OT: But interesting nonetheless

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The day started off so well...

Now I'm angry. :evil:
*Champagne football*
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Was I the only one who thought that artcile was going to lead one way but was disapointed to find it didn't? From about the 3rd or so paragraph in I thought it was going to be about NRL coverage in a non-league city (Melb.) compared to AFL in a non-AFL city (Bris. or Syd.) but strangely it compared Brisbane & Sydney FTA coverage of AFL & NRL and made out they were hard done by with NRL...

WHAT ABOUT US HERE IN MELBOURNE??? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Again - we don't "rate" a mention.

I'm afraid that the whole concept of that article is also incorrect. Anti-syphoning laws were there to stop the paytv mobs from stealing all the major sporting events and preventing the large majority of people from seeing things like AFL / NRL / Melbourne Cup etc etc.

The problem is with the lack of "hoarding" rules. The government has no restrictions on companies like Nein buying the rights to events to stop other broadcasters getting them, without ever showing them to the public! What is needed are laws that specifically state - if you buy the rights to certain events, they must be shown either live, or within two hours of their start time etc.

This will require a more intrusive form of government and a more active ABA (well - maybe a new authority). OR it will require sporting organisations that sell their product to not go for the highest bidder UNLESS they agree to stipulate when they show the product.

But again - it's all wishful thinking!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

On this - Nein and the NRL have pretty much agreed that all the NRL finals games will be broadcast LIVE - into Sydney, NSW, ACT, and QLD. Melbourne will get the NRL Grand Final only Live by the sounds of it.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just on "hoarding", I remember that we can all thank CH9 for the demise of NFL in Australia - I for one was a huge fan of the NFL, so when I say "thank", I mean :thebirdman: ).
The ABC had done such a great job of introducing the NFL and increasing it's popularity in Australia, CH9 jumped onto the success of it, bought the rights off of the ABC, "hoarded" it, destroyed it (Simon O'Donnell as NRL "expert" :shock: ), and subsequently we have not seen it since (unless you have FOX - although it's popularity is near non-existent these days).
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

We could say the same thing for Baseball, Basketball, Netball... There's a plethora of sports that are suffering because FTA buys the rights, then refuses to show.
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Speaking of NFL, SBS used to run a 30min review of the weekends games but now dont even do that, unless you have Pay Tv you get nothing. The same with NRL, if want want to watch LIVE games, you need Pay Tv and in Melbourne you need to stay up all night to catch the replay. It doesnt do much to promote the Sport wether its NRL or NFL, Television broadcasts do heaps when it comes to raising interest in the sport.
So if we want to get the public's interest back into Rugby League we simply need to get more games on FTA at decent times, its as simple as that. :roll:

- Buzz, Even when Pay Tv have the rights many of them refuse to show some sports...
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Pay TV do a much better job when they have the rights to a sport.

Put simply, you get what you pay for. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys and that's what FTA networks are when it comes to sport. To make things viable they have to fill the telecast chock full of ads.

I much prefer the way things are back home. Sky TV have the rights to pretty much all the major sports and show almost every League & Union game live on their two sports channels, although League get the rough end of the pineapple when the two clash :roll:

I'm happy to pay the premium to get live & uninterupted coverage because sport is a major priority for me.

But the problem is, if you're trying to convert the masses FTA has a wider audience than Pay TV.
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

At least we have been given a number of channel 9 games this year. The timeslots may have dreadful down there, but 9 are starting to get it half right.
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lord Reynoldson wrote:At least we have been given a number of channel 9 games this year. The timeslots may have dreadful down there, but 9 are starting to get it half right.
Nothing will change whilst Channel Nein Melbourne has the rights to both the NRL AND the AFL. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I would love to see Channel Nein lose both FTA TV rights in the next negotiations. I also strongly believe that the NRL should insist on a minimum number of games to be shown within a certain timeframe of the game starting throughout Australia. Otherwise we end up with the ridiculous situation we are in now where sometimes we have to get up at 5:30am to watch a game, or we could end up like Union on Ch 7 where they only show the tests and nothing else.