go for the Storm's followers.

"The directors of Melbourne Storm seek that the club should be provided with a fair, impartial and transparent process to deal with these very serious issues of breaching the salary cap," he said.

"And, if granted, the club will comply with the NRL's process in a new hearing."

The directors are acting independently of the Storm's owner, News Limited.

Earlier, News Limited said it would not fund the legal action but admitted it was powerless to stop the directors taking that decision.

Tags: nrl, melbourne-3000
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Diehard_Storm wrote: A note of warning:  We need to have our eyes open to the risks.  They're taking on News Limited.  We are biting the hand that feeds us.  Its not impossible to recongise that we could lose the club over this.
I'd much rather the club go down swinging, than continue on a mere shell of what it used to be.

If there's one positive in this, it's that it will bring on an independent commission sooner, rather than later. The conflicts of interest throughout this whole scandal have mandated it, it can no longer be tippy toed around.
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I notice we are also seeking an injunction to restrain the NRL imposing the penalties.If the injunction is successful does this mean we would start playing for points again?
billythekidslater
Squall
Squall

Best.News.Ever

Take up the fight!!

Brothers(and Sisters) in Arms forever!!!!!! :D
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

best news I've heard in 3 weeks!  We are all right behind you guys!
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

mb09 wrote: I notice we are also seeking an injunction to restrain the NRL imposing the penalties.If the injunction is successful does this mean we would start playing for points again?
I suppose it does. Although it depends on whether the injunction specifically refers to the premierships, or ALL of the penalties (including the monetary fines).

Interestingly, if Storm universally win the case, the NRL will have to foot ALL the legal bills  :lol:
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'd be happy to donate money to this cause.

Not everyone would be of course - but if we do have 10,000 members - what's another $10 - $20 on game day?  That raises an additional $100 - $200k which is a massive boost.

We could sell raffle tickets (the classic dinner @ Molly's!) as people file in through the gates.  There would be no shortage of willing donors.

The main thing is we do NOT have the support of News.  This is the first time that fans have been called up to financially support the actual club - and NOT News Limited.

It's up to the fans now...and the lawyers.  And for the first time ever...I'm praying for lawyers....
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Thought I'd give my 2 cents worth haha :)

* The threat of News pulling the plug on Storm is empty when you think about it. Sure they have the power to make or break our club but to be honest I think their bluffing. News has invested over $60 mil in Storm since its inception as it looks to help stabilise and build the NRL. In saying this, if they were to pull the plug now, not only would they lose out on their investment, but worst of all, they face a legal battle with the Victorian Government who's current contract for Storm and News Ltd states that the club must play at least the next 5 years at AAMI park, helping the Government to rack up $150,000 in revenue per a home game. Therefore News would break its contract with the State Government and force another fight it doesnt want.

* Seems abit dubious that the forensic audit was due this week but  is now pushed back to June and even early July. At first it might seem like nothing and you can take it how you want to, but the fact that Deloitees is going to provide a full report to News ltd only is abit sus, the fact that the NRL, Storm or the public may not find out the full extent to which this rort went or even who was involved is something that can be questioned, especially due to the fact that News's control over the media will mean that what ever is published in papers or read out on the news will be what News Ltd allows and nothing controversial.

* With the football department now involved and backing the legal action, News can do what ever they want and sack the independent board members however they cannot sack the football department and this is a smart ploy by Rob Moodie and co. IF News is to flick the football department, then all hell would break loose and it would place the NRL in serious jeopardy for the future. This would also add fuel to the fire for the players to take strike. The club has nothing to lose and they have realised this.
Last edited by Freshy on Fri May 14, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Melbourne Storm's directors take case to Supreme Court
STATHI PAXINOS
May 14, 2010 - 3:48PM

The Melbourne Storm's four independent directors have launched legal proceedings in the Victorian Supreme Court to challenge the NRL decision-making process and the penalties imposed on the club over the salary cap scandal.

Storm chairman Rob Moodie, one of the directors, would not answer questions as to why he accepted the penalties when they were announced last month, but said the directors now feel the NRL's decision-making process was not "fair, impartial or transparent".

Moodie took part in the initial press conference last month with NRL chief executive David Gallop and News Ltd chief executive John Hartigan when the extent of the salary cap rorting was revealed and the penalties announced.

At the time, Moodie joined in the finger pointing at former chief executive Brian Waldron and said the club would accept all the penalties imposed.

But Moodie today argued the NRL did not provide the Storm with an opportunity to obtain legal advice or argue against the severity of the penalties.

Moodie said the directors wanted a hearing and the club "would abide by the outcome of any fair, impartial and transparent process at which the club is independently represented".

He said the club's fans and sponsors were driving this decision by the club's independent directors.

"So many of the players, members, the supporters, those who work at the club, the Victorian public want a fair hearing and, as directors, it's our job to fight for that fair hearing," he said.

"Over the last few weeks we've had an increase in our membership, we've had literally hundreds and hundreds of emails asking us to act on behalf of a fair go."

Moodie would not disclose the identity of those funding the appeal.

"It's actually being funded by supporters of the club. I can't go into that at the moment," he said.

Melbourne Storm were stripped of the 2007 and 2009 premierships, three minor premierships, fined $500,000 and ordered to repay $1.1 million in prize money and play this season for no competition points.

News Ltd released a statement today restating that it did not support and would not pay for the legal action and that it was waiting for "for the directors and players to be interviewed by Deloitte as part of the forensic accounting investigation".
Here News Limited goes again - continuing to suggest the independent directors are complicit in fraud!  Unbelievable.  It's a long long bow they are drawing.  The last time I checked, News Ltd had 2 of their own directors on the board, including one now who is acting CEO.  Have they interviewed them? Surely, if there were concerns with the board, wouldn't they be the first ones interviewed?

This is laughable.  Dr Rob Moodie offered his resignation to Hartigan.  Hartigan rejected it.  If he rejected it - he must have been confident Moodie played no part.  Now they are proceeding with legal action, News Ltd are now about facing and casting an extremely dubious light over their fellow directors.

Its downright scandalous and I would imagine...highly litigious.  News Limited are SCUM.  
Last edited by Diehard_Storm on Fri May 14, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I've just emailed the club asking to help:
Hi there,

I've seen on news today that the independent directors are launching legal action against the NRL.  As a Storm fan and member I am behind this 100%.

I know a lot of Storm fans will be.  Some or the articles confirmed the legal proceedings will be funded by fans with no help from News Limited.

As a member, I'd like to be able to contribute financially if possible - and suggest further that perhaps the Storm can marshall as many supporters to donate (if they wish) online or perhaps by buying raffle tickets at the game.

If there are means to do this, please let me know.  We have 10,000 members and I dare say many more at home games, and by contributing $10 or $20 a piece will go a long, long way to helping the cause.

I would not under-estimate the passion of Storm fans to take this matter to court for a 'fair go'.

Kind regards
If people wish to do same just email 'info@melbournestorm.com.au'.  Hopefully the Storm will get behind this and provide people a way to contribute if they so wish.