Storm on Foxtel?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
VIC
Squall
Squall

Are Channel 9 f&cked or what????

What is it with those pathretic morons and the non-screening of NRL games here in Melbourne?? It's been proven that NRL games rate reasonably well in Melbourne....so what is it that they are smoking??? Is the station being run by anti-NRL crusaders I wonder??

It annoys me to see that even on a Sunday afternoon they screen some stupid bubble gum show that not one in their right mind would be watching instead of the NRL game of the round.....you really need to start questioning the management choice of the Nine Network.

I guess all of this helps to explain why they lost the ratings to Channel 7 last year (Sucked IN!!!)...let's just hope that the NRL give Channel 9 the arse in the next contract renewal, and hopefully the NRL can negotiate a litte harder for rugby league to be shown in Melbourne!
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

You'd hope they (the NRL) will because they'll be able to see that there is a demand for the games down here,and that the Storm do have a following,and as reigning Premiers,you'd think that the NRL would want to do whats in the team and games best interest and that is to give the supporters some of what they want.
Its all fun and games til someone gets kicked in the head...
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy wrote: When I used to go there on a regular basis there was always 15 or more people there to watch the Storm games.
I went to the Rising Sun a few times last year.  When I went there were about 2 dozen Stormy fans there.
It's not a bad set up, you grab your self some pub grub and then enjoy the game. 
Unfortunately the game I went to last year was our dismal game against the Rooters  #-o
Along with the Rising Sun, the other pubs AFAIK that shows Storm games include the Swan Street Pub, Station Street Pub in Prahran (I think the Melbourne based West Tigers fans go there) and as mrpc mentioned the Charles Dickens.
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
lotti

9 might do what they did in 2000 which is actually show the NRL at a decent time, according to my sister they went NRL mad.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cant see that happening Lotti!
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Channel Nein showing the NRL live into Melbourne is something I can't see happning either.  They want to get the AFL rights back.  If they start showing NRL live this year, or next year, soon enough, once their executives score a victory over seven and ten, they'll have to pre-empt us for the higher ratings that the AFL would offer in Melbourne.  I'm certain they will not want to put themselves into that position, so they will keep treating us like dirt.

The only way we will get live coverage is when the contracts get renegotiated, but only if the NRL demands that the winning bidder include a use it live or lose it clause for away games into emerging markets (eg: Gold Coast and Melbourne), whereby they have to show the games live themselves, and if they don't, they offer it to SBS, ABC, ABC2, Foxtel 518 or similar.  Like the AFL does in NSW, ACT and QLD (their emerging markets).
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
VIC
Squall
Squall

I don't expect for Channel 9 to screen live NRL games during prime time on a Friday night in Melbourne, as they would not stand a chance aginst the AFL coverage. Conversely, just like they dont show live AFL games in Syndey, Brisbane or Canberra on a Friday night against the NRL games. Afterall, the networks are chasing ratings, and prime time is their time to earn the BIG bucks.

What I am suggesting is for Channel 9 to screen the Sunday NRL game LIVE - which would be either 2pm or 3pm - far from being an important time slot in terms of ratings. And besides, Channel 9 typically screen rubbish shows like Lassie or Gilmore Girls - surely the NRL would rate far better or I would run naked down Pitt Street in Sydney. What I think is that their is an anti-NRL crusade amongst Channel 9 executives in Melbourne, as they are all embracers of AFL and nothing else.

Because the NRL is the #1 rater of winter sports in Australia, I just hope that at the next round of contract negotiations, David Gallop can be a little more "ballsy" and not award Channel 9 the contract, and be more firmer in the negotiations process. Unfortunately, in these last round of negotiations he did a poor job and rolled over for the networks. Very disappointing if the NRL is serious about expanding the game in emerging markets!!!
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

VIC wrote: I don't expect for Channel 9 to screen live NRL games during prime time on a Friday night in Melbourne, as they would not stand a chance aginst the AFL coverage. Conversely, just like they dont show live AFL games in Syndey, Brisbane or Canberra on a Friday night against the NRL games.
If I'm not mistaken, not only does NSW, ACT and QLD get live coverage of the Friday Night games on Foxtel channel 518 (we don't even get those games live down here on FTA, they're delayed an hour), the AFL specifically does not roster Swans or Lions games on Friday nights.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if the Storm got live coverage on Sundays and an embargo on Friday Night games? (or at the very least, Friday Night away games).
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

Pity Eddie isnt still CEO at 9,Id PM him the link to this thread on the Collingwood forum otherwise.
Something needs to be done about the joke that is the coverage of Storm games in Melbourne.Its a joke,a disgrace,an embrassment and an insult to Storm fans.
VIC
Squall
Squall

Fully agree - it's a joke alright! It's very disappointing that those anti-NRL fascists are doing this at Channel 9!

Let's hope that their contract doesn't get renewed eh????
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

The NRL only just renewed their contract with Nine last year - thing will probably never change  :?
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Cronk7
Monsoon
Monsoon

Good thing the guy from Foxtel is ringing me Thursday to organise installation then lol
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

i cant see it ever changing, unfortunately for you guys down there. nine are just assholes.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy wrote:
MENACING*STORM wrote: You can also join the Mad Melbourne Mob that gathers at the Rising Sun to watch games on Imparja.
I might have to go there once or twice this year, I was a regular there for Storm away games a few years ago.

I don't need to go to the rising sun,

I can watch imparja at my home.
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND