2007 Trials

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

As has been mentioned Storm are scheduled to play a trial against the Titans at Coffs Harbour in 2007.

New information has come to light that another of Storm's trials will be played in Victoria. That trial will be against the Broncos and I've been told it will take place at Storm's training ground, Princess Park (aka Optus Oval).
lotti

aka our home ground for next year as OP is getting an upgrade.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Storm cat
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

lotti wrote: aka our home ground for next year as OP is getting an upgrade.
OP is not getting upgraded it is getting replaced.

Collingwood have already put out their feelers demanding Olympic Park becomes theirs as they will be losing Edward Flack Reserve (or as the refur to it the Bob "lexas" Rose Oval) where they do their training for the new stadium.
Last edited by Storm cat on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Storm cat wrote:

Collingwood have already put out their feelers demanding Olympic Park becomes theirs as they will be losing Edward Flack Field (or as they refer to it the Bob "lexas" Rose Oval) where they do their training for the new stadium.
Don't think that's going to happen,short of the 'minister for AFL' throwing in bucketloads of money for all future athletic comps to be 'relocated'. :shock:
What happened to the new site Collingwood was offered,(and work was begun on),adjacent to Goches Paddock ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy wrote: As has been mentioned Storm are scheduled to play a trial against the Titans at Coffs Harbour in 2007.

New information has come to light that another of Storm's trials will be played in Victoria. That trial will be against the Broncos and I've been told it will take place at Storm's training ground, Princess Park (aka Optus Oval).
aka MC Labour Park.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
yakstorm
Squall
Squall

Be interesting to see what type of crowd the Storm would draw at Princess Park.  Its only a trial, so its unlikely to capture and hearts and minds of even all the Storm supporters, let alone the rest of the Melbourne public, but I wonder what the Storm management would do if a significantly sized crowd (ie 12K+) turned up at the venue.
[url=http://"http://www.kangarooarmy.com"][img]http://www.kangarooarmy.com/bay331.gif[/img][/url]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Eddie's dragging his heels on the relinquishing the lease on Edwin Flack oval - he wants OP.

Great news on a trial match in Melbourne! And I'd finally be able to see some quality footy at Princess Park! :)
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

bourbon_rat wrote: Don't think that's going to happen,short of the 'minister for AFL' throwing in bucketloads of money for all future athletic comps to be 'relocated'. :shock:
Bugger !!
Spoke too soon.............
Grounds for ill feeling
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

yakstorm wrote: Be interesting to see what type of crowd the Storm would draw at Princess Park.   Its only a trial, so its unlikely to capture and hearts and minds of even all the Storm supporters, let alone the rest of the Melbourne public, but I wonder what the Storm management would do if a significantly sized crowd (ie 12K+) turned up at the venue.
I would assume that the Storm would centre their 2007 membership drive around the promotion for this trial.
Storm cat
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I was talking to my brother the other day about Collingwood trying to get Olympic park and he bought up an interesting point.

It would be useless to them with the athletics track still there as the ground would not be big enough to simulate an AFL ground. So they would need to get rid of it. You would think though that the athletics track and structure of the ground would have some sort of heritage protection in place to stop it.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

*puts on ultimate conspiracy hat*
Okay - those that know me know that I believe fervently that it's really Eddie (not little John or Backflip Bracks) who runs this place! Here's the deal:

Eddie has done the following:
* Used City Council and State government money to takeover what is now the Lexus Centre
* Used City Council and State government money to establish Edwin Flack Oval (THEY call it Bob Rose Oval)
* Obtained State government and AFL money to refurbish what used to be their home ground Victoria Park
* Forced the AFL, State Government and MCG to TRASH a $20million running track from the CommGames so they could play their precious ANZAC Day game at the MCG (original plan was to cut track up and relay it as some needy suburban ground)
* Will only relinquish their lease on Edwin Flack Oval if they are given a better alternative that Gosch's Paddock

This means - Eddie wants Olympic Park - more to the point - he wants the ground underneath. That means demolishing everything there! To do that, Athletics Victoria MUST move elsewhere. So after spending MILLIONS of money not theirs to move into the OP precint,and getting money to do up Victoria Park, they want to force AV out of the OP Precint and into Albert Park so they can demolish OP for their glorified training oval that they already have at Victoria Park but isn't fashionable enough for them anymore.

So what's the point of this state election at the end of the year?
lotti

Storm cat wrote:

Collingwood have already put out their feelers demanding Olympic Park becomes theirs as they will be losing Edward Flack Reserve (or as the refur to it the Bob "lexas" Rose Oval) where they do their training for the new stadium.
damn that Eddie, crap NRL coverage and now he steals our lucky charm not that we need it.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!