2011 line-up

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

Alright time for opinions on the make up of squad next year , who stays? who goes? who gets promoted? assuming were 1.3 million over as reported and cant take pay cuts.

First things first our off contract list -

Aiden Tolman, Brett Finch, Dane Nielsen, Luke MacDougall, Ryan Tandy, Hep Cahill, Louis Fanene, Willie Isa, Rory Kostjasyn, Sinbad Kali, Luke Kelly, Bryan Norrie, Billy Rogers, Justin O'Neill, James Woolford.

Now if we cut that entire list and replace them with players on the minimum wage of 55k ive worked out we will cut about 400k off the 1.3 million, but the irony is most of them are minimum wage players.

I'd keep nielsen and tandy on maybe 100k with rogers, o'neill, kelly, kali and norrie on the minimum wage, so far we've cut finch tolman macdougall cahill fanene isa kostjasyn woolford and will replace them with NYC and NSW CUP players and cut the total amount over the cap to about 1 million.

Now the contracted players id release with values including promised and enforced 3rd party agreements -

White 300k
Hoffman 325k
Lowrie 200k
Lima 200k
Quinn 250k

Now if those lot are replaced by minimum wage players we will be below the cap, and we would have a top 25 something like this -

1. Slater
2. Duffie
3. Stanley
4. Inglis
5. Nielsen
6. Whiddop/Chisholm
7. Cronk
8. Norrie
9. Smith (c)
10.Tandy
11. Manu
12. Proctor
13. Blair

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Kite
16. Makimare
17. Bromwich  

18. Whiddop/Chisholm
19. Vea
20. Rogers
21. Kelly 
22. O'neill
23. Rochow
24. Kali
25. K Bromwich

Now i know what your thinking.. too much youth but we still have experiene in alot of key positions, whilst players like nielsen manu tandy etc will need to start shouldering more responsibility, IMHO im happy with this squad and it excites me to see these young talented players who we all know have the skills tested against the big boys. I guess most importantly we have all 6 test player in our 13 (Slater, Inglis, Cronk, Smith, Blair, Manu)  which is our real strength, but i really believe the other players named around them can step up.

Thoughts?
Last edited by 1999 on Wed May 12, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think that's probably close to what we'll see next year - and it's really not that different to the team we have now.  Looks good to me.

I do hope we can somehow keep Tolman, though - however, we might have to give up too much to keep him.
You had me at meat tornado.
Monsoon
Monsoon

agreed, i would also love to keep tolman, but i fear we would lose someone like sika to make it happen.
noa nandruku
Squall
Squall

No way would I keep Tolman over Sika, Tolman at his best is a very good player, Sika is an injury free run away from being great.

I'll come back to this thread once I know where we're at.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

News Ltd,(aka the NRL) have flagged quite clearly that they do NOT intend to leave this core group at the club
Slater, Inglis, Cronk, Smith

I see no point in gutting our playing roster & then asking those remaining to work for peanuts when you already know that the deal has been done by men in suits to break up the NRL's most successful core unit.

In our entire short history player have left & others have stepped in to fill the void.
This time the club is NOT being given that option.

Stanton screwed the club last time & he'll screw it again this time.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
lionstorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Hi Bai Stand, Only a newcomer to the forum so cut me some slack. Long Time reader, Short term Poster.

As hard it is to say & not going on form etc - I think its very hard to make predictions for 11' just yet.

If it comes to the crunch & The club needs to make tough decision, I think the people on the chopping block should be guys who have been signed to the club, not through the ranks. (I dont want to get rid of anybody)

Hinchcliffe, Lowrie, Norrie, Stanley, Kite, Finch, Nielsen & too an extent White, Quinn, Lima etc need to be offered other places before the guys like Proctor, Duffie, Bromwich, Manu, Blair, GI, Tolman etc...

No one deserves to leave this amazing club & im sure no one will be giving up their spots, offering to leave.

Whatever stance the club takes & whichever path it takes, we need to support & make sure we get behind the players chosen to play.

At the end of the day - I would rather be running last playing for points with a bunch of kids, than a team of superstars who are running last - out of the running for points.

