Round 7: Melbourne v Newcastle

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
OzHEDude
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I reckon Johns will do a benji/gower. He'll play for my money. Anyone wanna bet $1??
Disclaimer:
The above is not a personal attack, insult or a political statement. Therefor it cannot be used against the poster in any court of judgement.
stormgirl
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Wouldn't take those odds :) He'll play, and unfortunately he'll play well.

However, I'm predicting a thrashing by us  :P How can they not with 10,000 rabid, league-deprived fans cheering them on.  Now, if only someone could teach most of the crowd to cheer out loud, rather than on the inside...

Go special Coke! Even more special this year, it's special No Coke!
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Newcastle Team:

1. Milton Thaiday
2. Brian Carney
3. Matthew Gidley
4. George Carmont
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Kurt Gidley
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Craig Smith
9. Danny Buderus (C)
10. Josh Perry
11. Steve Simpson
12. Clint Newton
13. Reegan Tanner

14. Adam Woolnough
15. Daniel Tolar
16. Riley Brown
17. Todd Lowrie
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

Referee: Russell Smith
Colour: B/G
Sideline Officials: Matt Cecchin, Allan Shortall
Video Referee: Bill Harrigan
girvie
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has named a 19-man squad for this Saturday night?s Round 7 clash against the Newcastle Knights. The game will be the first at Olympic Park for season 2006, starting at 7:30pm (AEST).

After their convincing 40-18 win over the Penrith Panthers at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide, the Storm sit in 6th position on the Telstra NRL Premiership table. The Knights sit in 2nd place after their 18-16 defeat at the hands of the undefeated Cowboys at Energy Australia Stadium.

Jake Webster will return to the starting line-up after being a late omission from last week?s team when he failed a fitness test on his hamstring. Ryan Hoffman makes way for Webster and will return to the bench.

Matt Geyer will continue to deputise for the suspended Scott Hill at five-eighth.

Matthew Bartlett, after several fine performances for North Sydney in the New South Wales Premier League, has been named in the first grade squad for the first time as 19th man.

Squad for Saturday?s game:

Starting team:
1. Greg Inglis
2. Jake Webster
3. Matt King
4. Chris Walker
5. Steve Turner
6. Matt Geyer
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Garrett Crossman
9. Cameron Smith
10. Brett White
11. David Kidwell
12. Michael Crocker
13. Dallas Johnson

Interchange:
14. Ian Donnelly
15. Ryan Hoffman
16. Jeremy Smith
17. Adam Blair
18. Nathan Friend
19. Matthew Bartlett
(two to be omitted)

Coach:
Craig Bellamy

- I am very surprised that Bartlett has been named. I have been a little dissapointed with his form at the Bears. Feeney is a bit unlucky.
Last edited by girvie on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.mightybears.com

www.northsydneybears.com.au
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yay Crocker is playing!  :D So much for him being injured (I hope that doesn't jinx him). I can't believe they are putting Walker in the centres  :shock: hopefully he proves me wrong.

Dammit LR! you didn't do a good enough job on Johns .....we will have to get him better next time a partial tear isn't good enough to get rid of him (dammit) We will have to go with Plan B      :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/stormbec/banner-new.jpg[/img]
James
Squall
Squall

StormBec wrote: can't believe they are putting Walker in the centres  :shock: hopefully he proves me wrong.
Yeah, a Turner/Walker defensive combo isn't exactly fearsome, is it?

[-o< please be a typo...
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Damn - Russell Smith was PATHETIC when he reffed the Dogs and Rabbits on Monday... but then again, there really aren't any good options when it comes to refs this year I suppose...
lotti

yeah but look at what happened to Benji when he came back too early, Joey won't make that mistake that's the reason why Terry Hill didn't come back when he wanted to the medical staff of at Manly didn't want to risk agravating the injury and I'm sure the Newcastle medical staff will be exactly the same they won't want to risk Joey he's their star player so sorry Newcastle it looks like the graveyard will strike again(touch wood).
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Insomniac wrote: Damn - Russell Smith was PATHETIC when he reffed the Dogs and Rabbits on Monday... but then again, there really aren't any good options when it comes to refs this year I suppose...
From the games I've seen this year I'd have to say Clark has been better than Smith.

Oh, and OzHEDude, I'll take that bet.
tdcockers
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Insomniac wrote:but then again, there really aren't any good options when it comes to refs this year I suppose...
i thought that bloke who took over in the second half of the knights/cowboys game did a very good job, especially seeing how much pressure was on the bloke and he was on debut. admittedly, i didn't get to see the entire second half, so i am happy to be corrected...
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

turner>wing =many tries down that side.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don't see the problem everyone is having with Steve Turner. He seems fine in defence to me. The tries that do go down his side are usually big overlaps, and no single player can be blamed for that.

Matt Kings defence so far this year has been pathetic, yet everyone seems fine with him.

Hopefull Bellamy plays Webster in the centres and Walker on the wing. Thats just my opinion though.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

No i mentioned kings defence a few weeks ago...but IMO it hasnt been as bad as Zappa's. Turner rushes up and in...which causes the overlaps. Normally its ok becasue webster or geyer have enough speed to get back and make a tackle but turner isnt as fast as those guys so once they are through the line they are away.

As a whole the defence outwide needs improving.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Earl wrote: I don't see the problem everyone is having with Steve Turner. He seems fine in defence to me. The tries that do go down his side are usually big overlaps, and no single player can be blamed for that.

Matt Kings defence so far this year has been pathetic, yet everyone seems fine with him.

Hopefull Bellamy plays Webster in the centres and Walker on the wing. Thats just my opinion though.
I'd be happier with Walker on the wing and Jake in the centre's. But I really feel that we'd be better off putting Steve Turner back at fullback where he is a MUCH better player and Ingliss back into the centre's.

I know he was sensational against the Panthers at fullback but I feel that is due more to being over the hip-injury he had rather than just moving position. Turner is great at backing up the ball so we wont lose much if he go's back to fullback and our backline will look at lot better defensively.