Storm ready for court battle to recover their premierships

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

My comments in red.....

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... -v1po.html

Storm ready for court battle to recover their premierships

BRAD WALTER
May 14, 2010

THE four independent directors on the Melbourne Storm board would prefer a mediation process to put forward their case for regaining the two premierships stripped from the club for breaching the salary cap, but have not ruled out legal action over News Ltd's conflict of interest in the issue.

The quartet, chairman Rob Moodie, Petra Fawcett, Peter Maher and Gerry Ryan, met last night without the club's two News Ltd-appointed directors, Frank Stanton and Craig Watt, to consider legal advice from leading QC Allan Myers but delayed announcing whether they would act on his recommendations.

It is believed Myers's advice is similar to the view of barrister Ivan Brewer, reported in the Herald yesterday, that there was a lack of procedural fairness in the way those investigating the breaches were also involved in setting the punishment.

Questions have been raised about the role of News Ltd chief operating officer Peter Macourt and News Ltd legal affairs manager Ian Phillip.

News Ltd is a 50 per cent stakeholder in the NRL and owns the Storm, as well as being a major shareholder in the Brisbane Broncos and part-owner of Fox Sports, which has the NRL pay-TV rights.

Macourt had a number of phone conversations with NRL chief executive David Gallop before the decision was made, while Phillip was present when Moodie, Watt and former Storm chief executive Matt Hanson confessed to the salary cap rorts at NRL headquarters on April 22.

Despite Phillip's position with News Ltd, Storm officials maintain the club did not have legal representation when they met with the NRL.

Macourt and Phillip are also two of News Ltd's three representatives on the six-man NRL partnership committee.

News Ltd's conflict of interest in the case has already been acknowledged as the reason a meeting of the NRL board was not called to endorse the decision, which was made by Gallop in consultation with senior NRL management.
This caught my eye, Gallop has said he didn’t consult with the NRL board due to conflict if interest, but now it comes to light that he did consult with two of the News Limited NRL board members – this absolutely reeks of bullshit!!! Gallop contradicts himself at every step of the way!!!

Gallop also obtained legal advice from Sydney SC John Marshall and NRL lawyer Tony O'Reilly before deciding to strip the Storm of the 2007 and 2009 premierships as well as three minor premierships, fine the club $500,000, order Melbourne to repay $1.1 million in prizemoney and play this season for no competition points.Was all this done in the 80 minutes after the meeting with the Storm, when Gallop insists the penalties were decided upon? And again, did all the punters wake up that morning and and decide for no good reason that the Storm would get all points stripped and finish with the spoon - or were they all mind readers? Unfortunately, from previous reports, Moodie wasn't a lucky punter that day and was totally unprepared for the penalties laid down, or maybe he just wasn't tipped off!!!

The decision was initially accepted by Moodie and the other Storm directors, and Gallop said court proceedings may help to uncover more about the identity of those involved in the $1.85m breach.

''The NRL rejects completely the uninformed outbursts in the media today from certain lawyers regarding the process that led to the penalties imposed on the club,'' Gallop said in a statement. "The NRL acted at all times in accordance with the rules that govern the competition and the law. The club's practices could not be any more under the spotlight and if the threat of legal proceedings is an attempt to divert attention away from that issue then it may have the opposite effect.

"There is no doubt that any proceedings that take place could well help to identify if any Storm directors were aware of the club's salary cap deception. It may also explain how that deception could have taken place without the knowledge of directors and in a way that led the board's chairman, Dr Rob Moodie, lodging statutory declarations that proved to be false.''

News Limited chairman and chief executive John Hartigan said the company would not support such a challenge. ''News recognises that the penalties are unprecedented … But, we don't believe a legal challenge to the NRL's procedures is the answer,'' he said. ''On the contrary, it could further damage the Storm.''
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Damage the Storm more? WTF?
So apart from attempting to lima lima lima duck the game with super league
they make a new club while owning a previous one

This part is the gayest,Due to the actual media company owning half the game
they decide to give us all a shitty TV Deal that is part of the cause of this whole lima lima lima duck mess
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
buymeapony
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Hi all, Long time reader first time poster, Storm fan since 99 (First game I ever seen involved Nikau and Joe Vagna squaring up at olympic park! love at first sight!)

Just wanted to share my two cents here, I work the graveyard shift and have spent the best part of my shift so far reading about how we're cheats and how a case wont work yadda yadda yadda.

Then I seen this bad boy:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... -v1pp.html

Seems we might have a few guys on the board who'd take the reigns if News pull out.

all this going on has me a little scared, but excited for what could potentially happen!

StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

buymeapony; Thanks for the link....

Whilst I found the article very interesting ...
Its more about speculation and not good journalism..

I am pleased to know that there are at least 2 people at the top
that appear to have an understanding and background that
can understand a supporters feelings...

I am not sure that I agree with a court case .... not that I think
the NRL is right... I can just see that it will be a long drawn out
case, costing lots of money, with lots of mud slinging and
could maybe do more harm than good to the Storm name.

This fiasco has brought the passion out in the supporters and
through out Victoria - it has shown the rest of the NRL what a
great group we have here and what we have achieved.

Yes there will always be knockers and people that call us cheats
no matter what the outcome is from any investigation.....

So my fear is that going forward with a court case could
spell the end of Storm forever, something I never want to see.
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

buymeapony wrote: Hi all, Long time reader first time poster, Storm fan since 99 (First game I ever seen involved Nikau and Joe Vagna squaring up at olympic park! love at first sight!) 
Big T would have given him a towelling!  :laugh:
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

buymeapony wrote: Hi all, Long time reader first time poster, Storm fan since 99 (First game I ever seen involved Nikau and Joe Vagna squaring up at olympic park! love at first sight!)

Just wanted to share my two cents here, I work the graveyard shift and have spent the best part of my shift so far reading about how we're cheats and how a case wont work yadda yadda yadda.

Then I seen this bad boy:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... -v1pp.html

Seems we might have a few guys on the board who'd take the reigns if News pull out.

all this going on has me a little scared, but excited for what could potentially happen!

It is funny you should mention Nikau and Vagana squaring off. I have been a rugby league fan since the mid-1980s. I moved from country Victoria to Melbourne in 1999 and that was the first Storm game I went to.  I tricked my girlfriend (now wife) into going to the game. She didn't want to go, typical at that stage, AFL fan response about rugby league being a stupid game.

Anyway I got her to the game and with the combination of the Nikau and Vagana stoush, the big hits and Storm man on his motor bike she loved it. That was in August 1999, if I remember rightly, and we got a 3 game membership (remember those) in 2000 and upgraded to a full membership in 2001 or 2002.