B. Smith says video ref call disgusting

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

From the SMH
Steve Mascord wrote: Eels rage as officials have hand in defeat
By Steve Mascord
July 25, 2004
The Sun-Herald

Video referee Chris Ward defended his decision to award Melbourne halfback Matt Orford a matchwinning try 20 seconds from full-time last night - a call Eels coach Brian Smith labelled "disgusting".

Fighting to stay in the finals race, the Eels fought back to level the scores 16-16 with just two minutes left in an incident-packed contest.

With golden-point time appearing a certainty, the Storm went the length of the field. Orford launched himself at the line despite the attention of Eels Daniel Wagon, Wade McKinnon and Nathan Hindmarsh.

The Sydney Origin rep reached over his head to touch down, with Smith claiming afterwards that Ward was the only person in the stadium who could not see McKinnon's hand between the ball and the grass.

"I viewed it from both sides," Ward told The Sun-Herald.

"The ball appeared to be on the ground from the far side but after viewing it on two occasions the benefit of the doubt - that the ball did hit the ground."

Smith's comments were among the most vociferous by a coach at a post-match media conference this season. "Disgusting is the word," he said. "I think all the Melbourne players had lined up for a play-the-ball, didn't you?

"I think they knew what had happened. All of our players knew what had happened.

"Certainly the bloke who made the tackle had his arm under the ball and held him up.

"It appeared as if the video referee was the only one who didn't realise what had happened.

"To come here playing under pressure to stay in the race for the finals, and to lose the way we did, on the back of decisions not made by players from either team, is just not good enough.

"If we keep playing like we did tonight and we're on the end of some crap calls, it will make it very difficult [to make the finals]."

Parramatta also questioned whether Melbourne's Matt King got the ball down inside the corner post for his 56th-minute try, and centre Dean Widders claimed he had been taken out without the ball just short of scoring seven minutes later

"[The Orford decision] was one of many tonight - some made in the box, some made on the field - that were the difference in the winning and losing of the game," Smith said.

"It wasn't decided by the players tonight . . . it's there for everyone to see. You'd just like to think the appropriate action will be taken." Orford admitted he wasn't totally sure if he had scored a fair try.

"I thought I got it down," he said. "Whether he [McKinnon] had his arm underneath it as well, who knows? There were a fair few bodies there."

The controversial finale wasn't the only thing about the game what was out of the ordinary.

Parramatta second-rower Hindmarsh turned the airwaves blue when he referred to an opponent - presumably Billy Slater - as "that f------ little c---" when being cautioned by referee Paul Simpkins in the 31st minute.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy said: "I thought their try in the second half under the posts probably came from a forward pass . . . what goes around comes around.

"That last one, from the angles that they had, they probably had to rule a try, to be quite honest."

Smith is a huge whinger. Can't get a win most of the year, had to go off on video refs. Hindmarsh is becoming more and more of a joke. :roll:

and Michael Vella, that skinhead wannabe, Eels fans are praising him for those high shots and knee at Slater. They got a team full of deadset hopeless bunch of has beens. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Which Eel was it that scored a try near the posts? He looked like he lost the ball but the ref gave it to him
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Fui Fui Moi Moi. It was a fair try though.
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Or do you mean the one that made it 16 all? Cause Lee Hopkins scored that one.
Gostorm
Squall
Squall

It is okay for Smith to whinge what about the bad calls that went our way. He has got to take the good with the bad and get on with the game. Slater was taken out a few times but I did not hear our guys whinging and carrying on. If Hindmarsh actually used those words when been spoken to he should also be reported for dissent or whatever.
Matt King rules!!!!!
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thats exactly what he said. You could hear it as clear as day on fox sports.
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Earl wrote:Fui Fui Moi Moi. It was a fair try though.
I disagree. The player that had the ball before Moi Moi, if he passed it it was a forward pass, if he wasn't trying to pass it was a dead set knock on.

Vella will have nothing to answer for with that kneeing incident. Probably shouldn't have been penalised. Chan will be in trouble though for his high tackle.

And that last try, well Brian Smith has tried blaming players for losses earlier in the year by dropping them, now he has to find some other scapegoat for his teams result.

All up, that was arguebly the most boring game of football that I have seen in a long, long time with the exception of the last 30 seconds.
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Brian Smith wrote:"I think all the Melbourne players had lined up for a play-the-ball, didn't you?"
It took me all day to actually understand the importance of what he meant by this statement. Brian's using the fact that Storm was lined up as a reason for us believing the try was not a try.

I'd like to offer a differing opinion. With less than 20 seconds on the clock, and the decision with the video referee, could the Storm boys be thinking - well, if it's a try, it's a try and we win. If however it's not a try, we'll have less than 20 seconds to get one play of the ball before the siren goes and it's extra time.

If it was that thought process, it shows great resolve by our boys to believe that with less than 20 seconds remaining, we still had a shot at scoring to break the deadlock.

It should not be interpreted as us thinking the try was not!
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Smith really should see that replay from the back again. It clearly shows the ball touching the ground.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

B Smith is a wanker and he's shown that all year. I hope he get's fined for his comments. :wink:
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Brian Smith = :cussing: :lol: :lol: :lol: