Storm Team want to stay together

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

from http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/we-wi ... 5857632731

We will take pay cuts to stay here: Storm players

DEFIANT Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith yesterday declared the club's players would do whatever it takes to stay together - including pay cuts - and not let the salary-cap scandal cripple his club.

Still coming to terms with the magnitude of the penalties doled out by the NRL on Thursday, an emotionally drained Smith last night told the Herald Sun he would implore the group to fight through the dramas together.

As Storm chairman Rob Moodie conceded the playing list would take "huge hits" to get back under the cap, Smith said the players would try to make it happen without losing anyone.

"There is no way we are going to ask a player or several players to leave so we can be within the salary cap," Smith said yesterday.

"We are a team, not a group of individuals that turn up on a weekend and play football. We're together in everything we do and if we have to be under the salary cap we will do it together.

"I believe everyone would be willing to sacrifice a bit of money to stay together, and not let this be the end of what we have worked so hard for.

"We are a strong group, and we'll find a way to keep going. We're not going to let this cripple us."

However, the skipper conceded that pushing on this season, beyond Sunday's game against the New Zealand Warriors, would not be easy.

"All we can do now is turn up to training, turn up on Sunday, then after that sit down together and talk about what we do for the rest of the season," Smith said.

"People can say play for your pride and all that but it's Round 7, we have to turn up for another 20 weeks and give everything we can really for nothing.

"We will probably sit down and have an open discussion about it. That's how we like to do things. It's not about what one person thinks. We all sit down and say "what we are thinking boys?", and decide together what is the best thing to do."

But he said the carrot remained for future years and that would help drive them.

"This is a huge kick in the guts and a huge setback, but come next year, we're in the race again and that's what we need to look forward to," Smith said.

"I know it's miles down the track but we were willing to work hard for eight or nine years most of us, so I can't see why another 12 months is going to hurt us."

Smith also defended his team's achievements, despite the fact they would be forever tainted.

"People have labelled us cheats and frauds but we won those premierships through hard work and playing for each other and that's what we'll continue to do," Smith said.

Winding back the clock to Thursday afternoon when he and the players were delivered the news, Smith said he felt sick.

"The look on the (coach Craig Bellamy's) face, I have never seen him like that before. You just knew something beyond terrible had happened. Something not even in your worst nightmares," he said.

" Everything you had worked for your whole life had been taken from you. There was nothing we could say. We were just gutted and totally shocked.

"There's just a feeling of sickness in my stomach about the whole thing."

The players dispersed, and were told to stay "as positive as possible".

"Which is hard to do when you have been told you have to turn up every day for the rest of the year for no reward, and by the way we are taking the things that you have worked for hard for away," he said.

But at a gathering yesterday he sensed the resolve to move on. "We are committed to making this place what it should be, what it is known for, and that is a great club," he said.

Smith could not talk about the specifics of the rorting, but was confident the players had no idea what was going on.

"Not that I'm aware of," he said.

The club is expected to reveal more specific details of what has happened within the next 24 hours.
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I thought the rules were changed after the Bulldogs cap breach so that players could not elect to take pay cuts to get below the cap?

any further info?
Sandi_Murray
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

All i can see is cam with the saddest look on his face tears welling. That article brought tears to my eyes.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

All Ive heard Gallp really say is I dont care how they get down to the right level, they just have to get there. Dont know leagally how you can dictate how much some-one can sacrifice there pay. I just hope its for one year only as we do have to plan for the future and as long as players like Duffie, O'Neill, Kite and Bromwich and Widdop arent made to wait another year.

They'll be ready in 2011 to

Thor19
Squall
Squall

Why not breach or terminate the contracts and re-sign? The NRL can't really stop that!
There is only one Melbourne Storm
And in Melbourne they will stay
.....forever.
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... utostart=1
He also said the letters were written in such a way that players reading them could be forgiven for not thinking they were doing anything illegal.
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

singlemalt wrote: I thought the rules were changed after the Bulldogs cap breach so that players could not elect to take pay cuts to get below the cap?

any further info?
singlemalt wrote: I thought the rules were changed after the Bulldogs cap breach so that players could not elect to take pay cuts to get below the cap?

any further info?

That's the impression I was under, but I think it depends on how exactly the salary cap was breached. The bottom line is - clubs have to play players the amount signed for in their registered contracts.
[quote="Buzz"]
I really have to say that the only way that Boofa played at that kick from Orford was if he cracked a fat.
[/quote]

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/KimmorleyKiller/TheT
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

What Cam said is something I have been hoping and praying for.
Its bringing tears in my eyes.
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

CooperCronk wrote: What Cam said is something I have been hoping and praying for.
Its bringing tears in my eyes.
Yeah - if we feel bad the team must feel so much worse - and imagine the barrages of taunts they are going to receive now - it will make the past look like nothing when they travel North.

I can accept people saying the Storm administration cheated, but as far as I'm concerned the players are innocent. One of the 'illegal' contracts in the article above the player wanted it written in that the payments were above board and included in the cap - that shows me that Waldren's deception was not only to the NRL, but to the players as well.
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I can't believe the NRL has made a backflip and not let players take pay cuts!!!! Why can't they take pay cuts if they wanted to??
Great article on Cameron. I will always support the boys and the team.

"We are a strong group, and we'll find a way to keep going. We're not going to let this cripple us."
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

On the NRL site there is an article with all the resons they did what they did.  But everyone in this article is for this year.  I do not know if the players will be allowed to take pay cuts for next year and stay if the still have a current contract.
Storm cat
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

The things is can you even fire them without the money counting in next years cap?

How many players would have get out clauses in their contract? How hard would it be to activate it and re-sign if that was what they wanted to do.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

From what Gallop said he could not envisage them taking pay cuts THIS YEAR to allow them to pay. i dont recall saying about anything else so far. Also poses the question, that as clubs sign stars for 2-5 years who would have the $ to sigh one of ours as they would not have budgetted for them coming onto the market. Ok so you cut (lets say GI for example ) ...he cant sign for another club or doesnt want to for pittance...so the NRL would allow one of the top internationals to be lost just to the game  spite the storm. Thats nuts....

Any individual with a contract will have a escape clause (e.g. early releases), just delete the contract and resign.

If i were the team i would retiire from rep footy and so the club can save the 100-200k a year in rep payments and see how that screws those in charge - half the aussie team suddenly leave.
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Tempest
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

storm_rhinos wrote: If i were the team i would retiire from rep footy and so the club can save the 100-200k a year in rep payments and see how that screws those in charge - half the aussie team suddenly leave.
LMAO! Oh, what a beautiful idea!