Fixing the problems

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
OZRHINO
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

After following the Storm from day one, I have had major thoughts as to how we become a successful entity.

Winning is obvious. No team will ever have a large market share without a winning team.
Verdict - Jury out

Good management - Success comes from the top down. At present we are in trouble with no stability for the board.
Verdict 2/10

Marketing - WE love the Storm, WE know when they are playing, where they are on the ladder etc, but do many other people? No....
Give free tickets away, do somethnig, but make it better than we are doing now
Verdict 1/10

A home - Olympic Park is not a home in my opinion. I sit front row, top tier, half way line in the western stand. Supposedly they are the best seats in the house. I feel a mile from the game. I dont feel part of matchday. If you choose to goto the social club, you have to go over the road to a foyer of an arena. It is not a home. We should move to Bob Jane Stadium. It is made for football, has ample carparking, great corporate facilities, holds 15000 and has atmosphere. It is only 5 minutes from Olympic Park.
Verdict 5/10

THey are just a few (quickly put together) issues that are in Storms hands that need to be fixed before we take off and reach the potential that I know we can reach.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bob Jane Stadium sounds good! Why has this not been mentioned before (well, not that I am aware of anyway)? Olympic Park sucks for football, and OPT have no commitment to the Storm anyway, as they will force the Storm to relocate if we get a home final this year - what a disgrace.

Any other Melbournian opinions of Bob Jane Stadium?
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Any other Melbournian opinions of Bob Jane Stadium
Um yeah - where is it?
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Bob Jane Stadium - this page is very detailed about the Stadium. It's important to note that where it mentions that the place will be redeveloped shortly - I would think that is now on-hold since the South Melbourne FC no longer exists in the NSL. And chances are that with the new Premier League team not debuting for another year, it won't be the home ground.
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It would definitely need a new grandstand, that one in the photos looks tiny.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Actually, Bob Jane cannot be used for NRL games. The field size is listed as being 104.5m in length and 71m in width. According to the NRL, the minimum width is 68m (fine) but the length must be 100m from goal line to goal line, with the In-Goal areas to be 8m (unless approved by the NRL like OP at 6-7m). This would mean the in-goal areas would be approx 2m each side before a player hits the fence line and breaks their body in some awful way!
OZRHINO
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Buzz wrote:Actually, Bob Jane cannot be used for NRL games. The field size is listed as being 104.5m in length and 71m in width. According to the NRL, the minimum width is 68m (fine) but the length must be 100m from goal line to goal line, with the In-Goal areas to be 8m (unless approved by the NRL like OP at 6-7m). This would mean the in-goal areas would be approx 2m each side before a player hits the fence line and breaks their body in some awful way!
If that is the ONLY issue, I would suggest Storm look at extending the ground in some way, as we are killing ourselves by playing at OP week after week.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yeah, and a video screen might help...
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just hurl that one from OP over to Bob Jane :lol:
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Having been to Bob Jane Stadium to watch the soccer, be it many years ago I don't think it would be a good idea for Storm to move there unless major redevelopment took place. Obviously that would include the length of the field as previously mentioned but also toilet facilities (if you think O.P. is bad, BJS is worse), it needs covering over the northern terrace at a minimum and from memory there isn't all that much protection from the elements for those in the main stand.

I'm sure being close to the ground would be fantastic for atmosphere and with the improvements I've mentioned it might make a good home ground for Storm but who would pay for the improvements? I can't see Storm spending that sort of money and its unlikely the Governement would either.
OZRHINO
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Hailstorm wrote:
I'm sure being close to the ground would be fantastic for atmosphere and with the improvements I've mentioned it might make a good home ground for Storm but who would pay for the improvements? I can't see Storm spending that sort of money and its unlikely the Governement would either.
A joint effort between Storm and the Victorian Govt could be looked at.

There is a Commonwealth Games in a few years. Is it being redeveloped? OP may be being redevloped, but there will always be a running rack. And that kills any atmosphere generated.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

OP WAS going to be redeveloped for the Commonwealth games but Bracks' government took away the money for OP redevelopment and shove it in MCG for temporary upgrade. :roll:

oh and the Victorian government in a joint venture with the Storm to help rugby league? where do you come up with this stuff?? :-s :laughing1: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote:OP WAS going to be redeveloped for the Commonwealth games but Bracks' government took away the money for OP redevelopment and shove it in MCG for temporary upgrade. :roll:

oh and the Victorian government in a joint venture with the Storm to help rugby league? where do you come up with this stuff?? :-s :laughing1: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't forget the grant to Eddiewood to pinch some of the OP car park and turn it into yet another footy oval. Like Melbourne REALLY needs another one of those. :shock:

The Victorian government won't help the Storm until there is a Minister for Sport!!! :roll:

NB: The use of some color, bold & smilies in this post is a blatant attempt to regain my POW crown from Mike The Undiestaker
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Surandy wrote: NB: The use of some color, bold & smilies in this post is a blatant attempt to regain my POW crown from Mike The Undiestaker
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote:
Surandy wrote: NB: The use of some color, bold & smilies in this post is a blatant attempt to regain my POW crown from Mike The Undiestaker
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oops, I forgot to mention the use of sarcasm as well. :wink: