team named..NO WEBSTER

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

After being sidelined for four weeks with a medial ligament injury, Melbourne Storm winger Matt Geyer will return for this week's clash with North Queensland at the expense of last week's hat-trick hero Jake Webster.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has named a 21-man squad as insurance for Kiwi representatives Stephen Kearney and David Kidwell, both of whom are hopeful of backing up from Friday night's Anzac Test.

Webster is the unlucky player to miss out this week - after scoring a hat-trick in the Storm's 46-point drubbing of the Rabbitohs last Saturday, he has been squeezed out of the side to accommodate Geyer's return.

Geyer was initially expected to miss up to two months after rupturing his medial ligament against the Knights in Round 2, but has since made a rapid recovery forcing Webster back to Brisbane Norths this week.

"I was first told I would be out for between six and eight weeks and I was hoping it would be six, so to only miss four games is pretty exciting," Geyer said.

"Jake did a great job picking up three tries last week, but his chance will come again, he's only young and we've all been there. I did the same thing in 1998, I was thereabouts and had to bide my time and wait for my chance."

Rodney Howe has been named on the Storm's extended bench this week after a strong performance in the Queensland Cup that saw the former Test prop get the nod as Norths' players' player.

Young forwards Robert Tanielu, Antonio Kaufusi and Glen Turner – who returned from a calf injury last week – all played well for the Devils last week and will also be vying for a place on the Storm bench this Saturday.

"The extended bench is just there to cover the two guys we may have playing in Friday's Test match," said assistant coach Peter Sharp, who along with Dean Lance is overseeing preparations this week while Bellamy is in the Australian camp.

"The form line is pretty good, all the forwards at Norths played well last week so it will be up to the coaching staff to see how everybody pulls up on Saturday morning."

Powerful centre Ben MacDougall has not been named for Saturday night's match due to a hamstring injury but is still a slim chance of playing if he can pass a fitness test later in the week.

MacDougall was set to make a return against Souths last week but was a late omission after failing to complete the club's final training session on Friday.

"Ben will be looked at later in the week but he's not quite ready at the moment so he'll probably have another week off at this stage," Sharp added.

MELBOURNE STORM TEAM TO PLAY THE NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS, SATURDAY APRIL 24, AT OLYMPIC PARK (7.30PM):

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Geyer
3. Steven Bell
4. Matt King
5. Dustin Cooper
6. Scott Hill
7. Matt Orford
8. Robbie Kearns
9. Cameron Smith
10. Alex Chan
11. Peter Robinson
12. Stephen Kearney (c)
13. David Kidwell
Bench
14. Danny Williams
15. Kirk Reynoldson
16. Dallas Johnson
17. Ryan Hoffman
18. Robert Tanielu
19. Rodney Howe
20. Glen Turner
21. Antonio Kaufusi

IN: Matt Geyer, Robert Tanielu, Rodney Howe, Glen Turner, Antonio Kaufusi (four to be omitted)
OUT: Jake Webster

source:storm site.
i guess its good that geyer is in the team but why take out a try scoring machine???i hope geyer can pull 3 tries out of somewhere...

GO STOOOOOOOOOOOOORM :D
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Geyer doesn't need to score ANY tries to justify his position.

Competition for positions at the moment is the very tight. I can't remember us having this much depth before, both in the forwards and the backs. This is great for the team but unfortunate for the guys that get left out.

Like Boofa said, Jake is young & his time will come.
cookieduster
Squall
Squall

So true NZder......this sure is depth..boofa more than justifys his slot in any lineup any time...thats one slick foward pack.
GORT...Klatu.. Verada..Necto
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Geyer has what Webster dosnt. Experience. We need him if we are going to have
a shot at the premiership. Ive got no worries with Webster not playing this week,
his time will come.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Nah I'm not buying that "his time will come, he's still young" crap! You guys must have short memories, cos this didn't happen last year when Billy Slater made a good start to the year. We didn't just drop him when Junior Langi or whoever returned from injury just because they have more experience!! That is a crock!! Good form should be rewarded, and rewarded with a game next week at the very least!!

He should have got a game in front of Bell, Hoffman and Cooper. Good to have Geyer back in the side, no beef with that selection, but how Webster cannot be in our best 21 players this week is just ludicrous!! A spot on the bench at the very very least!!
storm007
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Iam really glad Boofa is back automatic selection, Feel sorry for Jake as he has done nothing wrong.
Might there be a place for him Kidwell can not back up after the test - Move Geyer to 5/8 Hill at lock and Jake back on the wing????????????????????????? (I think i would be dreaming. )
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Whilst I am very disapointed for Jake, surely he must understand his position in the team.

Welcome back Boofa :biggrin:
Nez
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

very strong lineup and as NZ said the depth in the team is excellent. I can see why Jake was left out, but it must have been a close call between him and cooper for the other wing spot. I still reckon theres a chance mcdougall will return this week (he fails a late test last week only to miss another couple of weeks?) and kingy or bell will take the other wing spot off cooper.

The Hill to lock thing i dunno about. If kidwell is OK then leave him there coz he's playing well.. It might be that if he isn't OK Hill will go to lock, geyer to 5/8 and mcdougall will come into the back line.. But not sure if I'd like Hill at lock, but geyer at 5/8, well :)

All possibilities though :-k

but at the end of the day, storm by 14! GO STORM!!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Webster earned another game, and a chance to consolidate his spot. Having said that, Geyer was always going to be selected when he was fit again. At the moment, I would have had Geyer in the centres ahead of Bell, with Webster on the wing for this weekend.
As for the comment about him not being in our top 21, obviously a team isn't simply picked with the best 17 players, as they may all be backs, or forwards or whatever. If he isn't on the wing, you can't have him on the bench as he is not versatile enough to play other positions at this time
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Given the performance of Jake Webster I thought he deserved another match given our current injured backs. My worry is that Boofa is being rushed back into the side too early after his injury. Is he 100% recovered?

What a difficult time for a coach to pick the team, who to put in, who to leave out, and no matter what you do someone will criticise the choices. :wink:
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Melbourne 38 (Slater 2, Geyer 2, Smith, King, Reynoldson tries. Smith 5 goals) def. Nth Qld 16 (Hannay, Bowen, Morrison tries. Hannay 2 goals)

:lol: :P :D
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

"melbourne 38- def.Nth QLd 16.."

wouldnt surprise....me :lol: you were close last time ... :D

AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

he was 1 point off

Melbourne by 45 you said
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

what???..last week earl said the score would be 54-0...i was just saying maybe he will be close again...

Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yeah, 54 - 0, I guessed last week. :lol: