Young Player Signings?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Just read an article in one of the NZ papers that Peter O'Sullivan (Roosters) has enticed an up and coming player away from NZ supposedly from under the watch of the Warriors that has caused some heartache with Warriors fans.  In the years that he was at the Storm, he seemed to be able to get a  large number of elite player signings in the 16 to 18 year old age bracket.  Look at the Australian Schoolboys side from 2006 - Israel Falou, Aidan Tolman, Kevin Protector, Liam Foran, Joel Thompson and Jay Aston.  All six stand a very good chance of making the grade.

Got me wondering if there has been any decent signings by the Storm this year in the 16-18 bracket?  Are we quietly going about our business of shoring up the future and not getting the publicity that Peter O'Sullivan seems to generate with each move or are we now finding it (or are going to find it) harder now to sign up the elite kids.   
Ahhh McGahan; you've done it agahan....
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Maipele Morseau is one I know of. Was signed as a half-back and should 16 this year. Older brother George plays for the Knights. Goes to St. Brendans College in Yepoon. I think Brad Arthurs from there so he might know something about him.
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Looks like Justin O'Neill is progressing nicely as well. 

Townsville league flyer to play for Queensland schoolboys

NATALIE PEUT

04Jun08

JUSTIN O'Neill was named player of the carnival during the Queensland under-18 schoolboys rugby league championships last month.

The Cathedral School student was also picked for the Queensland under-18 side after the Ipswich championships.

"I was hoping to have a good carnival, but I never expected to do that well," O'Neill said.

"I never expected to get player of the carnival out of all of Queensland."

O'Neill has already taken a step in the right direction for a career in the NRL, earning himself a three-year scholarship with the Melbourne Storm.

"They wanted me to try out for this carnival last year, but I thought I had a better chance this year," O'Neill said.

"I had a break from league last year and played union because I wanted to give it a go."

It was the three-year scholarship that brought O'Neill back to rugby league.

The scholarship assists with his schooling and football career.

"I think it turns into a real contract next year when I start playing some footy for them," O'Neill said.

"I think I'll be playing in the under-20s (Toyota Cup)."

Playing in the NRL has been a life-long dream for O'Neill.

"Hopefully that will be with the Storm," he said.

O'Neill will spend a week in training camp this month before representing Queensland at the national under-18 championships.
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Noa Nandruku wrote: Maipele Morseau is one I know of. Was signed as a half-back and should 16 this year. Older brother George plays for the Knights. Goes to St. Brendans College in Yepoon. I think Brad Arthurs from there so he might know something about him.
St Brendan's were rewarded with four players named in the Queensland Independent Schools honorary team.

Fairweather, Blackman, centre Lyndon Law and fullback Maipele Morseau gained selection.
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Ben Hampton (Half Back) also seems to be coming on nicely.  Made the QLD Under 16 SOO Team.

Whilst waiting in the wings is former Mareeba junior and Eacham rep player Ben Hampton who has represented Queensland in the under 13’s and 14’s merit sides and this year in the inaugural under 16’s State of Origin team plus been on the Melbourne Storms books for the past few years.
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

From the Central Coast Match Report:

Perhaps the only real highlight for me was the form of our youngest player, 17-year-old Grant Nelson. Grant is a local junior (from The Entrance Tigers) and is a graduate of our SG Ball Junior Representative Team from the last two seasons. Out of the Billy Slater mould (small, tough and very, very quick), he has played in our last two games and been close to our best (along with the ever reliable Reegan Tanner). What Grant gives away in size he makes up for in attitude and heart, and at times I wish some more of my players had these qualities.

Anyone know if has been signed by the Melbourne?  Raises the interesting question of whether he would progress faster playing in an open age league or the Under 20 competition.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Justin O'Neill? Wasn't he with the cowboys a few years back?  ;-)
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote: Justin O'Neill? Wasn't he with the cowboys a few years back?  ;-)
That was Julian. And boy-oh-boy, wasn't he a poster child for ADD.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Interseting tidbt on Maipele, who is still on a Storm scholarship, in this weeks Big League in regards to the Australian Scholboys Championships which are on atm

"Against NSW CCC, Queensland got hime 26-22, with maroons fullback Maipele Morseau the star of the match - and of the tournament so far. Morseau scored 2 tries against the catholics and exhibited extrordinary speed and acceleration of the mark".

Looks like we got another specail talent on the way, just in time to replace Billy when he finishes up.
MtVaeaG
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I also read somewhere that we have a few victorians in the australian under-16 team things are looking good for victorian league in general..