Golden boot to our Billy Slater

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Billy Slater wins league's Golden Boot
AdvertisementEmail Print Normal font Large font November 29, 2008 - 10:16PM

Advertisement
Australia fullback Billy Slater has capped a remarkable season and further erased memories of his World Cup final howler by taking out rugby league's prestigious Golden Boot award.

The Melbourne star continued his impressive haul of individual honours on Saturday night when he won the prize awarded annually to the player adjudged best in the world.

The award was presented at the Rugby League Players' Association ceremony in Sydney, where Slater also took out the RLPA's representative player of the year award.

It capped a remarkable haul of trophies for Slater this season after he collected the Rugby League International Federation's player of the year and World Cup player of the tournament earlier this month.

The honour would help ease the heartache from Slater's wild pass that gifted New Zealand five-eighth Benji Marshall a pivotal try in the Kiwis' shock World Cup final win over the Kangaroos last weekend.

Meanwhile, Sydney Roosters skipper Braith Anasta was joint winner of the RLPA Players' Player of the year award, just a year after being voted the game's most overrated player.

Anasta shared the peer-voted honour with Penrith captain Petero Civoniceva, a standout in another disappointing season for the Panthers.

Parramatta's Nathan Cayless won the RLPA's New Zealand Representative Player of the Year while Manly and Australian flyer David Williams took out the Rookie of the Year.

Slater showed remarkable form throughout the season, scoring 14 tries as the Storm dominated the regular season, before eventually going down to Manly in the Grand Final.

He lost out to Matt Orford by the narrowest of margins for the NRL's Dally M Medal in September and shone for both Queensland and Australia.

Slater emerged from a group of eight nominees, including Greg Inglis, Johnathan Thurston, New Zealand's Benji Marshall and England's Tony Peacock to take out the award which is run by Rugby League World magazine and considered the highest individual honour in the game.

A panel of 12 rugby league writers and former international stars, including Wally Lewis, Garry Schofield, Peter Sterling and Hugh McGahan cast votes for the award.

In other awards at the RLPA ceremony, Manly's Jason King was named the Dennis Tutty Clubman of the Year, Canberra's Alan Tongue the Education and Welfare Player of the Year and Shaun Fensom the NYC Player of the Year.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

good on him he deserves cant wait for next year 
Storm09
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Are any of us surprised??

Billy was the only contender this year, IMHO

I just hope his consistency stays for years to come
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

sallymay wrote: good on him he deserves cant wait for next year 
Storm09
Re: SLATER AND STORM FINALLY WINS
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:29:29 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BILLY SLATER WINS GOLDEN BOOT

Sorry Sally May , I think you called it first.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i was just excited we had 3 in line for the golden boot one of them had to win lol i was hoping it would be billy

BRING ON 2009 ;D
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cant wait for next season either.
Its a pitty Billy didnt get the Dally M. I guess this surpasses it tho!  :D/
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

As long as he doesn't start wearing golden boots now  :P
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

wait, so what did lockyer win this year?
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

nacho wrote: wait, so what did lockyer win this year?
the "I talk crap award" ? O wait...............That goes to...............RAY WARREN  :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bourbon Rat wrote:
nacho wrote: wait, so what did lockyer win this year?
the "I talk crap award" ? O wait...............That goes to...............RAY WARREN  :twisted:
sarcasm noted lol , but i checked and he won Australia's international player of the year award.
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

singlemalt wrote: Are any of us surprised??

Billy was the only contender this year, IMHO

I just hope his consistency stays for years to come
Was going to sa the same thing. There was noone else really in the running. Slater was miles ahead of everyone this year.

IMO slater has improved every single year...he has had maybe 1 season where he didnt meet our expectations but that was due to his groin worries. The past 2 years he has improved his defence outstandingly and has also added some ball playing to his list of skills...he hasnt perfected it yet...but its great to know that he will keep improving...and thats scary to think about for the opposition teams.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]