Dallas Going?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Looking more and more like it after reading this ,

Especially to hear Cam talk about it the way he is,

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 22,00.html

He will be missed,

But as much as he is a loved and respected player, he is replaceable, and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

If you cut the emotion out, probably  a wise club move if we are battling with the salary club
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think Dallas is the heart of the team and as is going to be hard to replace.. And if we are letting him go to keep Anderson that will be disappointing, Lima would be a lost but would still rather have Dallas. And this must be why we are trying to sign Lowrie.
Last edited by Fizer on Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Interesting commentss by Cam, youd almost have to think Dal is leaving . As for replacing him, we'll be fine, we've been through this so many times its not funny and you know what we've survived and thrived.

And I dont think we're losing him to keep Anderson as you can be sure after next year Anderson will be gone as well.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

If he wants to go overseas a make some money for a couple of years.  Good on him, he is 28 and needs to think about the future.  As long as we are not telling him to leave or he is leaving to play with other NRL club.  We will miss him and he will be hard to replace.  But if he does not play next year, we have not said good bye to him.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah for sure...if DJ wants to cash in on SL....so be it. He has been a rock for Storm but realistically his body would be buggered by now and next year he turns 29 and will be looking for a 2 - 3 contract to see him out.

A mutual separation now could be in the interests of both parties.

And...as for all these young props being brought in (plus our own U20 boys)...Anderson will undoubtedly struggle for a spot in 12 months
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mr Soia
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

There goes 50% of my attention and viewing if that be the case.
Luke aka the original Stormboy of [b]Sydney Stormtroopers[/b].
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

WOW......    ???
WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN! WE'LL BLOW THE OTHERS OFF THE GROUND, WE ARE THE STORM AND WERE NUMBER "1"
"99" "07" "09" :-)
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Grab the Cash DJ.

I reckon that he'll well over double what he is getting at the moment.
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

ya.. be sad to see him go.  :'(
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

DJ leaving would sure mean the rest of the boys would have to scramble in defence.  We seem to leak points badly whenever DJ is off the field.  He will be missed, and painfully so, if he does move on.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Article with responses from the club.
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/breaking-ne ... -h0sp.html
Melbourne are likely to grant Dallas Johnson a release to join French league club Catalans next year, however there has so far been no request from the workhorse lock.

The Queensland Origin forward, who was a integral member of Melbourne's recent NRL premiership success, has been linked to the French Super League club, coached by former Maroons and Brisbane skipper Kevin Walters.

Catalans is reportedly targeting Johnson to replace Jason Ryles, who will join Sydney Roosters next year.

Axed Cronulla star Greg Bird, as well as Steve Bell, Dane Carlaw and Jason Croker are among ex-NRL players at the club.

Johnson has another two years on his Melbourne contract, but has an out-clause that enables him to take up a Super League offer.

Sources have confirmed he is set to take up a long-term deal, however the Storm said they hadn't heard from Johnson, who is holidaying in Paris.

"We've had no official approach from either Dallas or his management," Storm football operations manager Frank Ponissi said.

"He's got a strong ambition to play overseas and we've got a basic agreement that if he ever gets an opportunity to play and he seeks release we would give it strong consideration."

Ponissi said the departure of 156-gamer Johnson, who typically leads the tackle count each month, would leave a "massive hole".

It would also ease some of the escalating salary cap pressure.

"Given his service to the club we would give it strong consideration, without a shadow of a doubt, given who he is and what he's done for the club."

Johnson's manager George Mimis said any talk he had signed with the Dragons was premature.

"There has been interest from overseas, we're not trying to hide that but to suggest that a deal is imminent is way too premature."

Meanwhile, the Storm have finalised coaching staff for 2010 with Brad Arthur promoted to an NRL assistant coach role and former Australian international Dean Pay to take Arthur's position as under-20s coach.
gothestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

mrpc wrote: DJ leaving would sure mean the rest of the boys would have to scramble in defence.  We seem to leak points badly whenever DJ is off the field.  He will be missed, and painfully so, if he does move on.
Totally agree. I have lost count of the number of times I have watched games and said to myself "Who the hell was that who got across to make that great tackle. And sure enough everytme it is Johnson.

Our defence will suffer badly and we will just be a good defensive team from now on, not a great one.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Sounds like the offer has been made to him and the club will consider a release if he asks.

Love him to stay, but if he thinks it's too good an opportunity to miss then he should grab it with both hands.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

How ironic .
Melbourne are likely to grant Dallas Johnson a release to join French league club Catalans next year
former Australian international Dean Pay to take Arthur's position as under-20s coach.
Dean was an 'assistant coach' at the Dragons wasn't he ?
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well if DJ has to go then I'll be disappointed, but I'll live with the decision better if he's playing overseas making the kind of  dollars he deserves.

It'll be a big loss to Queensland too, but that just makes it more certain NSW will take the origin in 2010