Possible Upgrade to Olympic Park

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Freeze
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

This from the Age today.

"Madden said the State Government, in selling its bid (Melbourne Super 12 rugby team), would consider funding a number of projects such as setting up a rugby academy and possibly redeveloping Olympic Park, the home of Melbourne Storm, although big games would most likely be played at Telstra Dome.

"The potential to have a Super 12 team located in the Olympic Park precinct would certainly raise the opportunity for re-investment in those facilities," Madden said." Full Story here

This will be a two edged sword, We get better facilities BUT we have to compete with Union. So over the next two years until the possible Super 12 team arrives we will need to push The Storm as hard as possible :!:
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

IMO i think a super 12 would be bad. just in the case that, lets face it, we have to fight to get 10 000 people at a game, and if we had to compte with a super 12 team as well as the afl ... well i wouldnt like to think what would happen to crowd numbers.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

If we have to share an upgraded olympic park with the rah-rahs I'd rather not have the upgrade at all.

I'd rather have that rumoured alliance with Eddie & Collingwood go ahead than have rugby played at the graveyard.
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Super 12 Rugby is always a dissapointment. I think selling it on the basis of the excitement and grand-ness of the RWC is a big mistake. Club rugby and international rugby are two different beasts.

The QLD Reds couldn't even go half way to filling Lang Park on a regular basis, and that's in a rugby safe-haven.
*Champagne football*
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

super whatever their number is only play less than 10 home games a year don't they? as long as they upgrade doesn't come with anti-league conditions, i'd be fine.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Less than 10, don't they only play 5 or 6?? I thought they only play each team once in a season.
I still don't want to see us have to compete with union after the success of the world cup.
Even my dad, who I was turning into a league fan now says that union is a better game, and I fear he's not the only one.
Don't worry though, I'm in his ear about how many bad games of union there are... most :lol:
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I can't see there is enough quality rugby players to spread over expansion teams. International rugby is great when you've got all the stars. But there are enough no names in the 3 Oz clubs at the moment.
*Champagne football*
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Personally, I would love to see Melbourne have a Super 12 team as I love the game and am sure it would be a hit in Melbourne. However, it would mean the end for the Storm, I'm almost certain of that. So unless a Roman Abromavich comes along and buys out the Storm and pumps millions into it, I can't see the Storm surviving. So I am very much on the fence on this one :?
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sitting on the fence... I am all but convinced you are not a storm fan and would rather them go so you can follow your beloved yawnion. This last comment coupled with your comment on McDougall have me baffled!

Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

steaming stormer wrote:Sitting on the fence... I am all but convinced you are not a storm fan and would rather them go so you can follow your beloved yawnion. This last comment coupled with your comment on McDougall have me baffled!
Just because I like Union and am prepared to give McDougall a fair go rather then slagging off at him, does that make me not a Storm fan???

If I had my way, there would be a Super 12 side in Melbourne as well as the Storm (and 10 Vic AFL teams), but that doesn't seem feasable.

League isn't my no.1 sport, so if I had to chose between the Storm surviving or say my beloved Kangaroos surviving, I would chose the Kangaroos everytime. Doesn't mean I'm not a Storm fan.

Pull your head in!! :roll:
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Forget Vic AFL teams, forget a Melbourne union team.....long live THE STORM!!!!!!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote:
steaming stormer wrote:Sitting on the fence... I am all but convinced you are not a storm fan and would rather them go so you can follow your beloved yawnion. This last comment coupled with your comment on McDougall have me baffled!
Just because I like Union and am prepared to give McDougall a fair go rather then slagging off at him, does that make me not a Storm fan???

If I had my way, there would be a Super 12 side in Melbourne as well as the Storm (and 10 Vic AFL teams), but that doesn't seem feasable.

League isn't my no.1 sport, so if I had to chose between the Storm surviving or say my beloved Kangaroos surviving, I would chose the Kangaroos everytime. Doesn't mean I'm not a Storm fan.

I apologise if I have read the situation wrong, but it was your comment "...However, it would mean the end for the Storm, I'm almost certain of that. So unless a Roman Abromavich comes along and buys out the Storm and pumps millions into it, I can't see the Storm surviving. So I am very much on the fence on this one" (taken from earlier this thread)

The mere thought of the storm no longer existing makes me angry, and I can't understand how any fan could sit 'on the fence' about a situation where this might occur, that's why I said what I said!![/quote]

Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

steaming stormer wrote:
Lucas wrote:

I apologise if I have read the situation wrong, but it was your comment "...However, it would mean the end for the Storm, I'm almost certain of that. So unless a Roman Abromavich comes along and buys out the Storm and pumps millions into it, I can't see the Storm surviving. So I am very much on the fence on this one" (taken from earlier this thread)

The mere thought of the storm no longer existing makes me angry, and I can't understand how any fan could sit 'on the fence' about a situation where this might occur, that's why I said what I said!!
I'm assuming that league is your no.1 spot and therefore the Storm would be your no.1 team. As a result i find it more then reasonable that you wouldn't want them to go bust. This doesn't apply to me, as I have other interests which are more important to me then the Storm. However I am not saying that I don't care if the Storm go bust or not, what I am saying is that introducing a Super 12 team to Victoria may result in the Storm not surviving - which I don't want to see. But I do want to see a Super 12 Victorian team. Therefore, I am on the fence.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks for clearing that up, at least now I understand where you are coming from.

As for me, I used to follow AFL as a Fitzroy fan so I have been through the pain of losing a team once, (twice as a giants fan in the nbl, although we are now reborn!!).
The loss of Fitzroy, coupled with the fact that I was exposed to league more regularly through pay tv have converted me to a game that I would much rather watch, as I now find AFL quite boring.
That's where my league support stemmed from, and I actually don't mind union, but would much rather league, and Victorian sports fans, in my opinion are in general a little too closed off to any new sports, and there is not the market for another foreign code in this state.

Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

steaming stormer wrote:Victorian sports fans, in my opinion are in general a little too closed off to any new sports, and there is not the market for another foreign code in this state.
Well considering the huge success of this very franchise (the Storm) in Victoria, I would have to disagree with that. Also the International Series against the Irish was a huge success in Melbourne as well. Furthermore, the RWC was very popular in Melbourne, so I would give the Victorian fans the benefit of the doubt on this one.

They are streets better then Sydney fans, who despite a huge population can only facilitate 1 AFL team, getting minute crowds to their games as well.