Player of the year 2009

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
09_cameron_smith
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

just wondering what your thoughts are on who should be player of the year. I was also wondering if anyone knows who selects him? is it the coach/players/board??

would be hard to go past billy slater or cooper cronk... although billy did have a bit of a dud patch just after SOO if i remember correctly but more than made up for it through the finals series. Cooper was solid as usual.

GI had his most consistent season to date imo. Too bad about the off field stuff though... but i reckon he's going to have a gun year in 2010. He has matured and doesnt really linger on the field anymore... is more involved than he ever was.. especially in defence.

I reckon it would be wonderful if someone like Aiden Tolman won it... played every game this year, and turned up for every one.
watch out barret you poof
scott hill is not behind you in that way.
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Won't be Billy, he was fairly ordinary for a bit of the season. Greg's form also dropped a fair bit for alot of the season. Though these two coming good at the end made us pretty much made us unstoppable.

Blair for me, has improved out of sight this season. Always thought he was really good but now i think he is consistantly really good. 
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Blair and White have impressed, Hoffy has been steadily improving, Coops and Cam are always reliable, but for player of the year my money has to be on one of 2 players

Turner .... solid, dependable tries his heart out ... week in, week out

Dallas.... There is no tougher man in the NRL, or any code for that matter ... he does nothing spectacular, but is always in 100%, even when he can't remember it.
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Dallas Johnson.  100%.  

When he's on the field, our attack gets to fire and our defence is almost impenetrable.  When he is yanked off or is otherwise missing, we are just an ordinary footy team with our share of marquee players.

Edit: As singlemalt said, he's a fantastic contributor to the team even when he is knocked around and can't remember it :-)
Last edited by mrpc on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

mrpc wrote: Dallas Johnson.  100%.  

When he's on the field, our attack gets to fire and our defence is almost impenetrable.  When he is yanked off or is otherwise missing, we are just an ordinary footy team with our share of marquee players.
The only time he looked out of place this year was that 20 minutes or so when he filled in for Cam at No.9 ... he's much more of a first receiver in attack than a dummy half.
gothestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Chambers. Hands down.
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Has'nt been a real standout like in previous seasons,

The reason we won the priemership IMO, everyone got into good form at the right time of year,

But it has'nt been the case all year ,

Ill pick Cam, because he never seems to have a bad game, is always a 7 out of 10 every week.

But then again, the games early in the season at five eigtht may cost him, he prob did'nt get any votes for those.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think it will come down to Dallas and Zap, with Dallas winning.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

gothestorm wrote: Chambers. Hands down.
He'll finish 3rd  ;-).
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Finch! The man has been sensational.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't be surprised if Adam Blair is right up there - he was sensational in the front row for the first 6 or so rounds, and then his last 4 or 5 in the back row were awesome too. 
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Billy got Player of the Year for the second time running!  :D
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tigger wrote: Billy got Player of the Year for the second time running!  :D
Congrats to Billy.

Still a bit surprising though, i really didn't think he was that great early in the season. I guess that great form at the end of the season got him over the line

Though Blair was good all season, oh well next year Adam!
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Good to see Billy get it.. The Kid has been dam good.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently Sika was close to the lead before he went down. Shows how good he was going, he missed the 1st 7 rounds.

BTW
While Watmough is not part of the Storm's long-term plans, the club is close to extending the contract of New Zealand international Sika Manu and will hold talks with Eels lock Todd Lowrie next week
=D>

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html