Coaching Insight

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I recently had the opportunity to interview Coach Craig Bellamy for a school assignment on managing people performance. One of the most intriguing responses related to how the performance of each player is monitored and managed throughout the season.

The coaching staff analyse each game in detail - looking at the game in increments and noting what each player is doing - both on the ball, and off the ball. These notes are typed up and distributed to the players as feedback on their performance.

In addition to this, a scoring system is used (again using on and off the ball performance) to give a player a per-match score. A player is encouraged to beat their own previous scores and not compete against other players' scores. In this way, the individual performance of a player is managed and improvement against their own performance is monitored.

I'll see if I can find my assignment again and post some other insights into the teams' performance and improvement this season!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Thanks for the reminder Stormer2004 - here are the questions and answers!

Questions:

Q. Within your role as coach of the Melbourne Storm, how much of your tasks revolve around performance management?

A. Most of my tasks is about performance management, Management of players as individuals, management of players as a team and management of my staff are all about performance.

Q. Every week, you have to prepare the players for the next game. What kind of strategies do you employ to prepare them for the game?

A. Revision of last week's performance and getting information on next week's opponents are done through computer technology and video. Recovery from last week's game and a game plan for next week's game are all important.

Q. Following a game, how do you manage the emotions of the players, and create a separation between one game and the next?

A. Different players have different emotions so controlling emotions is more often a personal thing and the players are responsible for controlling emotions, with help from the coaching staff if needed. After our 1st training day after a game, revision and discussion on last week's game is done and then we put last week out of our minds and start to focus on next weeks game.

Q. How much of your role as manager is nurturing the mind, through motivation and desire, compared to the physical requirements of skills and training?

A. Mental preparation is a very important part of our preparation. We can't think for the players and make them be motivated and committed but we can give them goals and aims and hopefully they'll be committed and motivated to achieving these goals.

Q. When a player performs either well or poorly, what strategies do you have in place for reward or otherwise?

A. We have a points scoring system for each player on what he does on the field - for "on the ball" and "off the ball" efforts. The challenge for the player is not to score more points than his teammate but to compete against his previous scores and challenge himself not only in quantity but quality.

Q. With some of your staff based in Brisbane, how have you altered your management practices to monitor performance with them?

A. I am in constant contact with our coach in Brisbane and our assistant coach here watches all of Brisbane's games on video and we make suggestions and reminders in feedback.

Q. As the season progresses, have you found that managing the performance of the team increases with difficulty, or is it self-perpetuating with the semis approaching?

A. We are big on routine and by the end of the season the players are aware and used to our routines and systems. We feel we put 100% into our preparation during the year, so nothing much changes at semi-final time.

Q. What type of physical resources do you need to manage?

A. Not quite sure of the question! Again managing the players and staff as well as our CD and video equipment is a big part of my role.

Q. How do you manage conflict between providing the resources you need to achieve results, as opposed to the need to ensure fiscal responsibility?

A. We just do the best we can and make priorities as far as the resources we would like to the resources we can afford. We always are looking at ways to improve but restrictions on budgets are a real issue.

Q. With the football department, are various tasks divided amongst the department to handle player management, resource management and performance analysis?

A. Our staff isn't big enough to have a specific task, we have people who are multi-skilled and we take advantage of that. Everybody has a role to play but mostly it isn't in just one area of our football department.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Good work Buzz, are you studying this field in Uni or are you still in high school?
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

simo wrote:......or are you still in high school?
:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

OMGLOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Hehehe, not laughing at u simo but........Buzz in high school hahahahaha :lol:
pity we didn't know him then :wink:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
cheriebee
Squall
Squall

hey Buzz, still got ur school uniform?? :wink:
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

cheriebee wrote:hey Buzz, still got ur school uniform?? :wink:
Has anyone got a copy of that pic of Buzz at Docklands they can post for simo's benefit?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Rather than dredge that ol' photo out... I was studying Business Management and the topic was Lead Work Teams. My theory is that business already uses sporting analogies to inspire effective teamwork - why not actually speak to a coach of a real team, and how they deal with each others roles, and dealing with defeat / success on a weekly basis. The line can be drawn that a sports team goes through the tribulations of a workforce, with challenges more frequently and more graphically demonstrated!

That was the theory anyways! As for age - getting scarily close to the 30th. Still have my school jumper (and think it still fits.. love stretchy wool!)
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

simo wrote:Good work Buzz, are you studying this field in Uni or are you still in high school?
Simo, are you the only Victorian based Storm supporter that hasn't met, or even seen, Buzz? :wink:
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

:lol:
I had no idea, No ive never met or seen Buzz.
Or have I?????
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

simo wrote::lol:
I had no idea, No ive never met or seen Buzz.
Or have I?????
If you've been to games at the Docklands in 2001 then I'm positive you've seen Buzz and Rabble_1, they were the two supporters running up and down the touchlines with huge Storm flags. Rabble_1 wore a Storm Man mask, Buzz didn't.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

does anyone happen to have a photo of these runs?;)
if so you know where my pm is...
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ive got some photos from the Storm vs Brisbane game that was at docklands
and im sure theve got those two running with the flags, Ill have to check.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

simo wrote:Ive got some photos from the Storm vs Brisbane game that was at docklands
and im sure theve got those two running with the flags, Ill have to check.
I loved that game, first and only game with the seats moved in. The atmosphere was great and we were so much closer to the action.

If all of the games at Docklands were with the seats moved in and we stayed there then I'm sure this business with Storm being criticised over our crowd numbers would not exist.