big crowd for Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
ryanstorm
Squall
Squall

The crowd was 15 000 and something our biggest in ages. Well done all the melbourne fans for going down and watching. Biily Slater played heaps good last night.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It was good wasn't it and it was on a FRIDAY NIGHT too.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
ryanstorm
Squall
Squall

I hope there is alot for the Cronulla game
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Some people who are near me were telling me during the game that there were more at the gates than they anticipated and a huge amount of people were ushered out of the que and in a side gate in front of the Western Grand Stand, were these people counted?  So there may have been more???????? Did this happen to anyone else???????????
I am back again.
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Trust me, they were counted... we saw officials scanning tickets thru the turnstiles when there was no longer a line...
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hailstorm wrote: Trust me, they were counted... we saw officials scanning tickets thru the turnstiles when there was no longer a line...
So we didn't have 15,000? What crap, not saying they weren't doing it, just think the figure was about spot on on.

Looking at the replay the only areas that looked like we could have got more people in where the bottom of the Eastern Stand and the Northern and Southern GA area's.

Here is the official figures for the different areas at Olympic Park and what they hold.

Western Stand    (Upper area)                2750
Western Terrace  (Lower area)              1800
Eastern Stand      (including GA seating)    5250
Northern Terrace  (Swan street end)        4500
Southern Terrace (River End)                  2900

Total                                                  18,500

None of the above figures include the Marquee and/or corporate boxes/rooms.

The people I was sitting with I said 15 minutes in we had 15,000 as there were very few seats (mostly singles) in the Western Stand and every corporate box was full.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

fair call just wondering if any other late comers had the same thing?
I am back again.
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I would like point out that in no way was i saying i didn't believe we had 15,000 people at the game... only reporting on what a number of us in the Bai Stand saw behind us at the Eastern entry... Grey Sub asked if certain people were counted and i guess they were from what we saw.

If they seriously wanted to bump up the crowd figures then they'd just announce a higher number like they used to do, simple as that.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought Hailstorm was simply saying that to get everyone into the game more efficiently, they were taking them through other entrances, then scanning their tickets later when there were no lines - I didn't think there was any implication that they were trying to fudge the numbers.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I certainly was getting suspicious when we saw the ticketing people scan a ticket, rotate the turnstile, then scan another ticket. Didn't look good. However, it would be explained by them letting in people and just collecting their tickets off them for scanning later (would be a problem of course if they were reserved seat patrons!)
Carl
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

It sure was nice to have a well over 10,000+ crowd at OP.  :D

It made for great viewing on TV, when the ground "looked" nearly full.  :D
Ron Supwood
Squall
Squall

Going on crowd figures over previous years friday nights looked alright to me. The formula for calculating crowd figures is always the mystery. Does it include all tickets sold (all members, corporate give aways etc) or is it actually the amount of people that attend the game.

Has smoothing been used (crowd numbers from a big crowd are taken off and added to a future game smaller crowd). The game we played against the Knights in 98 or 99 when the fog rolled in was stated as 14,000 when the joint was absolutely packed. Other games were listed as having bigger crowds but were nowhere near as full.

The formula I use for estimating (guessing) crowd figures is for a 14,000 + crowd both stands have to be full and both ends full. 

I saw an article by Michael Voss on the Brisbane Bears (Lions) last game at Carrara where the crowd was about 4,500. He reckoned the figure had been arrived at by counting everybody twice. Creative accounting is alive everywhere !!!

All I know is Friday night football rocks. Always has done and always will !!!!
grey sub
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Don't get me wrong i wasn't saying that they falsified the numbers at all, i was just concerned that not every one had been counted. and as for them putting tickets in and turning the turnsiles, the people who told me are season ticket holders and i have spoken to them and they never had their memberships taken off them just checked. :)
I am back again.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Just been speaking to someone involved in the match day productions for State of Origin here at the Dome. Apparently, the crowd figure listed was the tickets SOLD, not the actual attendance which according to him was 3,500 less. Puts a dampener on Wednesday night. But it also shows that on any stage, the figures can be altered!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

So did anyone else know someone who got free tickets with the 'showbags' given out at the Origin game Wednesday nite???
I know of 8 people who got em, they were those passes given out to the VRL kids & officials but the people I know got in as adults.

It all helps with the crowds I guess.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!