Orford stays with Storm for 2005

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

They just announced on NRL on Fox that Matt Orford has agreed to stay in Melbourne for the 2005 season.

Its also been updated on the Storm website.

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news.php?id=453

Atleast the decision has been made now and we can all move on. I find his comments on the one year deal interesting and maybe a stretch of the truth.
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hailstorm wrote:maybe a stretch of the truth.
Yes you definitely have to read between the lines there. Just a tad transparent Matty! But still, glad it's finalised for this year at least. I hope he gives us his absolute best for the rest of the season and next year.
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

“I’m taking a bit of a gamble with a one-year deal and backing myself because I just feel like I want to challenge myself.

“I think every year I’m going to get better and better and there’s no harm in backing yourself for a good season and then putting yourself on the market.”
yeah nice work matty showing alot of loyalty there :roll:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Anticipating news of Johnson, Kidwell, Webster, etc signing up again in the next few days and NOT dragging it out like Ox did. I am still so angry at Ox for his selfishness and showing near no loyalty to the club who MADE him!

Hopefully he shows his appreciation for the Storm's patience with him by signing a long term deal this time next year.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Heard a radio interview of James Avery this evening (Storm's Media man), and was asked the question about Danny Williams, and would he be re-signed. According to James, Danny is so selfless that he puts all other players ahead of himself, and after that, if there's an offer he takes it.

I'm hoping that's true, and that Danny is with us again next year!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I guess it just goes to show that Orford definately does not get on the internet and read the league (and in particular, Storm) forums.
After all the comments made by us Storm supporters, there's no way Matty would've signed with us if he had read them!! :D

But he has, and I just hope that his focus is now on the Storm... but I will not be looking forward to the exact same situation this time next year... :roll:
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Buzz wrote:Heard a radio interview of James Avery this evening (Storm's Media man), and was asked the question about Danny Williams, and would he be re-signed. According to James, Danny is so selfless that he puts all other players ahead of himself, and after that, if there's an offer he takes it.

I'm hoping that's true, and that Danny is with us again next year!
If thats the case then he deserves to be here for as long as he wants :D
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

MELBOURNE halfback Matt Orford last night rejected interest from at least three NRL clubs - including Newcastle - to sign a new one-year deal with the Storm.

The Knights on Tuesday expressed an interest in Orford to replace Andrew Johns, poised for a switch to rugby union.

But Orford resisted the temptation to leave Melbourne and signed a deal believed to be worth about $350,000.

"He is comfortable with the set-up, comfortable with his teammates and comfortable with the club's structure," manager George Mimis said.

Orford, who comes from Gosford, signed a one-year deal to be available for the 2006 season should the Central Coast Bears gain NRL admittance.
I like the 350k part :lol:
cookieduster
Squall
Squall

Priority now Danny and Kidwell...I hope like hell they dont leave the fold..Danny and also the Mooks appear to be guys that are not selfish and look at the big picture..man thats sure refreshing.Cant really blame guys for a bit of self interest and longterm vision but hell there has to be a better way so the fans dont get strung out :shock:
GORT...Klatu.. Verada..Necto
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mark Doran mentioned the news on SEN at about 8:10pm last night. He then went to an interview with Western Bulldogs' Scott West and Mark brought the subject of Matt Orford a number of times during the interview. Asking Scott if he felt like he was in a similar position to Matt and what he thought of the Storm, etc.

Good onya Mark!!!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah I've been a big fan of Kidwell's, especially since he arrived at the Storm. He consistently puts in, even when others around him seem disinterested.
He certainly appreciates the opportunity to be playing full-time in the top grade (unlike the game time he was getting at the Roosters), and I'm sure I've heard him say that he just wants to prove to the Storm that they made a good decision in picking him up, and his effort and intensity is a reflection of his appreciation.

I sure hope he re-signs.

And Danny... what needs to be said about him. This guy plays like he's 10 years younger. I hope we can fit him in somehow too! :thumbleft:
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Geez, $350,000 is alot less than i thought he would sign for. I didn't believe the $500,000 figure that was being thrown around but thought it might have been $400,000 or a little higher.

Now i hope the CC don't get a team and he settles a long term contract with us sooner rather than later... bit much to hope for ya reckon?
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just saw in Ten News, they said that Orford signed for just over $400,000 so i guess nobody really knows except Matt, his manager & Storm, its all speculation.

The thing that really bugs me about the comments Matt is making, he says it took a long time to make a decsion because he wanted to carefully assess his future options. I can take that coming from someone who signs a long term deal but not from a guy who just signed a 1 year deal. There is only one reason why it took so long, he wanted to screw the club for every cent he could get. I'm happy that he's staying but somewhat disapointed with him. We all know the truth of the matter Matt, you don't need to make up stories.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Now that this is over, for another year anyways,I hope that Matt and the team have a great game this weekend.

GO STORM!!!
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hailstorm wrote:Just saw in Ten News, they said that Orford signed for just over $400,000 so i guess nobody really knows except Matt, his manager & Storm, its all speculation.
Especially when it comes to Channel Ten news. They are the ones that are wrong more often than not. So its pretty hard to judge.