Crowd for Friday

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... -rbjn.html

"''It is a very big day in Melbourne and we are just grateful to be allowed to play on Good Friday,'' Hanson said. ''The Good Friday appeal is produced out of Etihad Stadium and there are going to be 20,000 people in the precinct so it is great that so many people are going to be exposed to rugby league.''

With the game not competing against live television, officials are hopeful of a crowd of up to 40,000."

Does anyone think we will get close to 40,000..??  I would be happy with anything over 25,000
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

id b happy with 12-15 but i think thats pushing it. there has been no tv adverts for the game, nearly everyone ive spoken to doesnt even no its happening and with the storm admin not being able to organise a root at a brothel it wont b a good turn out
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's a tough one to predict i reckon. I'll say 25k which i'd be happy with and like you say anything over would be great.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Don't under-estimate the awareness of the sporting public in Melbourne.  Just because you dont advertise things, doesnt mean you'll pull a poor crowd.  Awareness of the Storm by people who've been to previous games or watch them on TV would still be high.  Its not like the majority of the 40k they hope to get will be first time converts. 

As a minimum we'll pull 25k to this game.  I think the figure may be around 30k.  Storm are being a little overly optimistic if they think 40k.  But hey, they out of anyone should know, right?

People are right though about the administration - it is abysmal and will not only cost them attendance but memberships as well.

The fact that as I sit here, having taken membership out on the first day, still have not received a single thing, nor received tickets to Friday's game is a debacle of the highest order.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I always think the club miss an opportunity with St George games.  I know that of late, Manly and the Broncos became rivals, but for those of us who have been around from the early days... St George is the one team I want to beat every year! 
The opportunity to promote this as a rival clash is definitely there.

The crowd will be boosted a bit too I reckon... I have a feeling there will be quite a large Stain in the crowd
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think between 25,000 to 30,000 is realistic.  40,000 would be amazing but I highly doubt it will happen.  Although, that said - with no other sport on that day, plenty of people out and about in the city and free GA admission for kids with a paying adult might push it into the 30s.  I'm hoping the Dragons fans travel down - their constant singing and chanting can be irritating but it creates a fantastic atmosphere.
You had me at meat tornado.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think some people put too much emphasis on thinking if they don't see it advertised on tv then it's not being promoted enough. Of course it'd be good to see some ads but there's other effective ways of getting the message out there. In the past week or so i've seen the 1/4 page bright purple advertisement for the game in the HS sports section and IMO that's the best place you could possibly place it.

I mean it's the core market they're looking for and ones most likely to attend, especially with no AFL game on the day and given the HS has an average readership of 1.3 million people a day you can't say it's hardly being advertised. Sure, every one of those people wouldn't read the sports section but even if it were "only" half that's over 600K people a day becoming aware of the game. I know that won't make them instantly go, you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink and all that though at least they're still aware of the game. I'll be very very surprised if there aren't over 20K there and as i mentioned i think it'll be closer to 25k
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

I can tell you one thing - the club will not get a huge walk-up crowd unless they change the pricing!
No student concession, WTF is that all about??  The club are saying it's Etihads decision - codswallop!!  :x 
Even Adult general admission prices at Etihad for AFL games are only $23.75 but our game is charging $32!  AFL games allow 2010 full-time student concessions but Storm are not!  So for a full-time student to attend our game it'll cost them double from what they'd normally pay.

Don't let them tell you it's because of Etihad - that's crap. 

I already have membership but my daughter and her friends who were going to attend now can't bloody afford it - this is bullshite asshole!!!!!  :x
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was surprised with the pricing - seeing as it's 8 bucks more than a GA ticket for the new stadium, where the views WILL be so much better than the craphole that is Etihad...
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Was talking to someone today who said he'd be going with his mates on Friday.
Where you sitting ?
We'll be getting GA tickets
You know they're $32.65 ? for this game
Then we'll be watching it in a pub somewhere

How big will this crowd be again  ???
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bourbon Rat wrote: Was talking to someone today who said he'd be going with his mates on Friday.
Where you sitting ?
We'll be getting GA tickets
You know they're $32.65 ? for this game
Then we'll be watching it in a pub somewhere

How big will this crowd be again  ???
NOT AS BIG AS THIS FONT
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Tigger wrote: I can tell you one thing - the club will not get a huge walk-up crowd unless they change the pricing!
No student concession, WTF is that all about??  The club are saying it's Etihads decision - codswallop!!  :x 
Even Adult general admission prices at Etihad for AFL games are only $23.75 but our game is charging $32!  AFL games allow 2010 full-time student concessions but Storm are not!  So for a full-time student to attend our game it'll cost them double from what they'd normally pay.

I already have membership but my daughter and her friends who were going to attend now can't bloody afford it - this is bullshite asshole!!!!!  :x
Its too late to change the prices now.

I agree with you that it may cost the Storm a lot of walk-ups to the game as the tickets are quite expensive.
But it wouldn't surprise me if it was Collo's decision on those prices, with throwing in the deal for a free entry for a child u/15 accompanied by an adult GA ticket.

You just have to look at the different deals he did with the afl clubs who play there.
And look at the prices for entry for the recent SoccerRoo friendly, which kept the crowd down to 20,000 odd.

I think we'll probably get around 21,000 to the game and that should be a good crowd, considering the price of entry, Good Friday where a lot of people who are religious won't attend and people going away for the long weekend, etc.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Ice wrote: I think some people put too much emphasis on thinking if they don't see it advertised on tv then it's not being promoted enough. Of course it'd be good to see some ads but there's other effective ways of getting the message out there. In the past week or so i've seen the 1/4 page bright purple advertisement for the game in the HS sports section and IMO that's the best place you could possibly place it.
Agreed. For my own sake I already know the game is on and I've been too busy so I haven't kept an eye out for any advertising. Although on the weekend my wife, who isn't really interested in sport, told me that under 15's were getting in for free so it'll be busy on Friday. I already knew about this but my point is that the info is out there for people to see.

On crowd size, I'd expect between 25k and 30k.
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Tigger wrote: I can tell you one thing - the club will not get a huge walk-up crowd unless they change the pricing!

Yeah dont blame Crapihad, just like they wont let any world cup games be played at their crapihad stadium in 2012 or whenever it is
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote: id b happy with 12-15 but i think thats pushing it. there has been no tv adverts for the game, nearly everyone ive spoken to doesnt even no its happening and with the storm admin not being able to organise a root at a brothel it wont b a good turn out

Well you were close Nacho  :lol: It was never ever going to get such a small amount. Great crowd.