Storm Forever
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thought Id have a crack before the 2011 squad is basically confirmed

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie - send a text to Cooper Cronk, remind him your a high-jumper
3. Greg Inglis
4. Chase Stanley
5. Justin O'Neill

6. Gareth Widdop - my 2 concerns i) his vision but does have a very nice passing game  ii) his balls i.e. needs to be prepared to over-call Cooper Cronk. We are at our worst when Cooper has too many touches.
7. Cooper Cronk (Luke Kelly)

8. Bryan Norrie
9. Cam Smith
10. Sika Manu - Sione Kite
11. Todd Lowrie
12. Kev Proctor
13. Billy Rogers

14. Rory K - Ryan H
15. Jesse Bromwich
16. Sione Kite - Atalea Vaea
17. Atalea Vaea - ? maybe Jake Marketo
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Noa Nadruku wrote:

Couldn't have put it better myself.  I scream at the TV saying put it up for Duffie(just like Izzy).  What's wrong with Cronk has he forgotten how to play or has the coach forgotten how to coach.  I have probably seen 3 high kicks for Duffie all season.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Mauritian wrote:
Noa Nadruku wrote:

Couldn't have put it better myself.  I scream at the TV saying put it up for Duffie(just like Izzy).  What's wrong with Cronk has he forgotten how to play or has the coach forgotten how to coach.  I have probably seen 3 high kicks for Duffie all season.
I think its a deliberate ploy by Craig. Why expose our secret weapon now, when tries and wins doesnt mean anything. If Duffie's leap is exposed now, come Round 1 next year, teams will have plans in place to combat Duffie under the high ball. Pretty much like they have with Izzy of late. Besides, most people dont know that Duffie has a 97cm vertical leap.  ;-)
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

they do now..... :'(
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Did you guys see this in today's paper?

Storm's Cap by the numbers (based on 2010 wages)

* $2.8 million – Storm's estimated spend for 2011 on the 17 players from the top 25 who are set to remain, including Greg Inglis.
    * $800K – The bill for the final eight players in the top tier, likely to be Bryan Norrie, Gareth Widdop, Todd Lowrie, Jesse Bromwich, Rory Kostjasyn and some under 20's.
    * $3.6 million – Storm's total spend on it's top 25 for 2011.
    * $4.2 million – The 2011 NRL salary cap, with a $100K increase and $300K marquee player allowance.
    * $600K – The difference between Storm's estimated spend and the salary cap, which could be used to cover any payments previously unregistered with the NRL.
    * $1,123,600 – Wages Storm will not have to pay in 2011 to players already confirmed as leaving.
estormboy
Squall
Squall

jellyhead wrote: Did you guys see this in today's paper?

* $2.8 million – Storm's estimated spend for 2011 on the 17 players from the top 25 who are set to remain, including Greg Inglis.
    * $800K – The bill for the final eight players in the top tier, likely to be Bryan Norrie, Gareth Widdop, Todd Lowrie, Jesse Bromwich, Rory Kostjasyn and some under 20's.
    * $4.2 million – The 2011 NRL salary cap, with a $100K increase and $300K marquee player allowance.
    * $600K – The difference between Storm's estimated spend and the salary cap, which could be used to cover any payments previously unregistered with the NRL.
    * $1,123,600 – Wages Storm will not have to pay in 2011 to players already confirmed as leaving.

Source please Jellyhead :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

estormboy wrote:
jellyhead wrote: Did you guys see this in today's paper?

Source please Jellyhead :)
Think it was the Feral Sun
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yep it was the Herald Sun.  Not available online anywhere that I could find.
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

My 2011 team is very close to yours noa with a few changes

1.billy slater
2.justin o'neill
3.chase stanley
4.dane nielsen
5.matt duffie
6.garreth widdop/ rory kostjacyn
7.cooper cronk
8.bryan norrie
9.cam smith
10.sika manu
11.anthony quinn  (gotta use him somewhere with the money he is on and i like ouir backline already so)
12.adam blair
13.kevin proctor

14.sione kite
15.todd lowrie
16.jesse bromwich / atalea vea
17.ryan hinchcliffe

and there is still more talent to come GUARANTEED!!!!!!!!!!  

has the brett white signing to canberra been confirmed or are we still playing guessing games?
Last edited by storma01 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN! WE'LL BLOW THE OTHERS OFF THE GROUND, WE ARE THE STORM AND WERE NUMBER "1"
"99" "07" "09" :-)