NRL to put tv rights up for grabs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

The NRL is considering splitting its free-to-air television coverage between several stations in an effort to boost the game’s finances in Australia.

League officials could follow the AFL’s lead and allow the Seven and Ten networks to broadcast some games when the next round of broadcast deals is negotiated.

It is even considering breaking up the rights to the grand final and the State of Origin series, selling each as a separate ratings-winning package.

The current deal with Channel Nine and Fox Sports expires after the 2012 season.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said creating a bidding war between rival broadcasters could help the game’s under-pressure bottom line.

"(It is) certainly an option, as is selling individual nights as distinct packages, a whole of these options are open to us," he told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"The money is a big factor, it is the factor.

"But we also want to see our game reach as many people as possible and be well presented."

Last weekend’s NRL grand final drew 3.070 million viewers from the capital cities and 996,000 from regional centres this year, while the State of Origin series is consistently one of the top-rating sports events in Australia.
-rugbyleaguelive.com
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The current deal with Channel Nine and Fox Sports expires after the 2012 season.
By which time Gallop will have to pay them to take the bloody TV rights,as the game will be dead in the water & crowds in Sydney starting to stagnate.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Thor19
Squall
Squall

Hopefully the NRL will be restructured by then with News Limited as a shareholder only. If not you may be right.
The NRL are only interested in the short term - newspaper sales; TV ratings; and sometimes bums on seats.

With a bit of luck they will split out the Free to Air rights - out to anyone other than Ch 9! then I won't have to listen to the sarcastic Tony Jones (Ch 9)
There is only one Melbourne Storm
And in Melbourne they will stay
.....forever.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

"The money is a big factor, it is the factor.
So there is the statement to say that he doesn't care, wont fight for or consider the views of the supporters.
"But we also want to see our game reach as many people as possible and be well presented."
Sorry Gallop, but no you don't, otherwise you would not have signed the extension you did only 16 months ago that ensured that less people got to see the game.

Oh, should also mention the NRL doesn't have the rights to sell ANY representative game, never has....that is the ARL's job, that is way Representative games are being shown at decent times due to the ARL, NSWRL and QRL ensuring it is written into their broadcasting contracts, also renewed a little over 19 months ago.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

we should all pool our money together and buy the tv rights. good idea aye  ;-)
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
wenjo
Squall
Squall

Does anyone know when the AFL rights will be up for grabs again????????????????
Nine will be more interested in gain those rights here in Vic than NRL, not that they ever where.
Lets just hope that the NRL at least tries to give us Vic who don't have pay TV get at least radio courage of Storm games. Congrats to MMM for at least giving us Monday night storm games.
2gb have fantastic courage of all, Saturday night games goes to the ABC which is better than nothing,  although net access isn't always available.

Anyway by 2012 we wil be watch the B teams running around because all the marque players will be overseas  ???
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Last weekend’s NRL grand final drew 3.070 million viewers from the capital cities and 996,000 from regional centres this year, while the State of Origin series is consistently one of the top-rating sports events in Australia.
If this is correct, that's under 600,000 more than the AFL broadcast....that's nice.

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

The grand final was watched by a peak national audience of 2.465 million, with Nine’s coverage averaging 2.074 million across the five mainland capital cities. Nine screened the match live in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, with 60.6 per cent of the audience tuning in to watch the Eagles win their first premiership in 12 years.

Across the East Coast stations, Nine’s live coverage of the game peaked at 2.289 million viewers and averaged 1.936 million between 5.15pm and 7.00pm (match time), securing a 66.3 per cent audience share.

In Melbourne, Nine’s live coverage won every quarter of its timeslot and attracted 48.9 per cent of the audience. The game attracted a peak audience of 587,000 (6.30pm) and an average of 492,000 viewers.

Nine’s coverage of the 2008 NRL grand final was also the number one show across the 5 City Metro for People 25-54, 16-39 and 18-49.
From a Channel Nein Press Release.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thxs Buzz,

And the NRL wonder why supporters of the code get peeved with them.

Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

I know its slightly off topic,but dont be suprised if Telstra withdraw their sponsorship.They're pulling contracts like a dentist and teeth at the moment.
Its all fun and games til someone gets kicked in the head...
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Cronk7 wrote: I know its slightly off topic,but dont be suprised if Telstra withdraw their sponsorship.They're pulling contracts like a dentist and teeth at the moment.
Fair chance.They've been the 'naming sponsor' since 2000 but they're probably looking for a higher profile sport for their dollar.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Higher profile than the biggest code in the biggest state of Australia??
I just think they're reconsidering all their sponsorships of sport
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

steaming stormer wrote: Higher profile than the biggest code in the biggest state of Australia??
Western Australia has it's own sport??  ;-)
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Tigger wrote:
steaming stormer wrote: Higher profile than the biggest code in the biggest state of Australia??
Apparently yes, it doesn't have a name that I know of but it involves hating the rest of Australia.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Surandy wrote:
Tigger wrote:
Apparently yes, it doesn't have a name that I know of but it involves hating the rest of Australia.
No silly, that's only NSW  ;-)
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!