Round 1 selection surprises

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Newcomers likely to get the call as Melbourne Storm plan fresh approach
By Wayne Heming
March 01, 2009 Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy has tipped a few selections surprises for the NRL season opener against St George Illawarra after being impressed by the efforts of his youngsters in Saturday night's 20-6 trial win over Brisbane.

Bellamy gave Storm fans, disappointed by key player losses for 2009, some encouragement for the season ahead, tipping a few of the club's new faces would quickly win them over.

The triple grand final coach said as many as four spots were up for grabs for the round one showdown with the Dragons.

“Everyone knows we've had a pretty big turnover of players.'' said Bellamy.

“We've lost some really good players in Israel (Folau) obviously and Jason Crocker and Jeremy Smith, Antonio Kaufusi and Matty Geyer who could play a lot of positions for us.

“I was really happy with the way the young players and those from other clubs who haven't established themselves performed.

“They've certainly put their case forward.

“Kev Proctor was outstanding, Scott Anderson was good, so was Aiden Tolman and young Joe Tomane and Willie Isa.

“There's probably three or four spots open in the 17 so there'll probably be a few new faces against the Dragons that people probably didn't expect would be there two or three months ago.''

Canberra recruit Ryan Hinchcliffe, who slotted into the dummy-half role in the second half after skipper Cameron Smith suffered a corked knee, former Warriors Test forward Wairangi Koopu and rugby bound Will Chambers also impressed their coach.

“Obviously Hinchy plays dummy-half but he could do a role in the back-row for us,'' said Bellamy.

“He's a tough kid and he did some really good things when he went on for Cameron.

“Wairangi is a very experienced player and he held his own when he replaced Sika Manu in the first half, Koopu finished the game in the centres showing his versatility.

“He played the last 20 minutes in the centres as a bit of an experiment. I'm not quite sure that's his position but he's been tremendous at the club and he certainly wouldn't be out of place if he finds himself in the 17 for the Dragons game,'' said Bellamy.

One player Bellamy won't have to think too much about is Chambers, who will link up with the Reds in the Super 14 at the end of this season.

Despite limited opportunities on Saturday Chambers looked the goods when he got involved in the play.

“He was the most pleasing of all the players,'' said Bellamy.

“I thought he was excellent. He hasn't played for nine or 10 months and I thought his game tonight was tremendous.''

Bellamy's only concern out of the trial win was a corked knee suffered by Smith in the first half.

“We were a bit worried about him at half time but I don't think it's too serious,'' he said.

“The doctors didn't want him to go back for the second half because he's too valuable to take any chances with in a trial.”

AAP
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: “We've lost some really good players in Israel (Folau) obviously and Jason Crocker and Jeremy Smith, Antonio Kaufusi and Matty Geyer who could play a lot of positions for us.
Giddy Up, that means we still have Michael on our books :) :lol: :lol:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Monsoon
Monsoon

hmmm interesting, i think gathered from reports and such that proctor and tomane really stood up, it'll be interesting to see our first week line up, ill have a crack and go with:

1. Slater
2. Turner
3. Chambers
4. Tomane
5. Quinn
6. Inglis
7. Cronk
8. Lima
9. Smith (c)
10. Blair
11. Manu
12. Hoffman
13. Johnson

14. Hinchcliffe
15. White
16. Proctor
17. Tolman

18th man: Koopu/Isa/Anderson

I like that team alot, i think if we go in with that the dragons are no chance, i really hope they stick with proctor and tomane in the 17, i think they'll be superstars.
SeeYaSlater!
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

lol 1999, thats the exact team I was thinking.
Monsoon
Monsoon

WILL Chambers and Willie Isa have virtually won the race for Melbourne Storm's two centre positions after Saturday's trial win against the Brisbane Broncos.
The pair played most of the Sunshine Coast game, both scored tries and seem to have sealed their spots for Friday week's season-opener against St George Illawarra ahead of Dane Nielsen and Joseph Tomane.

The 20-4 victory was Chambers' first game since he injured his knee in Round 10 last season and Storm coach Craig Bellamy singled him out for praise.

"Probably most pleasing of all was the return of Will Chambers," Bellamy said.

"He was tremendous. He hasn't played for nine or 10 months and his game was really excellent."

Bellamy wouldn't pencil in Chambers or Isa for Round 1, but suggested their performances, along with some from the other younger faces, could force his hand come selection time.

"We probably still have three or four spots open in the 17 (for Round 1), so we'll have a good look at the tape and make some decisions," he said.

