Hill quits Storm for big English quid

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I am surprised that none of the Hill bashers have yet to post this.

From Storm website:
Hill quits Storm for big English quid
Saturday, June 3, 2006

Source: Herald Sun

MELBOURNE Storm stalwart Scott Hill will quit the club at the end of the season to play out his career in England.

The inaugural Storm five-eighth's manager Brian Satterley told the club last night that Hill was prepared to forgo the final two years of his contract in favour of a stint in the English Super League.

Hill, 29, is understood to have received lucrative offers from London Harlequins, Castleford, Hull and Salford.

The shock decision comes less than a month after Hill was dropped from the top grade for the first time in his stellar 11-year career.

Having been suspended for two matches for making contact with a referee in Round 5, coach Craig Bellamy then dumped Hill, citing the former international's poor form as the reason.

He played one match for feeder side North Sydney, then was recalled. At the time Hill told the Herald Sun he feared he was being forced from the club. Under the conditions of his contract, Hill needed to play 12 first grade games in 2006 to qualify for the final two years of his five-year deal.

He vowed to fight for his career, saying he had no interest in playing in England. But after weeks of discussion with his manager and young family, Hill has had a change of heart.

"Scott has informed us that he wishes to travel with his young family and experience playing in the UK before he retires," Storm recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan said last night.

"We have agreed to release him. It was not an easy decision for club or player."

Hill and Matt Geyer are the only players left from Storm's inaugural season in 1998.
It'll be interesting to see what the Storm do for a 5/8th next year. Will Inglis get first shot?
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thats a shock, it will be a shame to see scotty go, I will have to get
one more photo with him before he leaves.

Possible 5/8 replacements in no particular order:
Geyer
Inglis
Crocker
Aubusson
or some other player off contract.

I dont reckon Inglis should move to 5/8. I dont see why he should have to move there and make 15-20 more tackles a game when he can stay at fullback and be more lethal in attack.

Thats what was good about Hill, although he wasnt the sharpest attacking player like we know he can be, he got through 25 tackles a game a few hitups, and he is fairly sizeable. I think Scotty fitted in well with Cam and Inglis, bummer.
DontMakeBenCross
Squall
Squall

If Hill wasnt dropped due to poor form for a game this year, would he have stayed?

Aubusson's form in the QLD Cup has not been to flash but I would still give him or Inglis first shot.
[b]Ben Ikin to Adam Mogg:[/b][i]Moggy its Benny Ikin here mate, who was the best staff member in camp and why was I!?[/i]
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hill, 29, is understood to have received lucrative offers from London Harlequins, Castleford, Hull and Salford.
Should be interesting since SL clubs can only have 3 overseas players next season.Salford have already withdrawn from a race to sign Adrian Morley because 'they don't have the cash'
Cas & Quinns are normally season cellar dwellers & I think Hull is already top heavy with imports.

For the record................I'd HATE to see him at Wigan ,even though they desperately need a decent half ;)
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
DontMakeBenCross
Squall
Squall

Isnt Barrett going to Wigan?

He is a decent half even if he is a sook.
[b]Ben Ikin to Adam Mogg:[/b][i]Moggy its Benny Ikin here mate, who was the best staff member in camp and why was I!?[/i]
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote: I am surprised that none of the Hill bashers have yet to post this.
No member of the HBA has posted this coz last I heard they were all at the pub celebrating.

\:D/  \:D/  \:D/ :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion7: :occasion7:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Well theres a bit of money now freed up to buy one.

(As well as ertain existing talent).
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
DontMakeBenCross
Squall
Squall

Lets see....

Reni Maitua - Has played some 5/8th but dosent seem like a great half.

John Morris - Has had time under Joey Johns and is in a halfs combination with Tim and Jeremy Smith at the moment.

Jamie Lyon - Can play 5/8th and center and is an international player.

Kurt Gidley - Turns 24 next week, being chased by West Tigers after loosing Scott Prince to the Titans and is a good talent.

Travis Burns - Great young player, competive and is tough but has givin away the most penalties in the NRL at the moment.

Daniel Fitzhenry - Played ome 5/8th but IMO wasn't very good maved the move to the wing and it suits him much better.

Theres a list of players who can or do play 5/8th that are off contract or coming off. I don't think we will chase any of them but some would be worth having a look at.
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think we need buy a 5/8, simply because of the fact that ATM there is no ready made replacment.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Earl wrote:I think we need buy a 5/8, simply because of the fact that ATM there is no ready made replacment.
I don't necessarily agree. Look at last year, a lot of people (including some Storm supporters) didn't rate Cronk as a ready made replacement for Orford.

The good thing about Hill signalling his intentions is it gives Bellamy time to trial a few options before they make a decision on whether to buy or develop a 5/8th for next year.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Who ever didn't rate Cronk had no idea about his preformances at 5/8 "working with" Orford.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Good on the Herald Sun, the story made page two of the sports section.
DontMakeBenCross
Squall
Squall

Every since we have been in or around the top 3 we have got alot of Coverage, I wonder how much coverage we would get if we were the Melbourne Rabbitohs and played the same as they do at the moment? None.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

i think we all saw this coming awhile ago.

good luck to hilly in england!
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Going on his first half performance tonight, he's already in england.