Move to Optus Oval

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
endike
Squall
Squall

Rumour has is that attempts will be made to Move Storm "Games " to Optus Oval. In my opinion ,this will be a disaster for us. Worse than that foray to Telstra Dome. Its to far out ,no parking hard to reach by public transport, and its an OVAL, not a rectangle. Mr Waldron, if you are sensible, Stop it now, if O.P. is not available, play away until it is (6weeks Iam told). For what it is worth, I support Storm, but will not renew my membership until this issue is clear. Iwill not frequent Optus Oval for anything.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

endike wrote:Rumour has is that attempts will be made to Move Storm "Games " to Optus Oval. In my opinion ,this will be a disaster for us. Worse than that foray to Telstra Dome. Its to far out ,no parking hard to reach by public transport, and its an OVAL, not a rectangle. Mr Waldron, if you are sensible, Stop it now, if O.P. is not available, play away until it is (6weeks Iam told). For what it is worth, I support Storm, but will not renew my membership until this issue is clear. Iwill not frequent Optus Oval for anything.
Hard to reach by public transport? The Coburg North tram line goes right past the ground (route 19), also there's two train stations within about 1km walk from the ground on the Epping line. And that's not counting the tram routes that travel along Lygon St.

I can't really comment on Optus Oval as I've never actually been to that ground. I'd say Buzz would be a good judge as to whether it'd be any good, ie better or worse than OP.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

It's not a large ground by any stretch of the imagination - though I'm not sure if it's physically bigger than PhoneDome. Surface is still regarded as the best in Australia by many. Facilities (believe it or not) would actually be BETTER than OP. If games were to move - it's clearly a short term option particularly if Eddie gets his way and demolishes OP for his running track.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Went to the Australia v England RL Test that was at Optus and although it was a crap day (weather wise) it was ok as a supporter.

You could see everything, though you were a little further away from the field than what we are at O.P.

With O.P., being 'locked down' for the Com. Games it is good to see the club and the NRl looking for grounds to play games at. My worst fear is that the first 7 weeks of the season would be all away games because of the games.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
endike
Squall
Squall

Surendy, 7000 fans ....trams.... . Stormwarning, Iwas there , but it was a one off.
lotti

they have to do something for home games during the Commonwealth Games.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
CronkNo7
Squall
Squall

One of the worst grounds I have ever been to see a game of AFL at..
[b][u][color=darkblue][size=18px]Welcome To The No.7 Jersey Cronk[/size][/color][/u][/b]

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/bula_stormer/bannercronk.jpg[/img]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

CronkNo7 - You're either a Collingwood fan, or you absolutely love the Dome! :) Princes Park is the last Melbourne suburban footy ground - it's what footy grounds should be like. It's like comparing the Graveyard to Stadium Australia and calling the Graveyard a shyte stadium!(not that I'm saying you do...).
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

[quote=""Stormwarning[c"]"] My worst fear is that the first 7 weeks of the season would be all away games because of the games.[/quote]

I thought this was what was happening, at least for the first 5 weeks, ie it had already been decided by the NRL/Storm?
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

jellyhead wrote:[quote=""Stormwarning[c"]"] My worst fear is that the first 7 weeks of the season would be all away games because of the games.
I thought this was what was happening, at least for the first 5 weeks, ie it had already been decided by the NRL/Storm?[/quote]

Yeah i thought waldron said that we would be playing away for the first 5-7 weeks. I dont think its actually that bad if it happens....because we get more home games in the later part of the season. and more chance of coming home strongly.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
stormdolls
Squall
Squall

We agree Kingy,it isn't a bad idea to play those away games first,then we will have that "Run Home"
he not she.
Honi Soit Qui Mal-y Pense
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

stormdolls wrote:We agree Kingy,it isn't a bad idea to play those away games first,then we will have that "Run Home"
he not she.
yep..the knights had the same thing last year..

Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Last time we had the first four games away we lost them all.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The article I read Waldron wanted the season to start late which the other CEO's said no. Waldron has requested for all games during the Com Games to be played away, as yet the NRL haven't agreed to it.

And don't think the draw will be backend...i.e more home games at the end of the season.

Look for, if it happens to be around SoO and mid season.

Endlike, I know it was a one off, but I still thought it was ok, and lot better than that roofed place. (apart from the Broncos game)
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote:Last time we had the first four games away we lost them all.
that was last time.