"But I think some of those young blokes are putting some pressure on some of our established players.

"There are some new young players in the club and it could be time to make a couple of changes.

"We are really happy with how those guys have taken their chances and put their case forward.

"I think we'll see some new faces in Round 1 that we didn't expect three months ago."

hmmmmmmmmmm seems isa is going to be prefered to tomane for some reason, i think isa is more of a defensive liability and with his lack of size and quick speed i believe he is definately more of a winger, if they do go with isa, id move quinn to the centres and isa to the wing
Last edited by 1999 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good to see Kev Proctor standing up this year. Was probably the premier back-rower in the junior ranks and seems to be delivering on that promise so far after a mixed-season in the 1st grade. That could be absolutely huge for us this year. Hopefully Adam Blair as well gets the starting position, hes earned it.

1. Slater
2. Turner
3. Chambers
4. Isa
5. Quinn
6. Inglis
7. Cronk
8. Lima
9. Smith (c)
10. Blair
11. Manu
12. Hoffman
13. Johnson

14. Hinchcliffe
15. White
16. Proctor
17. Tolman
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

I dont think thats surprising to any of us really.

I like the side you posted 1999. When you look at it...it isnt really that big a difference from last years. The bench is different but looks good with some youth and Hinchcliffe in there.

Bellyache also seems to really like Anderson so wouldnt be surprised if he played either.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Monsoon
Monsoon

i really dont know what bellamy sees in isa that tomane doesnt possess.. tomane is just as quick, bigger stronger and taller so can proberbly leap higher, tomane has done his apprenticeship in the under 20's and i really believe he has earned first crack at that centre spot, he has scored afew tires in the trials also and from what i hear can defend alot better than isa. guess we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

tomane also played some first grade last year...im not sure what he sees i havent seen isa play...will be intresting tho.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote: i really dont know what bellamy sees in isa that tomane doesnt possess.. tomane is just as quick, bigger stronger and taller so can proberbly leap higher, tomane has done his apprenticeship in the under 20's and i really believe he has earned first crack at that centre spot, he has scored afew tires in the trials also and from what i hear can defend alot better than isa. guess we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out
Your right that Tomanes looked better defensively but I think Joe may be seen as a better right center, which love or hate the term is something coaches look at now. Lets not forget that he has only played league for one year so he'll be cherry ripe next year to fill the Will Chambers ( :'() position.

Thats not to say though if Isa has a lock on the position.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1. Slater
2. Turner
3. Chambers
4. Isa
5. Quinn
6. Inglis
7. Cronk
8. Lima
9. Smith (c)
10. White
11. Blair
12. Hoffman
13. Johnson

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Manu
16. Proctor
17. Tolman

i think manu will be a bench player yet again, i think the role is his most suited because he can attack the more exhausted opponents while hes still fresh
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think it's great that we even face this dilemma regarding who gets the starting centre spot! :D

After watching the trial vs. Broncos though, both Tomane & Isa played strong games, but Tomane played most (if not all) of the game at wing for the injured Quinn.  Maybe that's where Bellamy sees Tomane slotting in, so the pressure could really be on Turner or Quinn to keep their spots.

Isa's solo effort that produced an important try to break the 0-0 deadlock just before half time could have nudged him ahead as well.  But don't forget that we'll probably see Inglis spending quite a bit of time out in the centres anyway, so the player that gets the nod will more than likely be the one that can adjust to the rotating positions better.

And I agree that White will probably get the starting spot over Manu.
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Insomniac wrote: I think it's great that we even face this dilemma regarding who gets the starting centre spot! :D

After watching the trial vs. Broncos though, both Tomane & Isa played strong games, but Tomane played most (if not all) of the game at wing for the injured Quinn.  Maybe that's where Bellamy sees Tomane slotting in, so the pressure could really be on Turner or Quinn to keep their spots.

Isa's solo effort that produced an important try to break the 0-0 deadlock just before half time could have nudged him ahead as well.  But don't forget that we'll probably see Inglis spending quite a bit of time out in the centres anyway, so the player that gets the nod will more than likely be the one that can adjust to the rotating positions better.

And I agree that White will probably get the starting spot over Manu.
i had thought of that, Bellamy has spoken about the young guys putting pressure on the older guys,

turner is now one of the older guys, and its fair to say his form last year was a little up and down.

he could be under some pressure this season with these kids.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Joel Caine number 1 fan
Squall
Squall

cant wait for the storm game ,i really like the looks of proctor hes gonna be awesome i think