Update on Danny's hearing

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The bar has now been set.
*Champagne football*
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I gess it shows you cant get old forwards to listen to medical reports and understand it. He was a market man best we tell Alex and Co to hit a few heads in tackels because if you knock someone out or senceless its ok youll only get a few weeks. Wankers !
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

clock off wrote:the media were out for a scalp and the nrl have delivered.
I would say the nrl were out for a scalp and the media delivered :x :x :cry: :cry: :x
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have lost all faith in the NRL judicary after the crap that has been let go all season and then to make up for it do this to Danny. For once I agree with Reg. They can go and get stuffed.
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

anyone wanna lash out on IRC? I'm at the usual storm channels
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

whats IRC?
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

up the top click on chatroom LR
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Once again I have been proved correct....

Rugby League is the best game run by the worst administrators.
:evil: :twisted:
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Well said Mike. :|

As I said just before on RLeague, O'Neill wasn't hurt bad enough for Danny to deserve an 18 week suspension (effectively life as who will sign him at his age with this suspension).
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I can not believe that Danny got 18 weeks. The NRL had already decided what penalty they were going to dish out before they heard anything 2 weeks ago. The judicuary is a total crock, totally inconsistant when dishing out penalties. What Hoppa has done to this game is far worse not to mention many other off feild problems that have damaged the game far more.

Unfortunately it was trial by media for Danny. I have never seen so much shyte published about Danny. The media obviously have never met or spoken to Danny, if they did they would know how much out of the norm what he did was. I am not defending what he did as I think Danny should have recieved maybe 6 to 8 weeks at max.

It is such a shame that such a nice guy that has done so much on and off the feild for the Storm and the NRL is treated this way. I can only hope that Storm will appeal and that Danny can finish his career either at Storm or in England on a much better note.

Contact the NRL and let them know how you feel http://www.nrl.com.au/contactus.cfm
Last edited by StormFront on Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
Storm cat
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

As a AFL supporter come Melbourne Storm supporter I do not fully understand every intricacy of league. I just wanted to know if there is a way that you can appeal a decision of the tribunal like in the AFL, which results in a whole new committee hearing the evidence.

I find it difficult to believe that Fairfax could ask for a 16 week suspension and that Danny is given 18 weeks. It just goes to show that they didn’t listen to anything that was said during the hearing and probably went in with their minds made up on what punishment was going to be given.

The day after the decision to suspend the hearing and continue it in 2 weeks I knew that Danny would be hung out to dry. The media came out in an attempt influenced the hearing by saying that if they believe the defense that it will result in a large influx of violence and players using concussion as an excuse.

I am not saying that he should have got off but I think the suspension should have been more around the 10 game mark.

Anyway I think I am to used to the AFL system that is not as harsh as the NRL one when it comes to the length of suspensions.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hope Mark ONeill never recovers. He deserved what he got
You're a disgrace. Yeah, he got him high, but high tackles happen all the time!!! To hope someone never recovers, and to say that going to hospital on oxygen because of a high tackle is an absolute disgrace!!!

Comments like that are an embarrassment to Storm fans. Pull your head in LR.

As for Danny, I think 18 weeks is a bit harsh, I thought it was going to be more like 12. At the end of the day though, he stuffed up in a big way. Unfortunately, the NRL couldn't let him off due to 'post traumatic amnesia' IMO, because this would have opened the way for players to simply knock people out every time they had copped a high tackle at some stage of a game.

Danny, thanks for the memories, but in this instance, you had to get a decent suspension.
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If you know LR (or at least his posts) as much as a lot of us on this board, you would know (or assume) that he is simply venting his frustration at what was a pathetic decision by the judiciary.
I very much doubt that LR wishes permanent injury on anyone... except maybe the members of the judiciary that made a "general public pleasing" decision rather than an appropriate one (even then I would doubt it in all seriousness).

But I'll leave it up to LR to correct me if I'm wrong...

Just onto the decision, I will not repeat what has already been said, as I agree with most of it, other than to say I think 10-12 weeks would have been appropriate given the medical evidence (that was obviously discounted - effectively calling the "experts" liars) and the fact that Bird received 10 weeks for a seemingly unprovoked knee to the head...

And just on O'Neill, I wonder if he plays this week now that a decision has been made. It seems very convenient that he has not played (as far as I know) while the decision was (supposedly) up in the air, something that I suspect could have been advised to try to exaggerate the effect of the "king-hit". The Tigers and the NRL have tried to arrange a Williams hearing and decision prior to a O'Neill hearing on 2 separate occasions...
I also would not put it past the NRL to have had a hand in the decision behind closed doors (prior to the hearing last night), to try to eliminate a precedent-setting "excuse" as someone already suggested... but that's just me...
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I understand Insomniac that LR was venting some frustration, but it's a very ordinary thing to say, when at the end of the day, it was Danny that stuffed up! That's all
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
stormgirl
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

There was a smartarse comment on seven this morning that "as a bonus, he gets to count the last two weeks as part of the suspension". I was so pissed off...

18 weeks is a shocker. I can't help wondering if it's to discourage people making a defence that the judiciary can't understand? I thought the two week delay might be a good thing, giving people time to cool off, but obviously the board just used the time to build up Danny's hopes and slam them down again. Shocking decision, and they'd better be willing to live up to that level of toughness now.