Improving Attack

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
endo
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Sometimes an outsiders view can be helpful in assisting coaches in "fixing" or improving problems, or even giving them a few new idea.

Only an arrogant twat would say that no one else but a coach could come up with "fixes".. Rather then baging the Storm for their "loss of way" in attack, how about a few good ideas, plays or suggestions..

What I am proposing is a thread, that hopefully someone at the club will notice, and maybe even the great man himself will have a gander at and maybe think "well hell, maybe I'll give that a go"

So post away, and I'll start.

One thing we are lack a little is the building of attacking pressure. Maybe I've just forgotten examples, but to me Storm are not getting enough repeat sets of six when in attack. (Yes i know last week at the start was pretty good)

Id like to see a bit more of just grubbering it in to the in goal area if nothings doing attack wise. Get the ball back and give it another shot. Build pressure in attack like we do in defence.

Another thing I've noticed is the play where Billy Slater tries to cut out a few players and throw a long pass to the wing to try and score a try. Brilliant play, I love it. It works well coz that boy is fast. The problem is, it seems to be our Number 1 play. Its becoming predictable.

Predictable can be good. Lets work a variation in. Even something like Billy runs across the field towards the sideline. lets say left to right like he normally does. We have 3 runners he can hit, one running from the touch line diagonally towards the posts for the inside pass. One running the opposite diagonal run (post to sideline) so they both are crossing around the same point as billy. And one running straight along the touch line. That gives us 3 options of who to hit. 3 angles for the opposition to cover. 3 thoughts in the head of the defence of who to cover.

And my final play would be forward hit ups. Lets have 2 players running on each play. Different angles. And lets make sure there is back there to take an opportunity for the offload.

Lets see how creative we can get ;)
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yes, ive thought this about the Billy Slater 'move'. that its is becoming predictable and they changed it slightly on sunday by hitting chambers instead of going wide to turner.
at the begining of the season the forwards were coming up with tip on plays to other forwards as they hit the line but this seems to have stopped lately. we have three excellent passes of the ball in smith from D/H Cronk and Finch, surely we can get the ball wide in 2/3 passes and get players running inside and outside the third reciever.
I think Bellamy needs to take some responsability for our recent form/results as we do not seem to have eveolved much this year in terms of our attacking plays/direction
just my opinions......critique them, don't criticise me!!!
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

lol i doubt the coaching stuff will be on here looking for ways to fix our attack in a real game, if thats the case im worried.

[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bullets wrote: lol i doubt the coaching stuff will be on here looking for ways to fix our attack in a real game, if thats the case im worried.

Agreed! Lets face it most of us on here are world class coaches and if the put us in charge we would revolutionise the team but we have to put up with regular 9-5 jobs until we are discovered!!! :D But if Craig is reading this I'm just a phonecall away from being the salvation the club is looking for :? :D
just my opinions......critique them, don't criticise me!!!
HaliStorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

IMO we have 2 genuine line breakers - Sika and Inglis and without them on the field we lose our 2 best attacking options.

Our outside backs are generally ok defensively (Tomane excluded) but attacking (with the exception of Inglis) they are pretty clueless. Not that we frequently give them much quality ball.

I agree with the comments about building pressure by grubbering into the in goal. Two problems though are the in goals at OP are pretty short so we struggle to achieve this, the other is that when we have these opportunities we still struggle to score.

We need to get more bodies in motion. This creates indecision in the defensive line and allows players to run onto a pass. We too frequently pass to players stood still.

We need to utilise Blair's offload - he's got a great offload but we utilise this very infrequently I'm guessing Bellyache thinks it's too risky.

Cooper, Billy, Finchy and Cam are all capable of creating chances it's just that with the quality of opposition defenses this is proving more difficult and generally their attacking form has been down.

We need to take risks to score - it isn't going to pay off all the time, but without chancing our arm we are really going to struggle to score points with our current outside backs. IMO Bellyache is the best coach in the game, but I believe his one downfall is the ultra conservative approach (i.e. grind, grind, grind) to games. I agree defense wins games, but we still need to score points.

Yours Gus  :D
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like the attack we threw at Manly on sunday, If Inglis was there he could of capitalised, but the gaps probably wouldnt have been there had he been playing I guess.
Our offload count was right up, maybe Koopu coming into the side will be a good thing.
I think we'll smash the roosters this week. Last game at the graveyard the boys will lift, and I also think we'll smash the warriors the next week!
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

LOl...i am not a professinal coach or player...so im not going to pretend as though i have the answers to fix our attack (or anything else for that matter) I am a supporter/fan/member....and thus i call it how i see it. It is not my job or any other supporters job to fix the teams performance...thats what the coaching staff is there for.

That being said...I would like to see the boys hold the ball. Errors and penalties are really killing us. You need to have plenty of ball to even have a shot at scoring. We need to work to our strengths....Tomane, chambers and Nielson arent try scoring freaks and arent great under the high ball....in attack they are pretty average.....so im not sure where our points will come from....More bombs for slater (more pinpoint kicks by cronk might help here to) and Inglis (if he comes back)...Inglis should shift onto the wing on the last play more often.

The forwards need more go forward and the halves particularly Coops needs to work on his kicking game. both Finch and Cronk need to be smarter in attack...pick the best option and go for it 110%...no hesitation and no half assed efforts.

do the simple things right...hold the ball, get our kicks make it a good kick and make the chase even better....be relentless.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Having played a bit as a 18 year old with a few high profile players from the past.

I would like to see a few thing happen.

Defensively we need to get of our line a bit quicker and keep moving up on the deep attacking players. Also we don't cover from the inside as well as we once did.

In attack we need to be a bit deeper and run a bit straighter lines.  Billy needs to straiten up a bit to temp the defenders in  Greg also dose this a bit. 

If we are not getting go forward around the ruck (one off the ruck or dummy half runs) we then need to two out but with options not just one runner.

One other word would energy unfortunately you can tell in the first five minutes if were on or not and so can the opposition and they lift and then it catch up.

But they should work it out Ok.

ps Put Mathew Johns back on the payroll Copper has not play as well I think since he was stood down.
Last edited by bushman on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wok Ryan hits the nail on the head right here if you ask me.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 89,00.html

Craig Bellamy's Melbourne Storm team is struggling. I've been saying for over 12 months that they're too grim for their own good and it was more of the same in their loss to Manly last Sunday when they repeatedly attacked a fortified Manly right edge as if blindly following a script.
Chance after chance went begging on the other side of the field but the halves, Cooper Cronk and Brett Finch, were either peripherally blind to the opportunities or have structure so tattooed on their brains that they don't bother searching with their eyes. Bellamy, in a post-game interview, said they'll need to work harder at training on their attack. The continuing conundrum with Melbourne though is how do you rehearse at training playing what your eyes tell you in a game?
There's a delicate balance between structure and the green light to cut loose when something is on. The Melbourne players appear to have lost their vision for the green light.

Personally I think Cooper is a much bigger problem then Finch when its comes to playing whats in front of you. Of course it wouldnt hurt if our forwards cant get over the top of their opposition.
endo
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

A nice simple fake play could slot in nice.

Make it really obvious the move of Billy and GI (if he is back this week) over to the same side of the field... Maybe with Hoffman. Get them to stand deep. Id have Finch in the middle of the field and cronk positioned 3/4's of the field away.

Put in a your standard sort of forward plays to have the ball on ball 3 or 4 in that spot so cronk receives. This is when the play starts.

Smith passes to cronk, cronk runs across field towards towards finch, at the last minute finch heads back inside switching the direction of the play, passing it back to cam smith who can tip it on to who ever is on that wing to score a, hopefully, easy try!