Greg Inglis - update on his court case

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormfan
Squall
Squall

This was published on the Herald Sun site.

Melbourne Storm rugby league star Greg Inglis to fight charges he assaulted his former girlfriend

MELBOURNE Storm rugby league star Greg Inglis will fight charges that he assaulted his former girlfriend.

Just days after celebrating Storm’s 2009 NRL premiership victory, Inglis appeared today in Sunshine Magistrates' Court on charges of unlawful assault and recklessly causing injury.

The court heard the charges were going ahead and that self-defence would be an issue.

There will be two witnesses – Inglis’s former partner Sally Robinson and police.

Inglis will face a contested hearing next April.

Magistrate Noreen Toohey continued his bail, which does not preventing him from touring with the Australian rugby league team overseas.

The charges relate to an incident at Inglis’ Altona Meadows house in August.
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Christ the wheels of "justice" move slow. :(
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Not that this adds much:

ACB website wrote:Melbourne Storm star Greg Inglis has announced he will contest charges that he assaulted his girlfriend.

Surrounded by club officials, Inglis appeared in Sunshine Magistrates Court today, where an April hearing date was set.

He will remain on bail until that time.

Police will call two witnesses in their prosecution of Inglis, the court heard.

It is alleged Inglis assaulted girlfriend Sally Robinson on August 9, and he is charged with unlawful assault and recklessly causing injury.

His lawyers say self-defence is an issue in the case, not because Inglis was defending himself, but because he was trying to stop his girlfriend from hurting herself.

Inglis is expected to join the Australian team for its tour of England and France next week.

Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said the hulking back would now concentrate on playing for Australia.

"Greg will head back to Sydney tomorrow and continue with preparations to travel with the Kangaroos on the weekend," he said.

"This is the only comment on the matter. It is before the courts. So we will just let the matter unfold."

Inglis left the court without speaking to reporters
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

And this:
Inglis 'protecting not assaulting'

The bit which concerns me is:
After briefly hearing the case today, Magistrate Noreen Toohey urged lawyers for Inglis to have further discussions with police.
"The parties returned about an hour later and formally announced a settlement could not be reached and the matter would be contested.

Being pretty familiar with police procedure (one way and another  :-$ ) this is typical of a case where the police don't have a great deal of evidence or a key witness has given conflicting stories and they are not confident of a conviction, so want the defendant to plead to a lesser charge.

Given the general attitude of Victoria Police to these matters and given everything I have seen and heard in the media (and outside it); this has "high profile scalp" written all over it.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

TC wrote: Given the general attitude of Victoria Police to these matters and given everything I have seen and heard in the media (and outside it); this has "high profile scalp" written all over it.
My substantially less experience made me think "Gold Digger" or "Professional Victim".  I think I prefer your supposition better.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Also interesting that with the weight of evidence that Sally was an EX by some length of time that we once more have the media throwing up the "assaulted his girlfriend" line.
I guess it sells more fish n chip wrappers  :roll:

It sounds like the Magistrate was looking for a way to avoid wasting time in a court that is already overloaded with more serious cases,but as mentioned a High Profile Scalp is always good for your promotion prospects.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Taliesin wrote: It sounds like the Magistrate was looking for a way to avoid wasting time in a court that is already overloaded with more serious cases,but as mentioned a High Profile Scalp is always good for your promotion prospects.
Lol, I said the exact same thing to Mrs Noa. Judge was giving the police a way out and not to watse taxpayers money imo.
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Is evidence alive, biological, does it grow, take on a life of its own. Maybe with summer approaching it will start producing more.
Surely what info there is by now is all there is?

How long does this have to go on for.

Theres either a case to answer or there isnt. Why waste so much time for everyone.

From the daily telegragh - Ms Robinson, who was with Inglis at the Storm's end-of-season awards last week and was reportedly his guest at the NRL grand final, was not in court for today's hearing.

I dont know what happened like everybody, but please lets get a decision.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Isaw them together at the storm awards and when i saw them i thought it was a new girl till somone said it was sally and well all i can say is they seem to be very lovey dovey pretty much all over each other he was touching her hair and she was hold his hand laughing at everythiing he said and i was only close to him for about 5 minutes while i waited with a friend to get a photo so if they are not ment to be seeing eachother then im a little confused
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP