News -Storm negotiating Dome switch

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
northern_stormer
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=42
ImageMELBOURNE Storm is in the final stages of negotiations with Telstra Dome management to shift its Round 9 Monday night clash with the Bulldogs from Olympic Park. Storm officials remained tight-lipped last night but it is believed a deal between the parties could be reached as early as today.[br /][br /]Melbourne, unbeaten after five rounds, faces the Bulldogs on May 14.[br /][br /]If given the green light, the game would be the fourth fixture in as many days at the stadium, with three AFL matches scheduled for the weekend.[br /]

S. . .
The atmosphere at the Telstra Dome will be shocking! I dont know why Melbourne Storm are moving it to Telstra Dome, we are not in Sydney and we cant pull crowds like what they do up there ???. The biggest crowd we have had is 20k+ at the MCG which was another big mistake moving it there. If they put the sides in, which i highly doubt because of AFL the following day, that might and i say might get some people in. I think the storm should have stayed at Olympic but prove me wrong. And storm will win this :D.
Silkin Storm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

From the Storm website an article from Waldron

"This has come about because of the likely unavailability of Olympic Park on that evening."

there is also an apology how it hit the papers first
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Hmm, not the greatest but if OP may not be available what else can we do? Forfeit the game?

As long as the game is played in Melbourne I'll be there, it's still the Storm after all.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Surandy wrote: Hmm, not the greatest but if OP may not be available what else can we do? Forfeit the game?

As long as the game is played in Melbourne I'll be there, it's still the Storm after all.
Totally agree there - if the game has to be moved to TD for whatever reason (and I'm glad that apparently it's not just 'because') then I'll be there with bells on - it's not as bad as if it was to be held in say .................. Albury  :P
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If it is due to OP not being available, then not much to do about it, but I really hope it's not a choice to go the TD - the place is not a rugby league friendly stadium at all - especially with our crowds unfortunately.
Also, Northern Stormer - do you see the crowds in Sydney?? We are not that far behind overall
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Ya know what, nothing personal but i really hate it how now that we are getting half decent crowds some people on this forum and other forums for that matter make all these comments about how our crowds are better and Sydney's are crap. It wasn't all that long ago our crowds were crap and one of the big reasons ours are ok at the moment is because we're winning.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree our crowds still need to grow, but I've been saying the same thing even when we were only averaging 9-10k.  Sydney clubs average about 12-13 and they pay out on our poor crowds, when they get those crowds with two sydney clubs and we have little to no visiting fans!!!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Hailstorm - I don't know if I considered our crowds crap. We struggled sometimes, but the lowest crowd I can find at a brief glance is a touch under 7,000 for a home game. I did notice several away games around the 5,000 mark. As steaming stormer has said, we have little to no visiting fans. When you compare that to a sub-10,000 intra-Sydney club match we've always been favourable. Perhaps not to the level of Brisbane, who have years more on us, and are a traditional Rugby League territory.

If we're getting 15,000 to most games with everything that works against us - for sure we should be hanging crap on the Sydney sides. Aren't they the ones who were so vocal when we were getting 7,000?
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I reckon our crowds are pretty good considering the antiquated stadium we play in. Btw our worst home crowd on record was 6,063 on 9/7/05 Round 18 vs Canberra (Saturday night game).

I can't wait for the new stadium to be built.
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy wrote: I can't wait for the new stadium to be built.
I hear you Surandy!  I trust I'm not the only one who looks over to the proposed site and imagine the new stadium in front of them.

IMO, our crowd could average up to 18K-20K per game with a mixture of the new Melbourne International League and Football (MILF) Stadium plus the entertaining and attacking style of Storm's play = The average punter watching exciting league in a purpose built stadium

Who else wants to grab the shovels and help start digging!!!
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

For the love of $DEITY please tell me that MILF stadium is a name that was made up by some juvenile male wannabee comedian and that nobody important is referring to it by that name :-)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/MILF
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
stormy bill
Squall
Squall

If we get a home final this year it will be at TD,OP does not meet the new NRL Guidlines which say's 25,000 seats.
What we do today will echo in eternity
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

mrpc wrote: For the love of $DEITY please tell me that MILF stadium is a name that was made up by some juvenile male wannabee comedian and that nobody important is referring to it by that name :-)
I believe the Honorable Victorian Premier passed this name in Parliament and is recorded in Hansard somewhere :o :lol:
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Mini Chick
Squall
Squall

If we have to , then I'll still be there. It makes one wonder why OP may not be available on a Monday night? And shouldn't we have known that ages ago - as the game scheduling has been known for a number of weeks?
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I stand by my post. In reality, its no different to the Victory fans boasting about their huge crowds this season and their need for a larger stadium. Prior to this season, the A-League and more so the old NSL and others before it, all suffered crap crowds. One good season doesn't give you the right to hang it on others when it wasn't so long ago you were in the same boat.

Seriously, anyone that does it looks like a tool.  :o