Are we as successful as we think we are?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

I was speaking to a friend whos a massive storm fan the other day,and he said something that has made me think and that is 1 trophy from 3 successive grand finals suggests the storm arent as strong or successful as we all think.
I got abit arked up over this,and said well they have to be good to get to 3 successive grand finals,think Brisbane Lions early 2000's,and with a young list coming through,theres even more exciting times ahead.
What does everyone think or have I hit a raw nerve here?
Its all fun and games til someone gets kicked in the head...
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

tons of people especially in the media up here ave been saying the same thing.

It really depends on your defination of being successful. Is it the amount of Grand finals you win compared to the amount you lose? coz in that case we are 50%  (lost 2 won 2). Which is alot better then alot of teams. I mean we have been in more grand finals then the panthers (i think)..they have been around for atleast double the time we have.

or is success seen as how many games you win or records you get etc. We have beaten every team in the competition for the past 2 or 3 years, thats means we have beat every single team atleast once in consecutive years...our win ration in regular games over the past 3 years has been superb. Our players have gone on to play rep footy aswell....so yeah i think we are petty successful.

We just werent good enough 2 times in the past 3 years..but there is no doubting what the team has done in recent years has been bloody amazing.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Of course we've been a successful side - 4 grand finals in 11 years is testament to that.  Having said that though, we have certainly underachieved IMO by failing to turn that success into at least one more premiership.
You yourself have raised the comparision to the Brisbane Lions of the early 2000s - they won 3 premierships out of 4.  We won 1 out of 3 so we have let opportunities slip, no doubt
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

steaming stormer wrote:You yourself have raised the comparision to the Brisbane Lions of the early 2000s - they won 3 premierships out of 4.  We won 1 out of 3 so we have let opportunities slip, no doubt
Brisbane Lions? No comparison. We get no salary cap concessions or other allowances.

Yes we are a successful team, our win/loss ratio over the last 3 years is the best ever. Considering the difficulties of maintaining a champion team with decent depth with the constraints of the salary cap and representative games we have done extraordinarily well. With the evenness of the competition 3 consecutive minor premierships and 3 consecutive grand final appearances is an amazing achievement and one that the Storm and all us supporters should be proud of.

And looking forward we have the team that could make it 4 in a row, plus the year after next we get our brand spanking new stadium.

Although, I am dreading having to listen to every commentator and media wanker crap on in 2010 about us no longer having the advantage of a smaller field. :roll:
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

id rather be like we are now than to be another club like the sharks, 40 years and nothing to show
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

All interesting responses.Was keen to hear what those with more knowledge and understanding of the game and team thought.
Its all fun and games til someone gets kicked in the head...
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the sharks have never won a final they have only got to one final and lost mmmmm we have been to 4 finals and been in finals every year bar 2 we have won thre minor premiorships in a row sharks never have the sharks have a respected coach in mr stewart we have a great coach in mr bellemy our team is full of superstars we may have lost 2 gf's but we have won two i know which team i think is better 

STORM 09
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Successful? too right we have been.

Take everything into account from the following'

Lack of support from the games administrators
Lack of Advertising
Lack of media exposure (radio and television and no fairfax print unless its negative)
Lack on concrete game schedule
Lack of training facilities (for the first number of years), ground facilities for supporters..etc, etc.

Number of games won,
Number of Representative players
Number of 'fans' (not members)
Number of viewers
Number of finals appearances
Number of final wins
Number of Premiership

Now anyone that says anything different need their head red.
Last edited by Stormwarning[c] on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

In our 11-year existence we have missed the finals only twice. We have two premierships and have played in four grand finals.
As a Richmond supporter in the AFL, I would donate a kidney to have that sort of success.
It needs to be put in perspective.
2012 premiers. Legit.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

tugga wrote: In our 11-year existence we have missed the finals only twice. We have two premierships and have played in four grand finals.
As a Richmond supporter in the AFL, I would donate a kidney to have that sort of success.
It needs to be put in perspective.
You and me both Tugga!!!!  ;-)
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
stormy bill
Squall
Squall

I see this as a no brainer, the past 3 seasons has seen us rack up an 80% win ratio 80 PER CENT. No one else comes close.Even the great St.George teams of the sixty's didn't manage a record like that.As for the Brisbane Lions they did not win 3 minor premierships in their run. Are we successful ? maybe we are a bit spoiled.Think Sharks,Penrith and Warriors fans and long may it stay like that.
What we do today will echo in eternity
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

In the time that Storm have been in the NRL we have won more games than anyone including the broncos.We have made 4 GF and that is awesome in any comp.We are lucky that we have a great team instead of a mediocre team like eels,rabbits,chooks etc.(can you imagine following any of them every week? How yawnful would that be?) Did anyone notice that out of the 6 tries that were scored in the Kangaroos vs kiwis game  5 were from the Storm boys...Slater,Inglis,Folau and Manu...
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

stormy wrote:Did anyone notice that out of the 6 tries that were scored in the Kangaroos vs kiwis game  5 were from the Storm boys...Slater,Inglis,Folau and Manu...
You should have a read of the Rugby League World Cup thread.