Storm vs Wests Tigers thread

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah I guess I have felt sorry for Quinn - with Tomane and Isa showing great trial form I thought Quinn should have been given more time to get up to speed by playing at least a game or two for Central Coast before coming back into the top squad, but that didn't happen and we've had to watch him struggle.  Thankfully I agree he is slowly finding some form.

As much as I hate bagging or singling out any of our players, I can't help but cringe whenever Chambers gets the ball or the opposition start heading in his direction, and when he subsequently stuffs up it is very frustrating to watch.  Again, I feel sorry for him because I do believe he has talent and is trying, but it's just not working for him so far this year, for whatever reason.

We have a very strong side on paper, and if one or two players were out of form it probably wouldn't seem so bad, but with so many struggling this year everyone seems to be looking for the weakest link or someone to blame.

I think it is partly a coaching thing that Bellamy has to sort out - possibly underestimating how much the game would change and/or speed up with the two refs.  I also think it has more to do with our forwards being dominated than our backs misfiring.  The plethora of errors being made I feel is due to rushing our attack with little or no room to move when our forwards aren't making the hard yards first.  We have then been forced into defending for far too long and are consistently making a lot more tackles than our opposition.  When we do finally get the ball back, we are too buggered to do anything with it, and frustration and fatigue (mental and physical) set in...

I just hope all of this can be fixed sooner than later, but until we start getting more metres out of our forwards I think we are going to continue to struggle a bit...
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

i think when you average it out, we have our balance of fowards wrong right now, the return of White and Manu will help,

We have too many fowards that you could describe as medium sized or lightweights ,  for fowards,

And most of them are good players individually , but collectively ,  we are lacking some aggresion and  grunt.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think most of our front rowers, particularly those that are coming off the bench this year, would be considered second rowers at a lot of other clubs... great for punching holes in a tiring defensive line on the fringes, but lacking the size and power to wear out the defense up the middle.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Insomniac wrote: Yeah I guess I have felt sorry for Quinn - with Tomane and Isa showing great trial form I thought Quinn should have been given more time to get up to speed by playing at least a game or two for Central Coast before coming back into the top squad, but that didn't happen and we've had to watch him struggle.  Thankfully I agree he is slowly finding some form.

As much as I hate bagging or singling out any of our players, I can't help but cringe whenever Chambers gets the ball or the opposition start heading in his direction, and when he subsequently stuffs up it is very frustrating to watch.  Again, I feel sorry for him because I do believe he has talent and is trying, but it's just not working for him so far this year, for whatever reason.

We have a very strong side on paper, and if one or two players were out of form it probably wouldn't seem so bad, but with so many struggling this year everyone seems to be looking for the weakest link or someone to blame.

I think it is partly a coaching thing that Bellamy has to sort out - possibly underestimating how much the game would change and/or speed up with the two refs.  I also think it has more to do with our forwards being dominated than our backs misfiring.  The plethora of errors being made I feel is due to rushing our attack with little or no room to move when our forwards aren't making the hard yards first.  We have then been forced into defending for far too long and are consistently making a lot more tackles than our opposition.  When we do finally get the ball back, we are too buggered to do anything with it, and frustration and fatigue (mental and physical) set in...

I just hope all of this can be fixed sooner than later, but until we start getting more metres out of our forwards I think we are going to continue to struggle a bit...
=D> A fair view of what ails us at present.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Hopefully our forwards can start aiming up in the middle like they have done in previous years which creates opportunities for our play makers. the boys need to be patience with the ball, hit hard in defence and mix up their options in attack. i believe that every player in our team needs to look at themselves and lift because no one is playing any better than the guy next to them in the team. hopefully they can start working together on saturday night against the warriors, but i'm not very confident
I am back again.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Insomniac wrote:As much as I hate bagging or singling out any of our players, I can't help but cringe whenever Chambers gets the ball or the opposition start heading in his direction, and when he subsequently stuffs up it is very frustrating to watch.  Again, I feel sorry for him because I do believe he has talent and is trying, but it's just not working for him so far this year, for whatever reason.
I too have tried to avoid bagging any individuals but I too am cringing when the ball goes Chambers way. However, watching him play I don't think he is trying hard enough, he looks like he is putting in well under 100% and it doesn't appear to be due to any sort of injuries.

Also, whatever happened to Quinn in the centres? That was what he came to Melbourne hoping to play, how about him in the centre (he seems to defend there most of the time anyways) and put Tomane on the wing, we need more size on the wing.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chambers gets tick of approval
Stathi Paxinos | April 23, 2009

MELBOURNE Storm coach Craig Bellamy will keep faith in Will Chambers, despite the right-centre struggling to make an impact on the scoreboard this season.

With the Storm's stuttering attack only amassing 13 tries in the first six games, Chambers, who is in his last season with the Storm before switching codes to join the Queensland Reds next year, has yet to score a try this year and was outpointed by Penrith flyer Michael Jennings in the round-
five clash, won 16-14 by the Storm.

But Bellamy said Chambers had his backing and had shown signs in training that he was not too far away from producing the goods on the field.

Bellamy said the 20-year-old was returning from a serious knee injury and his defence had been good this year.

"He's not a seasoned first-grader and is still finding his way in  the team and the NRL, so maybe people are expecting too much,'' he said.

Right winger Steve Turner said Chambers would find his rhythm. ``Being a young kid, coming back from serious injury does take a toll on you,'' he said.

"Not many of us have scored tries this year. Hopefully he can cross the line soon, but he's a very confident kid and I have no doubt he will do a wonderful job. He's got a big task ahead of him on the weekend and I'm sure he's committed to taking that task on with both hands.''

Victory against the eighth-placed New Zealand Warriors (3-3) tomorrow is vital for the seventh-placed Storm (3-3) with the representative season approaching, and Bellamy is yet to settle on the team's final make-up.

He would not confirm that recruit Brett Finch would play, only saying that he was a ``pretty good chance'', although he said  the five-eighth could start on the bench. Bellamy also said prop Brett White was a possibility to play his first game this season, but Sika Manu was still troubled by a hamstring injury.
Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said injured full-back Wade McKinnon was unlikely to play, despite arriving with the team in Melbourne last night.

The Warriors' veteran halfback, Stacey Jones, yesterday ruled out another comeback to the Test arena, saying his focus was solely on helping the club.

Jones, who turns 33 a day before next month's Australia-New Zealand Test and has starred in two of the club's three wins this season, said he had contacted NZ coach Stephen Kearney, who earlier this week raised the prospect of Jones returning to the Test arena, and made his position clear.

"I've come back to play for the Warriors and that's where my focus and energy is. I've no intention of playing for the Kiwis. I've spoken to him (Kearney) and he understands my position.''

Melbourne's bid for an annual Anzac Day clash may not make it to a second instalment, with NRL officials revealing there was no provision within the broadcast agreement for a second Anzac Day game.

The Sydney Roosters and St George Illawarra have had a mortgage on Anzac Day in recent years, but with Anzac Day falling on a Saturday this year, the Storm have attempted to trumpet their match against the Warriors.

But NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said the Storm's hopes for an annual Anzac Day clash was at the discretion of broadcasters.  ``The only game that we've got enshrined in the broadcast deal is the Dragons and the Roosters, and that's protected in the agreement for Anzac Day every year,'' he said
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

PO homo
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?